Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

President Trump

President Trump

Old Feb 10th 2016, 7:56 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Trump

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Last time I checked an American citizen is free to vote for whoever they want to.
Im no fan of Trump but he is saying things that other won't. Why is that?
How many agree with him on building the wall to keep illegals out? Those that don't are OK with illegal immigration then?
Some people are ok with illegal immigration, yes. Some question the legality in the first place. And then there's the sticky question of repatriating illegals that have grown up American. Trump is a buffoon, no matter how you slice it, and his supporters are no better.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 8:09 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I checked an American citizen is free to vote for whoever they want to.
Because he's a sensationalist with an ego the size of Texas who knows that his best (only?) way to get attention is to shock people.

How many agree with him on building the wall to keep illegals out? Those that don't are OK with illegal immigration then?
I have no idea how many agree, but can you imagine what on earth it would take to build such a wall and police it? It's an insane idea.

Your second question is a straw man.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 8:22 pm
Doin' It Right

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Because he's a populist. He's saying the things his targeted demographic wants to hear. In previous years he's been politically independent or has identified as a Democrat.

Does anyone actually think that building a 2,000 mile long wall is the answer? I don't think even Trump thinks that, it's insane. What next, anyway, somehow illegals get in from Canada so they build a 4,000 mile wall up there and send Trudeau the bill? It's ludicrous. Guess what - illegal immigrants can catch planes and enter with forged documents. Oh yes, they can ...

12 million illegal immigrants sounds like a big number to the casual observer. It's the population of Illinois - wow, a whole state, that's huge, right? But it's about 3% of the total population of the US and a great many illegal immigrants are working jobs Americans wouldn't take anyway, for less than minimum wage (and are probably paying taxes, too). Who is really getting the short end of the stick in that arrangement anyway? Cheap labour and taxes, even if it's indirect in the form of sales tax for the US but shit pay, shit conditions and probably a shitty house for the illegal who risked their life to come here in search of 'The American Dream™".

Anyone who would actually vote for that man, who would seriously consider 4 or 8 years with him at the helm, needs their bumps read.
Old Feb 10th 2016, 10:04 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Real? Not real?
Attached Thumbnails President Trump-trump.jpg  
Old Feb 10th 2016, 10:30 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
He's only a joke candidate if you believe that slaughtering Muslims in their home countries is a good thing - a joke, indeed. Every one of his rivals except Sanders is a warmonger whose idea of fun is attacking with rockets those whom they genuinely regard as sub-human. Speaking of "fun", it's on record that drone pilots refer to children living in Afghanistan villages as "fun-sized terrorists". All of Trump's rivals accept this idea of fun; he doesn't. Is that a joke?
I worry that you actually believe what you have written here. What on earth makes you think that Trump is any less centred on American exceptionalism than any other candidate? What on earth gives you the impression that he gives a flying whatsit for the well-being of Muslims, in their home countries or anywhere else? Are you watching the same campaign as the rest of us? What's your evidence (a link or two, say - beyond Ed Pilkington's article in the Guardian and references to that article) for your assertion that "fun-sized terrorists" was really a thing, or that all other candidates except Sanders accept as "fun" the idea of launching drone strikes on children? War, like diplomacy, is a serious business. I think politicians get that. Trump is not a politician, quite certainly is no diplomat, and frankly has no damn clue how to conduct foreign policy.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 2:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Boiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond reputeBoiler has a reputation beyond repute

Love him or hate him he is certainly stirring things up and some will vote for him.
A lot will vote for him and I can think of simple solutions to many of the issues, but there has to be a will.
Old Feb 11th 2016, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian View Post
... your assertion that "fun-sized terrorists" was really a thing, or that all other candidates except Sanders accept as "fun" the idea of launching drone strikes on children? War, like diplomacy, is a serious business. I think politicians get that. Trump is not a politician, quite certainly is no diplomat, and frankly has no damn clue how to conduct foreign policy.
Warmongers regard the bombing of civilians as "fun" in the sense that they don't regard the murders as a problem. They speak loosely, and jocularly, of nuking the Middle East. ("I don't know if sand turns to glass with a nuclear explosion, but I'll be glad to find out.") As for knowing how to conduct foreign policy, I don't think Trump would conduct it any worse than the last few Presidents. He is a loudmouth and a blowhard, and he might - in office - turn out to be just another happy slaughterer of villagers in faraway places; it's an Imperial Presidential tradition, after all. But he has never actually voted in favour of the slaughtering, and all of his rivals have. So if I had to choose, I would choose him as the least likely to do it.

