Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

President Trump

President Trump

Old Nov 8th 2019, 10:09 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Trump

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
I noticed you'd gone because a) I recently re-read Animal Farm and b) it brought to mind your signature.

I've been itching to let you know it's absolutely true, having had to up my dosage of tea per pot just these last few months (as a true and proper tea lover, I still measure in teaspoons, by the way )
I reread Animal Farm a couple of years ago. I think it’s been 50 years since I read 1984, I should give it another go. I love some of his novels, like Keep the Aspidistra Flying and Clergyman’s Daughter, and I dip into the essays & journalism every so often.

Tea, I like weak if I’m drinking Earl Grey or any black tea without milk. But yeah, if I’m having milk in it I like it strong or else I find it tastes insipid. Loose tea, I usually get one of the M&S blends such as Gold or Extra Strong. If I’m buying it in the US, I get Yorkshire Gold teabags - they’re pretty good..
Old Nov 9th 2019, 1:28 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
He's still "promising" it:

"Trump says he will announce 'phenomenal' new healthcare plan within the next two months"

https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...led-out-2019-6

That was five months ago.
He'll be releasing his healthcare plan in a very short period of time.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 2:10 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop View Post
How would you know it's wrong? Do you use the NHS yourself? Hardly not. It's probable that if you lived in an urban area the wait might not be so long but in the crowded, densely populated Greater London area 8 weeks could be the norm.
Read back what you said about the average waiting time in the UK is 8 weeks to see a regular doctor. You're wrong.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 2:16 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post

My mother died of dementia in 2006. From 2000 to 2005, she lived on her own in the family home - I talked to her on the phone every day, and she had home visits on a frequent basis from various NHS teams. Every three months, her GP would “drop in” to have a cup of tea and “a chat.”

Her GP was a very pleasant young German man. My mother would recount the conversation, and it was all her quizzing him, did his fiancée still live in Germany? When were they planning on getting married? When did he last go to Germany to visit her? (Etc.) When I talked to him, apparently the visit was all about him administering the dementia tests, assessing her home situation... so which was true??

Oh that sounds so much like my mum! She often 'remembers' things very differently to us five offspring I'm sorry you lost your mum to dementia, it's a horrible thing.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 2:18 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post

Finally! Someone noticed I was gone!
Just because I'm not throwing myself at you like SoS doesn't mean I didn't notice.

Unicorn farts and farrago in one day . . . I just can't even.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 2:23 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
Just because I'm not throwing myself at you like SoS doesn't mean I didn't notice.

Unicorn farts and farrago in one day . . . I just can't even.
He's lovely isn't he
Old Nov 9th 2019, 2:27 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
He's lovely isn't he
Best.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 2:32 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
Googling on the phrase used, thinking Koop may have pasted it, I found a daily mail article from August 2019 saying
I don't think it was a bad guess, just Koop's usual misinformation.

And why would that be a good idea? Using up valuable hospital resources because you can't get in to see a regular doctor. Bloody silly idea.

My experience is out of date but one of the reasons for waiting a few days - in my time in the UK - was because the hours available were something 8.30am - 10.00am and again from something like 4.30pm - 6.30pm.

The reason for times being so limited were because for the greater part of the day the doc was out making house calls. Imagine that, the doctor calling on you because you were too ill to go but not bad enough to require hospital resources.

Can anyone with more recent UK experience confirm if this is the same?

Of course, as LiW says there are walk-in clinics available (just like Canada) where one can be seen the same day, also without wasting hospital resources.
The clinic belongs to the local hospital and is run by them. It has long hours, but not 24 hour. It does help unclog the emergency room at the hosp, where my son also had to go once because he started to feel very ill in the night after throwing etc for 48 hours straight (food poisoning), and the non-emergency number he called told him to go to the ER, where he was seen immediately since he couldn't stop throwing up and they put him on a drip and administered an anti-emetic "in the French manner" One unhappy young man, but very glad of the way they took care of him.

Of course there are places and times with long waits and not enough beds, which is shameful in the wealthy UK, but these fake horror stories retold to justify the extortionate for-profit model in the US are just as shameful.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 2:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I wish doctors in BC did that, or allow it. I know there are some doctors/clinics doing web type visits, but my GP doesn't but sometimes there is something where you don't need to actually go in and see the doctor, but would be helpful to ask the doctor something, but only option is to make an appointment and go in, no phone calls, no emails.

My doctor typically books a week out, but she only does appointments part-time now, usually 3 hours a day, the doctors I had who worked full-time typically could get in within a couple days.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse View Post
My doctor was sometimes held up with home visits, but there was always a doctor available for emergency appointments. Yes doctors routinely make home visits, at least in the area I lived in. It's not just the person is too sick to go to hospital, they do home visits for people who are are elderly and frail, and find it difficult to get out of the house.

There were also a couple of occasions when I needed to speak with my doctor but didn't need a face to face appointment. I'd call reception in the morning and was always given a time when the doc would call back, usually 5 - 6pm. And she did call back within those times.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 2:44 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dc koop View Post
Again. Not what I've heard from people who have had recent experience with the NHS. Here under my insurance if I called my doctors office and said I wanted an appointment same day they probably wouldn't be able to accommodate me. I can therefore go down to the Urgent Care Clinic a five minute drive away and be seen by a doctor at that facility and pay nothing. If they diagnosed me as a hospital case they would arrange for me to be transported to the hospital. But.........it's not always a smell of roses..... I would have to pay 200 dollars for the ambulance ride to that hospital. The hospital stay and any surgery or specialized treatment needed would be no charge to me. My insurance would cover it
Anecdotes are not data.

You are wrong.

https://fullfact.org/health/gp-appoi...waiting-times/

And a few wait times for some non-urgent surgeries in a London clinic.

There are things to fix in the NHS, but your anecdotes are simply untrue. I understand that you want the for-profit American system to be better, but you can't make it so by repeating nonsense that you "heard" somewhere.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 2:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Those wait times are not bad at all, far better than what we have in BC.....

Pretty impressed actually.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 5:37 am
Concierge

Originally Posted by magnumpi View Post
Could he actually make it to president? If so, who would he fire
This is the thread starter, magnumpi's opening post.

Of course, as we all now know, the answer is 'almost everyone'!
Old Nov 9th 2019, 5:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Maybe if it didn't require so much money to run for president we could get some better candidates, it is pure insanity how long and how costly US elections have gotten for president.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 5:52 am
BE Site Lead & Admin

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321 View Post
Maybe if it didn't require so much money to run for president we could get some better candidates, it is pure insanity how long and how costly US elections have gotten for president.
I'd totally go along with that.
Old Nov 9th 2019, 6:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond reputedc koop has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
I noticed you'd gone because a) I recently re-read Animal Farm and b) it brought to mind your signature.

I've been itching to let you know it's absolutely true, having had to up my dosage of tea per pot just these last few months (as a true and proper tea lover, I still measure in teaspoons, by the way )

Ooooooh! How itchingly cozy! Do you take your sugar one lump or two? Personally tea made me fart a lot and it's my considered opinion that it's mainly overall for wankers but I still measure my bourbon two fingers for Friday evenings and three fingers for Saturday evenings............... by the way.

Last edited by dc koop; Nov 9th 2019 at 7:13 am.

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.