Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

President Trump.

President Trump.

Old Feb 23rd 2020, 8:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: President Trump.

The man in The White House is important to all of us. God grant that the incumbent loses in November. Give us someone of the calibre of FDR or Honest Ike (who coined the expression "The Military-Indiustrial complex")
Old Feb 23rd 2020, 8:38 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47 View Post
The man in The White House is important to all of us. God grant that the incumbent loses in November. Give us someone of the calibre of FDR or Honest Ike (who coined the expression "The Military-Indiustrial complex")

There are certainly no FDRs amongst that lot running for Dem nomination. As for Ike ? Always remembered as the Supreme Commander Allied Forces in Europe WW2. Carried out an extremely difficult job the least of which was dealing with difficult men, De Gaulle, Montgomery and Patton and did it well so all credit to him in that respect. Played a lot of golf as President. Never really addressed the issue of civil rights, segregation and the lack of voting rights in the southern States, Presided over an era of prosperity in the US due in part to the rest of the industrial world either destroyed or still bankrupt Became militarily involved in Vietnam.

Were in not for the Vietnam war I would place Lyndon Johnson as one of the equals of FDR as regards the domestic accomplishments that were achieved.
Old Feb 23rd 2020, 8:49 pm
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
On a note just about this as I am not interested in the squabbling.

Who is admin and president of the USA is of importance to people outside of the USA as the policies implemented by that admin can and does impact on others around the world. It is of importance. Now you or the people of the USA may not care about this or the entire rest of the world but not everyone is like that are they. Some, like me & I would hope many USCs, are greatly concerned as we tend to look beyond our own patch as it were. I look at the entire world as it is all that I have to live on. I don't want division, partition, degradation. I want more than that for everything and everyone.

Written like that it may sound a bit something or other but I have only had one cup of tea so far. Hopefully I have got over my meaning. Why it is and should be on everyone's radar as to who sits in the White House, particularly given the current backward trends.

Does that make a sense to you ?

I see nothing wrong in what Trump has done so far domestically or foreign policy wise. We are in no wars other than the Afghanistan debacle which was none of his doing. He sent militarily forces in the fight to eliminate ISIS. He has (hopefully) managed to make the other NATO countries pay more towards defence. Domestically the economy is in the best shape in a couple of decades, unemployment at it's lowest and has managed to bring some order and control to the border with Mexico. From the point of view of someone not a US resident I would be interested to hear how his being US President has negatively impacted your country in any way.
Old Feb 23rd 2020, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop View Post
I see nothing wrong in what Trump has done so far domestically or foreign policy wise. We are in no wars other than the Afghanistan debacle which was none of his doing. He sent militarily forces in the fight to eliminate ISIS. He has (hopefully) managed to make the other NATO countries pay more towards defence. Domestically the economy is in the best shape in a couple of decades, unemployment at it's lowest and has managed to bring some order and control to the border with Mexico. From the point of view of someone not a US resident I would be interested to hear how his being US President has negatively impacted your country in any way.
Well, I don't usually disagree with you, koop, but continuing an unnecessary war is just as bad as starting one. I say "unnecessary" because I don't consider any war for oil or Israel's security to be necessary. A war to make the MIC players rich is inexcusable.
Old Feb 23rd 2020, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

nain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond reputenain rouge has a reputation beyond repute

"Who runs this country here is of no importance to you. Trump is ours by democratic vote. He can also be replaced by democratic vote come November or he can be voted back again by democratic vote" .

"I would imagine that I speak for a few millions when I say "who gives a fiddlers fart" over what people in a non-leading EU country think of Trump. It's ours to deal with"

Then perhaps you, koop., would listen to someone who has been born and bred in the U.S. (as have generations of my ancestors). Who runs this country is of vital importance to me.

Donald is NOT "ours" by democratic vote. He actually LOST the 2016 election by 3 million votes; due to an antiquated, byzantine election system created in the 1780's designed to allow slave-holding states to keep their slaves (the Electoral College), however, we have an occupant in the White House who got far fewer votes than his opponent. Also, it is common knowledge that both the Russians and Julian Assange did all they could electronically to deny Hilary Clinton the election. (You do not seem to be concerned that these "foreigners" were more than commenting on our elections.) Thirdly, he most certainly committed treason by openly asking for a foreign nation to meddle in our elections (the Ukraine), but due to the willingness of his party (read: Mitch McConnell) to brazenly ignore the facts, he remained in office despite his crimes. He is certainly not "ours"; he is a "Putin President", or as he loves to say about the press, a "Fake President"

Lastly, you are skating on very thin ice when YOU tell other people in different countries to mind their own business. As a "furreiner" yourself, maybe you can follow Donald's advice and "go back to wherever the hell you came from" . (Not so nice when it's put back into YOUR face like that, is it?).

