Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

President Trump

President Trump

Old Sep 29th 2020, 2:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Trump

The lady arrested last week at the US border after mailing ricin letters to Trump and some Texas police, was ready for something.

"Pascale Ferrier was also carrying a loaded semi-automatic handgun, a knife and a backpack stuffed with 294 rounds of ammunition, a stun gun, pepper spray, a collapsible baton and false U.S. identification when she was arrested on Sept. 20 crossing into the United States from Canada, U.S. prosecutors allege."

Parts of the letter contained:

“I found a new name for you: ‘The Ugly Tyrant Clown’ I hope you like it. You ruin USA and lead them to disaster,” it said, in part, authorities allege. “I don’t want the next 4 years with you as president. Give up and remove your application for this election.

“This gift is in this letter. If it doesn’t work, I’ll find better recipe for another poison, or I might use my gun.”

When she got to the US border she apparently told officers she was wanted by the FBI.

She is a dual citizen of Canada and France, and when arrested had a fake Texas ID similiar to the fake Texas ID she had on her when arrested in Texas in 2019.

She gained Canadian Citizenship in 2015.

Her lawyer a public defender tried to get her released pending next court day but the judge ordered her to remain in custody.

No word mention if the gun was purchased legally in Canada, or where she obtained it, she may also face additional state charges in Texas.

National Post
Old Sep 29th 2020, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
The lady arrested last week at the US border after mailing ricin letters to Trump and some Texas police, was ready for something.

"Pascale Ferrier was also carrying a loaded semi-automatic handgun, a knife and a backpack stuffed with 294 rounds of ammunition, a stun gun, pepper spray, a collapsible baton and false U.S. identification when she was arrested on Sept. 20 crossing into the United States from Canada, U.S. prosecutors allege."

Parts of the letter contained:

“I found a new name for you: ‘The Ugly Tyrant Clown’ I hope you like it. You ruin USA and lead them to disaster,” it said, in part, authorities allege. “I don’t want the next 4 years with you as president. Give up and remove your application for this election.

“This gift is in this letter. If it doesn’t work, I’ll find better recipe for another poison, or I might use my gun.”

When she got to the US border she apparently told officers she was wanted by the FBI.

She is a dual citizen of Canada and France, and when arrested had a fake Texas ID similiar to the fake Texas ID she had on her when arrested in Texas in 2019.

She gained Canadian Citizenship in 2015.

Her lawyer a public defender tried to get her released pending next court day but the judge ordered her to remain in custody.

No word mention if the gun was purchased legally in Canada, or where she obtained it, she may also face additional state charges in Texas.

National Post
'scuse my ignorance, but what's the normal state of affairs at the Canada / US border, when driving? Is it a 'wave through' type of thing, or does everyone have to stop and show ID / passport / etc? Would she have a reasonable expectation of not getting questioned beyond a quick flash of ID? Seems terribly risky for her to be carrying all that across the border in a car!
Old Sep 29th 2020, 4:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
'scuse my ignorance, but what's the normal state of affairs at the Canada / US border, when driving? Is it a 'wave through' type of thing, or does everyone have to stop and show ID / passport / etc? Would she have a reasonable expectation of not getting questioned beyond a quick flash of ID? Seems terribly risky for her to be carrying all that across the border in a car!
Typically you had over your passport, the officer then looks you up on the computer, asks a few questions like "where you going" "where do you live" "bringing anything to the US that will remain" etc etc, if your not raising any red flags, passports handed back and off you go.

If your raising red flags you may get called into the office where a more detailed screening will take place, search vehicle and person, and belongings.

It's a quick process for most, so not exactly a wave through, but not checking every car either physically.
Old Sep 29th 2020, 5:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Typically you had over your passport, the officer then looks you up on the computer, asks a few questions like "where you going" "where do you live" "bringing anything to the US that will remain" etc etc, if your not raising any red flags, passports handed back and off you go.

If your raising red flags you may get called into the office where a more detailed screening will take place, search vehicle and person, and belongings.

It's a quick process for most, so not exactly a wave through, but not checking every car either physically.
Don't some people literally commute every day across the border?
Old Sep 29th 2020, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm thinking this tax return issue could finally be the 'thing' that injures him. People in the US will put up with a lot, but I don't think they like the idea of a rich person getting away without paying taxes - legally or not. His responses so far suggest he's been caught with his pants down ...
Old Sep 29th 2020, 6:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Don't some people literally commute every day across the border?
Yes, especially back east in Ontario.

You can apply for NEXUS card if you cross enough to justify it and go through the process, this gets you dedicated lanes to cross, shorter wait times at the border and airports.

Fair amount of cross border families, couples, its more and more common with dating apps for people to meet cross border, if you use say Tinder and say choose within 50km radius, such apps will show you people on both sides of the border, and plenty meet and date, it's why there are now people who go to the border along 0 Ave and Peace Arch Park to meet up, they can stay in the respective countries but be close enough to talk in person.

