Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

President Trump

President Trump

Old Feb 12th 2017, 8:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Trump

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post

Politeness is not a requirement.

Some actions and policies are not "polite", nor do they merit a polite response.
Civility from either side I don't see as a negative and certainly could help encourage a more reasoned and productive dialogue. That video clip didn't appear to show people who were interested in in being civil, just shouting and being noisy.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 8:53 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
I see nothing wrong with her deciding to stay in New York to keep her son in same school, same friends, and have more time to care for him. I grew up in different countries because of my father's job and yes sometimes my father went ahead and the rest of us didn't move until school year ended.

As far as attending dinners there will be many state dinners, but I think to her credit she puts interests of her son first.

Whether she has other motivations I don't know, nor care, though I realize that for some it is appropriate to make comments about the families of politicians.
Yes. Mrs Trump and her son did not choose to run for president. "First Lady" is not a paid job and there is no constitutional or diplomatic or political need for a First Lady. Let Lord Dampnut stew in his own juice. He will destroy his presidency by himself and with the help of his malevolent coven - and the sooner the better.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 8:55 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I see nothing wrong with her deciding to stay in New York to keep her son in same school, same friends, and have more time to care for him. I grew up in different countries because of my father's job and yes sometimes my father went ahead and the rest of us didn't move until school year ended.

As far as attending dinners there will be many state dinners, but I think to her credit she puts interests of her son first.

Whether she has other motivations I don't know, nor care, though I realize that for some it is appropriate to make comments about the families of politicians.
She's the FL and as such shouldn't really be able to pick and choose which dinner she attends. That's just rude to whatever visitor she decides isn't worthy of her time. Her husband decided to do this she has to suck up the inconvenience to her life.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 9:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20 View Post
She's the FL and as such shouldn't really be able to pick and choose which dinner she attends. That's just rude to whatever visitor she decides isn't worthy of her time. Her husband decided to do this she has to suck up the inconvenience to her life.
She wasn't elected so isn't obligated to attend state dinners. These aren't personal guests in the majority of cases. If she decides to devote her time to her child I think that is more admirable than attending state dinners.

My own opinion is the expense of these state dinners is an insult to the working poor for that matter.

Trump gives more than enough cause for his opponents to attack him, families should be off-limits.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 9:15 am
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

She wasn't elected so isn't obligated to attend state dinners. These aren't personal guests in the majority of cases. If she decides to devote her time to her child I think that is more admirable than attending state dinners.

My own opinion is the expense of these state dinners is an insult to the working poor for that matter.

Trump gives more than enough cause for his opponents to attack him, families should be off-limits.
She is reportedly sueing a UK national newspaper for the damage it has done to her business interests.
The presidents family are not supposed to use their position to enhance their personal finances.
Family have never been off limits, why should Trumps be any different.
She is no Nancy Reagen, No Michelle Obama, maybe that is the difference.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 9:21 am
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

You can be sure, that keeping Melania out of the public eye is a calculated political risk management strategy, not some "family values" thing.

Melania is a victim (and a convenient pawn). She is just a "trophy wife" with no interest in politics or business. The claim of damage to Melania's "business interests" is nothing more than an attempt to protect Donald's interests (and ego).

Also, she probably knows where some of the bodies are buried...

Last edited by amideislas; Feb 12th 2017 at 9:32 am.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 9:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by EMR View Post
She is reportedly sueing a UK national newspaper for the damage it has done to her business interests.
The presidents family are not supposed to use their position to enhance their personal finances.
Family have never been off limits, why should Trumps be any different.
She is no Nancy Reagen, No Michelle Obama, maybe that is the difference.
Two wrongs don't make a right- I felt the same way concerning families of other Presidents regardless of party that they should be off-limits.

I don't know any specifics how she is using positon of her husband to specifically further her business interests so cant comment on that.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 9:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
You can be sure, that keeping Melania out of the public eye is a calculated political risk management strategy, not some "family values" thing.

Melania is a victim (and a convenient pawn). She is just a "trophy wife" with no interest in politics or business. The claim of damage to Melania's "business interests" is nothing more than an attempt to protect Donald's interests (and ego).

Also, she probably knows where some of the bodies are buried...
I have no idea whether her being out of public eye is her decision or some political risk decision, and I suspect at this stage no else does either. I quite do not understand that if she doesn't have an interest in politics or business how that makes her a "trophy" wife.

Victim of what ?
Old Feb 12th 2017, 9:57 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I see that his 'state' visit to the UK may be moved to Birmingham instead of London, not too sure what Lizzie's opinion of that will be.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/donald-tru...214500589.html
Old Feb 12th 2017, 10:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
Was reading the headline before I noticed the picture of 'Trump'....
That's not him ,it's Alex Baldwin
Old Feb 12th 2017, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Ingles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond reputeIngles has a reputation beyond repute

You may like this one as well.

Gov. Brown to Trump: 'We’ve got Scientists, We’ve Got Lawyers and We’re Ready to Fight'
Old Feb 12th 2017, 2:08 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Sears, Kmart add to defections from Trump brands

You mean, that exclusive, top-shelf Trump brand associated with sophistication and luxury?

Wow... What other exclusive, high-end retailers will be dropping posh Trump brands? Wal-Mart? 7-Eleven?

Update: Well, I'll be damned. It turns out you can bet on it (as well as all other things Trump):

Trump impeached? You can bet on it

The prospect that the president won't make it through his term is big business for bookmakers.

“Trump is the gift that keeps on giving,” Paddy Power’s Davey said. “We’ve got a bonanza of betting specials on The Donald. When Trump took to Twitter this week to defend [daughter] Ivanka after Nordstrom dropped her clothing line, we were out with a [betting] market on next retailer to drop the Ivanka brand next.” (The current favorites are TJ Maxx at 4-to-1, Walmart at 5-to-1 and Amazon at 6-to-1.)

Last edited by amideislas; Feb 12th 2017 at 2:42 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 3:17 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah but Trump isn't working in another country. And they have a plane. A plane. Unless she actually attends school along side her son, I'm pretty sure she can help a president out.

You are the one doing most of the "commenting". Obviously you think it's appropriate to make comments ... but only as long as we're saying something flattering?

FWIW, I'm not criticizing Melania Trump for not wanting to be in the middle of that shit show in DC. I would do the same thing in her situation. I'm just taking exception with you parroting back the ridiculous idea that somehow it's the only way she can possibly be a good mother.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 3:38 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
Yeah but Trump isn't working in another country. And they have a plane. A plane. Unless she actually attends school along side her son, I'm pretty sure she can help a president out.

[snip]

FWIW, I'm not criticizing Melania Trump for not wanting to be in the middle of that shit show in DC. I would do the same thing in her situation. I'm just taking exception with you parroting back the ridiculous idea that somehow it's the only way she can possibly be a good mother.
Exactly. Plenty of working mothers have children in school, and Jr is better protected than most. Though how 'normal' his schooling stays remain with a couple of Secret Service agents is subjective.

I disagree with a previous poster though, who commented that Mrs Trump wasn't elected so shouldn't have to do First Lady duties. I highly doubt Conservative Christian America would allow a potential Presidential candidate who wasn't married to be nominated.
Old Feb 12th 2017, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

At last a respected journalist has written a article about what a lot off people have been thinking !

Andrew Sullivan says journalists should be talking about

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.