Last edited by nain rouge; Feb 23rd 2020 at 9:02 pm. Reason: fix spelling
Old Feb 23rd 2020, 9:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Well, let's see.... Regina doesn't like Trump. Balearic islands don't, and so far, those two are on your shitlist.

Are there any other places in the world that don't like Trump? I think your shitlist must be getting pretty long by now.
As I already said it's a matter of irrelevance to 95 percent of US voters what countries like or dislike Trump. It's ours to deal with as a democratic society.

But hey ! A quick comment on Spain as an aside. Years back we stayed with some friends in Alcira or Alzira. It was my first and only visit. It was not a very large city but I have never seen so many sick and starving dogs wandering the streets as I did while there. Our friend was one of the very seemingly few who cared. She would leave food out every afternoon for the wandering packs of dogs some who were plainly crippled. She also brought food to a whole legion of stray cats who had taken up residence on the roof of her house. I hope that this attitude to animals is not typical of the rest of the country. Animals are often far more likeable than humans IMO

The Americans love their animals, the Canadians, the French, the British and the Germans also. They say a country can often be judged by the way it treats it's animals so correct me if I'm wrong with respect to Spain. Oh blimey.... the bullfights. (forgot about that), Why is it that I always hope that the bull gets to stick his horns up the matador where the sun don't shine?

Last edited by dc koop; Feb 23rd 2020 at 9:15 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2020, 9:27 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by nain rouge View Post
"Who runs this country here is of no importance to you. Trump is ours by democratic vote. He can also be replaced by democratic vote come November or he can be voted back again by democratic vote" .

"I would imagine that I speak for a few millions when I say "who gives a fiddlers fart" over what people in a non-leading EU country think of Trump. It's ours to deal with"

Then perhaps you, koop., would listen to someone who has been born and bred in the U.S. (as have generations of my ancestors). Who runs this country is of vital importance to me.

Donald is NOT "ours" by democratic vote. He actually LOST the 2016 election by 3 million votes; due to an antiquated, byzantine election system created in the 1780's designed to allow slave-holding states to keep their slaves (the Electoral College), however, we have an occupant in the White House who got far fewer votes than his opponent. Also, it is common knowledge that both the Russians and Julian Assange did all they could electronically to deny Hilary Clinton the election. (You do not seem to be concerned that these "foreigners" were more than commenting on our elections.) Thirdly, he most certainly committed treason by openly asking for a foreign nation to meddle in our elections (the Ukraine), but due to the willingness of his party (read: Mitch McConnell) to brazenly ignore the facts, he remained in office despite his crimes. He is certainly not "ours"; he is a "Putin President", or as he loves to say about the press, a "Fake President"

Lastly, you are skating on very thin ice when YOU tell other people in different countries to mind their own business. As a "furreiner" yourself, maybe you can follow Donald's advice and "go back to wherever the hell you came from" . (Not so nice when it's put back into YOUR face like that, is it?).

Oh yes the Electoral College whinge. Democrats love to whinge. They whinge about most things in existence. But let me ask you. If Hillary had won over Trump by a large number of Electoral College Votes would that have become yet another whinge? IF Sanders beats Trump by the ECV system will the whinging stop? If the ECV system is scrapped to be replaced by the Popular Vote system and a distant future Republican candidate beats the Dem candidate by the PV system will the same whingers resurface with complaints about that system?

For heavens sake stop making excuse for Hillary. She was an awful candidate from the beginning. So bad in fact that Trump managed to hijack the traditional Democrat blue collar voters from her camp and Bernie hijacked the younger Dem voters to his camp. It was hers to lose. Plain and simple

Last edited by dc koop; Feb 23rd 2020 at 9:31 pm.
Old Feb 23rd 2020, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

On a cross country drive from Vancouver to Halifax I would say Regina is a good place to stop off for a gas fill up and a quick bite at a take out.
Nah if going Vancouver to Halifax by car unless you really want to see Canada, you will probably dip south of the border and avoid Alberta, SK, MB. Driving US interstates is also much nicer.