Photo here of one such example, but it's repeating all along the BC border in the lower mainland.

This is from 2016, but Canada has a decent population of US Citizens.

Last edited by Jsmth321; Sep 29th 2020 at 6:12 am.
Old Sep 29th 2020, 7:54 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking this tax return issue could finally be the 'thing' that injures him. People in the US will put up with a lot, but I don't think they like the idea of a rich person getting away without paying taxes - legally or not. His responses so far suggest he's been caught with his pants down ...
The damning bits include payments he's made. Consulting fees to Ivanka (even though she's an employee of the Trump organisation), pouring money into his failing businesses while profiting from using his own property for government functions. The disappointing thing is NYT says they don't have evidence of payments from Russia (though you wouldn't expect there to be a file marked "Russian Money"). Given the opportunity, and a few simple tools, I think I could get the whole story out of Rapey Don in half an hour.
Old Sep 29th 2020, 10:38 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

There is much discussion about an audit. If you fail an audit and have to pay, does that constitute breaking 'taxation related laws'?

I think the issue here is not 'legal/illegal', but rather, moral/immoral or even simply, fair / unfair. If someone who claims to be rich and successful is seen to be not paying a dime in taxes, I think most people are going to have a negative opinion regardless of whether it is technically illegal or not.
That lets Trump off then. Even his supporters can't legitimately claim he has any morals.
Old Sep 29th 2020, 2:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, especially back east in Ontario.

You can apply for NEXUS card if you cross enough to justify it and go through the process, this gets you dedicated lanes to cross, shorter wait times at the border and airports.

Fair amount of cross border families, couples, its more and more common with dating apps for people to meet cross border, if you use say Tinder and say choose within 50km radius, such apps will show you people on both sides of the border, and plenty meet and date, it's why there are now people who go to the border along 0 Ave and Peace Arch Park to meet up, they can stay in the respective countries but be close enough to talk in person.

Photo here of one such example, but it's repeating all along the BC border in the lower mainland.

This is from 2016, but Canada has a decent population of US Citizens.
We have NEXUS and often cross the border at a dedicated NEXUS crossing between Ontario and NYS. Only NEXUS travelers are allowed to use this crossing. We are asked the same questions as non NEXUS travelers using other crossings.
Old Sep 29th 2020, 3:10 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
The damning bits include payments he's made. Consulting fees to Ivanka (even though she's an employee of the Trump organisation), pouring money into his failing businesses while profiting from using his own property for government functions. The disappointing thing is NYT says they don't have evidence of payments from Russia (though you wouldn't expect there to be a file marked "Russian Money"). Given the opportunity, and a few simple tools, I think I could get the whole story out of Rapey Don in half an hour.
yeah, that's going to come back to bite him if the auditors follow the trail. I read that the nominal company that Ivanka washed that consulting fee through had income exactly equal to the consulting fee, which means that the Trump organizaation was its only client. In Canada and the UK, at least, I know that that situation means that the consultant/contractor is deemed to be an employee, and therefore should be taxed as such. And if Ivanka was also already on the payroll of Trump Org, it looks even murkier.
Old Sep 29th 2020, 4:28 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.statista.com/chart/23047..._nBr_Rj-VtvtS4

Old Sep 29th 2020, 4:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I've always believed the Trumps are essentially a "crime family". Nothing that's happened in the last four years has caused me to change that opinion.
Old Sep 29th 2020, 4:54 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
I've always believed the Trumps are essentially a "crime family". Nothing that's happened in the last four years has caused me to change that opinion.
Nothing in the past four generations.
Old Sep 29th 2020, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
We have NEXUS and often cross the border at a dedicated NEXUS crossing between Ontario and NYS. Only NEXUS travelers are allowed to use this crossing. We are asked the same questions as non NEXUS travelers using other crossings.
I don't think there are any specials crossings for NEXUS users along the BC border, just a lane at the usual crossings and depending on crossing, the NEXUS lane may also have limited hours and not available 24/7.

At Pt Roberts the Nexus lane could often have a longer and slower line up than the regular lane...lol

We only cross 1-2 times per year in a normal year by land, and maybe once every 2-3 years by air, so I don't find Nexus worth it for us, we don't cross often enough to justify it.
Old Sep 29th 2020, 9:24 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think there are any specials crossings for NEXUS users along the BC border, just a lane at the usual crossings and depending on crossing, the NEXUS lane may also have limited hours and not available 24/7.

At Pt Roberts the Nexus lane could often have a longer and slower line up than the regular lane...lol

We only cross 1-2 times per year in a normal year by land, and maybe once every 2-3 years by air, so I don't find Nexus worth it for us, we don't cross often enough to justify it.
this is the crossing I was referring to...

https://www.ezbordercrossing.com/lis...rapids-bridge/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.