Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

President Trump.

President Trump.

Old Feb 9th 2020, 10:40 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: President Trump.

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
That might explain why Trump supporters are mostly older and less educated.
WSJ had (Sept '19) an interesting article on the growing economic disparity between Democrat and Republican voting districts. I dont have a subscription but managed to read it before being denied. I assume it has a x views per month or whatever, this link includes some of the data
https://www.democraticunderground.com/111686588

if you have access, the original
https://www.wsj.com/graphics/red-economy-blue-economy/
Old Feb 9th 2020, 10:57 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Are you saying we should listen to Maher now, and not Trump? Does Trump know you're cheating on him? Trump says it's A-OKAY to make fun of sick people, dying people AND dead people. Where were you when Rushie the Lushie (see what I did there?) went out of his way to attack Michael J Fox and accused Fox of exaggerating his Parkinson's symptoms?

Old Feb 9th 2020, 11:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
Are you saying we should listen to Maher now, and not Trump? Does Trump know you're cheating on him? Trump says it's A-OKAY to make fun of sick people, dying people AND dead people. Where were you when Rushie the Lushie (see what I did there?) went out of his way to attack Michael J Fox and accused Fox of exaggerating his Parkinson's symptoms?
Where was Boiler? He was busy being an "independent", of course....
Old Feb 10th 2020, 4:20 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
Given McConnell has already stated that "entitlements" - including Medicare and Social Security - must be reduced, it certainly isn't alarmist bullshit if we end up with Trump as president and the Republicans in charge of both houses. And Trump himself has already raised the prospect:

https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...ocial-security

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christi.../#54151a9f394b

And here's what McConnell said after the Trump tax "cuts" were enacted:

https://www.newsweek.com/deficit-bud...lement-1172941

Cutting Social Security and Medicare amounts to political suicide so it wont happen. Never mind what McConnell says
Old Feb 10th 2020, 6:12 am
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Why would that be "political suicide"? Lots of things Trump does would be by all standards "politically suicidal", but his base doesn't care.

They could make all the cuts to social security and Medicare they want, and then simply have Trump tweet how he "saved" it from the "dems' slashing". Surely that would be sufficient?

Last edited by amideislas; Feb 10th 2020 at 7:09 am.
Old Feb 10th 2020, 1:23 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
These elections have almost in some ways become a last ditch effort for boomers to hold power, they realize their time of rule is nearing the end and doing all they can to retain the power they have had for so many decades and they don't like it. The nastiest comments I have seen come from boomers, like why do the boomers hate their kids and grand kids so much?
I don't get that mentality. I didn't have a difficult childhood by any means, but I still want my kids to have a better life than I did.

Originally Posted by carcajou View Post
Do you actually have any understanding of how universal health care or the stock market work?
I don't care about the stock market so don't waste my time, or bore me trying to explain it to win fake internet brownie points.

The point about replacing the current system in the US with universal healthcare is that while taxes will go up, everyone conveniently forgets to also mention that copays and premiums will go away. Easy to sit there in Australia and play armchair quarterback when there is absolutely zero chance a serious illness or injury could bankrupt you or your family and friends, and/or render you or them homeless, but you go off.

Yes, Usual Suspects, identity politics is a right-wing thing and no one on the extreme left would ever invent or embrace it and use it to dive into witch hunts with wild abandon. Usual Suspects have never been at war with Eurasia, always been at war with Eastasia. Identity politics? No, never ever!
Identity politics is the plaything of the neoliberals, and in the US at least, they are on the right.

I love all the Newspeak on this thread.
I love all the people who don't live in the US coming in here to lecture everyone.

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
Will the #nevertrumpers stop at nothing?
https://globalnews.ca/news/6525816/t...an-line-photo/

That face when you open the oven to check on your tendies.
Old Feb 10th 2020, 4:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Why would that be "political suicide"? Lots of things Trump does would be by all standards "politically suicidal", but his base doesn't care.

They could make all the cuts to social security and Medicare they want, and then simply have Trump tweet how he "saved" it from the "dems' slashing". Surely that would be sufficient?
Indeed. He would use the same tactics he's trying to use regarding protecting those with pre-existing medical conditions. Hint for the koop's of this world - he's actually doing everything to remove protections.

"Trump’s Claim He ‘Saved’ Preexisting Conditions ‘Part Fantasy, Part Delusion"

https://khn.org/news/trumps-claim-th...part-delusion/

So, koop, better watch that Trump keeps his government hands off your Medicare if he gets re-elected. 'Cos he won't. In fact, but for the Democrats winning back the House in '18, it would already have happened.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Feb 10th 2020 at 4:39 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2020, 9:33 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing View Post
I don't get that mentality. I didn't have a difficult childhood by any means, but I still want my kids to have a better life than I did.
You know its just us younger people not working hard enough,if we just work harder we can afford that $1 million dollar fixer upper, or that 2,000 a month 1 bedroom apartment rental, all while making a wage nowhere close to what is needed, median household income here is barely 80,000, average fixer upper pushing 1 million, simple math, its not about lack of hard work.