Old Feb 23rd 2020, 9:47 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Gordon Barlow View Post
Well, I don't usually disagree with you, koop, but continuing an unnecessary war is just as bad as starting one. I say "unnecessary" because I don't consider any war for oil or Israel's security to be necessary. A war to make the MIC players rich is inexcusable.
I think Trump was wrong to scrap the deal with Iran. It wont achieve much in the long run. Iran can only change from within and a large number of Iranian are not anti-American but a possible future war would only drive them over in support of the current regime. Israel isn't a cause worth fighting for as far as the US is concerned and Israel with it's military capability is quite capable of dealing with any future aggressor very effectively.
Old Feb 23rd 2020, 9:52 pm
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but anything Obama must be scrapped ...except for the riding the economic wave he started. Donny can take all the credit for that! Otherwise, if Obama's fingerprints are on it, in the loo it goes.
Old Feb 23rd 2020, 9:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Nah if going Vancouver to Halifax by car unless you really want to see Canada, you will probably dip south of the border and avoid Alberta, SK, MB. Driving US interstates is also much nicer.

Did the drive from Vancouver to Banff along Canada One a few years back. The scenery was well worth the trip. Liked Banff very much. Canada One isn't the best of highways to drive though
Old Feb 23rd 2020, 10:19 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't do that much these days, Greyhound pulled out of western Canada, there is a patchwork of smaller bus lines who moved in, but not sure one can get to Ontario using the patchwork system left behind.

Via is pretty limited to a couple days a week, and expensive, driving is expensive, really no affordable way to get around Canada, well except hitchhiking. I wouldn't mind seeing Atlantic Canada but it costs so much to get there so never have.

Generally cheaper to take a trip to the US than to travel within Canada.

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
I did the 'Toronto to Vancouver' (and back!) thing in the 70s also. But I gave up trying to hitch-hike - too few cars were picking up - so I bought a rather amazing Greyhound bus pass for $75 that allowed me to traverse the country (both ways) for a stupidly low price! This was my first ever trip outside the UK, and I must say - I was ill-prepared for the distances involved! I was on a tight budget so slept on the buses and made my own sandwiches from ingredients bought at stores along the way - no meals at 'rest stops' for me!

This was an actual photo I took back then ... probably taken somewhere near Regina! I think I saw this 'view' for a couple of days (with VERY few cars!).

Old Feb 24th 2020, 1:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

This week's installment of why Trump is completely unfit to be president - pardons for sale:

"For those who didn’t receive the Fox News treatment, it appears that in at least one case, cold hard cash did the talking. Paul Pogue, a construction company owner who pleaded guilty to underpaying his taxes by $473,000 and received three years probation, was issued a full pardon and clemency by the president.

According to FEC filings, Pogue’s family has donated hundreds of thousands of dollars in direct contributions and in-kind air travel to the Trump Victory Committee. Beginning in August 2019, Ben Pogue—CEO of Pogue Construction and son of Paul Pogue—and his wife Ashleigh made over $200,000 in contributions to the campaign.

In August alone, Ben Pogue donated $85,000 to Trump Victory while Ashleigh Pogue contributed $50,000 that month. The following month, Ben Pogue made an in-kind air travel contribution of $75,404.40. The couple also made several large donations to the Republican National Committee and each donated $5,600 to Donald Trump for President Inc"

But, hey, the economy is doing well...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-...-news?ref=home
Old Feb 24th 2020, 3:09 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
This week's installment of why Trump is completely unfit to be president - pardons for sale:

"For those who didn’t receive the Fox News treatment, it appears that in at least one case, cold hard cash did the talking. Paul Pogue, a construction company owner who pleaded guilty to underpaying his taxes by $473,000 and received three years probation, was issued a full pardon and clemency by the president.

According to FEC filings, Pogue’s family has donated hundreds of thousands of dollars in direct contributions and in-kind air travel to the Trump Victory Committee. Beginning in August 2019, Ben Pogue—CEO of Pogue Construction and son of Paul Pogue—and his wife Ashleigh made over $200,000 in contributions to the campaign.

In August alone, Ben Pogue donated $85,000 to Trump Victory while Ashleigh Pogue contributed $50,000 that month. The following month, Ben Pogue made an in-kind air travel contribution of $75,404.40. The couple also made several large donations to the Republican National Committee and each donated $5,600 to Donald Trump for President Inc"

But, hey, the economy is doing well...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-...-news?ref=home
This would not pass our conflict of interest test at work.
Old Feb 24th 2020, 4:21 am
Banned

The Latinos now refer to Sanders as Tio (uncle) Bernie. They think if he's elected it will be Navidad 365 days a year

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.