I write from a human-rights perspective, and I regard Middle Eastern lives as no less important than Western lives. I can't guarantee that Trump will agree with me on that, but I know that none of his rivals will.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 10:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Warmongers regard the bombing of civilians as "fun" in the sense that they don't regard the murders as a problem. They speak loosely, and jocularly, of nuking the Middle East. ("I don't know if sand turns to glass with a nuclear explosion, but I'll be glad to find out.") As for knowing how to conduct foreign policy, I don't think Trump would conduct it any worse than the last few Presidents. He is a loudmouth and a blowhard, and he might - in office - turn out to be just another happy slaughterer of villagers in faraway places; it's an Imperial Presidential tradition, after all. But he has never actually voted in favour of the slaughtering, and all of his rivals have. So if I had to choose, I would choose him as the least likely to do it.

I write from a human-rights perspective, and I regard Middle Eastern lives as no less important than Western lives. I can't guarantee that Trump will agree with me on that, but I know that none of his rivals will.
Strangely enough my Prof Brother agrees with you Gordon. If only that this loud mouth buffoon would be the only one capable of breaking up the cartel of money and privilege that has ruled the USA for as long as we can remember.
I am guessing that the Koch brothers will be involved in the final selection though

As to building a wall!! Anyone watching the stunning 'CHINA' series on BBC?

Thats exactly what they did. After inventing some of the most important things in the history of the world,having the greatest Empire in the world,the largest ships in the world, to 'discover' half of it before we even knew it wasn't flat.(and way before Columbus)

They got an invasion from the North that shook their confidence so much they built a WALL. The largest on earth.Can be seen from space. Is this ringing any bells? It didn't stop them imploding and turning in on themselves,becoming isolationists. is this the future for the USA?.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 10:52 am
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeniB View Post
...Can be seen from space...
... is a myth.

Sorry - just me being my usual, boring, fact-finding, myth-dispelling self.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 12:54 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
... is a myth.

I thought your post a little surprising until I saw it refers to not being seen with the Unaided eye at a distance equivalent to that of the Moon.

Sorry if I trumped you a little on that, but I was a little curious.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 3:01 pm
F.orum Ape

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I see where you are coming from, but his pronouncement on Mexicans and Muslims suggest he has very low intelligence. He is respected (grudgingly or effusively) primarily because of his great wealth & showmanship, but it is more than possible that he is a genuine imbecile. We have seen enough of him in the past three decades that if he were smart something would leak out, but instead, we see he nearly bankrupted himself, is obsessed with ostentation (including his wifery), has squandered his 'talents' on reality TV and beauty pageants, and has a deep history of xenophobia. He's even willing to rely on confirmed moron Sarah Palin to back his campaign. I used to give him some credit for having gone to Wharton, but on reflection, money may have spoken there too. There just seems to be too much evidence stacked against his capability and character. I don't think 'hasn't voted for war YET' is sufficient grounds to deem him the least worst option.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

GeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond reputeGeniB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jimenato View Post
... is a myth.

Ha! maybe I should amend that to satellite,or ISS (on a good day) whatever, It's big.

Last edited by GeniB; Feb 12th 2016 at 5:32 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

paw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
I see where you are coming from, but his pronouncement on Mexicans and Muslims suggest he has very low intelligence.

I tend to disagree its possible he's being very clever. Maybe his comments are just about getting noticed but also maybe its about shifting the political agenda. For example by calling for all Muslims to be banned from the US it then becomes much more reasonable to talk about banning all people with higher risk links to certain Middle Eastern countries and not to take large number of refugees from high risk countries. His comments also create "space" for people to discus more "reasonable" immigration restrictions without being accused of being an extremist.

Last edited by paw339; Feb 12th 2016 at 6:35 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 7:52 pm
F.orum Ape

Originally Posted by paw339 View Post
I tend to disagree its possible he's being very clever. Maybe his comments are just about getting noticed but also maybe its about shifting the political agenda. For example by calling for all Muslims to be banned from the US it then becomes much more reasonable to talk about banning all people with higher risk links to certain Middle Eastern countries and not to take large number of refugees from high risk countries. His comments also create "space" for people to discus more "reasonable" immigration restrictions without being accused of being an extremist.
Those are effects from his speeches, but I very much doubt they are intended, because frankly, I don't believe he has a genuine political drive. He is driven by his ego, no more, no less. Cleverness does not enter into it IMO.
Old Feb 12th 2016, 8:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

paw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond reputepaw339 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Those are effects from his speeches, but I very much doubt they are intended, because frankly, I don't believe he has a genuine political drive. He is driven by his ego, no more, no less. Cleverness does not enter into it IMO.
You could be right but time will tell I suppose.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.