You need an income so above the median household to own a house here now, its not because people don't work hard enough, there are a lot of well educated, skilled professionals who's wages are insufficient to own (nurses, teachers, paramedics wages all below what is needed to own a home here now.)

I could work 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, never sleep and still not make enough to buy a house here, pretty sad huh? Of course if I just work a little harder, things will work out even if there are physically not enough hours in a day to do so.

Old Feb 11th 2020, 12:31 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently we haven't finished with the Native Americans yet.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51449739

What is someone had blown up Christian graveyards and sacred places?
Old Feb 11th 2020, 12:42 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Apparently we haven't finished with the Native Americans yet.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51449739

What is someone had blown up Christian graveyards and sacred places?
This is something that should have never been allowed along with the 2005 law mentioned in the article.

"2005 REAL ID Act, which gives the federal government the right to waive laws that conflict with US national security policy."

Why have laws if they can just be waived.

Old Feb 11th 2020, 4:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Old Feb 11th 2020, 4:45 am
Banned

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
Indeed. He would use the same tactics he's trying to use regarding protecting those with pre-existing medical conditions. Hint for the koop's of this world - he's actually doing everything to remove protections.

"Trump’s Claim He ‘Saved’ Preexisting Conditions ‘Part Fantasy, Part Delusion"

https://khn.org/news/trumps-claim-th...part-delusion/

So, koop, better watch that Trump keeps his government hands off your Medicare if he gets re-elected. 'Cos he won't. In fact, but for the Democrats winning back the House in '18, it would already have happened.
So here we have a Republican Senator whose district is made up of around 70 percent white with a substantial number of retired baby boomers and out of that group a percentage of 45-50 percent are Republican registered voters. Just supposing Trump got his cuts to Medicare through the Senate and Congress and our Republican Senator was one of those who voted for the cuts. What would he tell his bloc of senior voters when he runs for another term? Do you honestly think that those old folks who rely on Medicare and social security checks still vote another term for him. The 30 percent of the non white population in his district probably already vote Democrat. He's gone man ! Gone ! Finished ! Kaput ! Much as our GOP Senator supports Trump he's not going to lose his seat in the Senate for Trump. That's a no brainer

And again I have to repeat that Trump is subject to checks and balances. Unless his cuts are approved both in the House and Senate they'll go nowhere. His powers are limited by the Constitution. I seriously doubt that the Republicans will win back Congress anywhere in the near future

Last edited by dc koop; Feb 11th 2020 at 4:49 am.
Old Feb 11th 2020, 4:58 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
You know its just us younger people not working hard enough,if we just work harder we can afford that $1 million dollar fixer upper, or that 2,000 a month 1 bedroom apartment rental, all while making a wage nowhere close to what is needed, median household income here is barely 80,000, average fixer upper pushing 1 million, simple math, its not about lack of hard work.

You need an income so above the median household to own a house here now, its not because people don't work hard enough, there are a lot of well educated, skilled professionals who's wages are insufficient to own (nurses, teachers, paramedics wages all below what is needed to own a home here now.)

I could work 7 days a week, 24 hours a day, never sleep and still not make enough to buy a house here, pretty sad huh? Of course if I just work a little harder, things will work out even if there are physically not enough hours in a day to do so.
So Vancouver is pretty much in the same unaffordable mess as San Diego, Los Angeles and San Francisco are ?
Old Feb 11th 2020, 5:07 am
Banned

You forget that much of his base are old white voters. How many of them would be willing to see their Medicare coverage trashed and their S.S checks cut by a third ?. Don't forget that the Baby Boomers who are retiring in ever increasing number for the most part haven't (according to statistics) saved enough money for retirement. Your comment above makes absolutely no sense at all.
Old Feb 11th 2020, 5:21 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dc koop View Post
So Vancouver is pretty much in the same unaffordable mess as San Diego, Los Angeles and San Francisco are ?
Apparently we are the 2nd least affordable city in the world when it comes to housing.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-...n-world-report

"Vancouver’s median multiple of 12.6 is the second worst (Hong Kong’s median is 20.9) among the 91 cities ranked. Vancouver’s median is the same as last year after Sydney’s affordability improved slightly (11.7 from 12.9.)"

We have no democrats here, and up until 2 years or so ago, BC Liberals which are actually conservative more than liberal where in power, if anything the leftist NDP in power now has done more, but they have to tow a fine line since they don't have a majority government and require support of the green power to maintain government.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Feb 11th 2020 at 5:28 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.