Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

President Elect Biden

President Elect Biden

Old Oct 13th 2020, 1:33 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: President Elect Biden

Will the Florida arrival show be another of Trump's spreader events? Masks apparently were not a thing. The race is tight there, he should probably stop killing his supporters.
Old Oct 13th 2020, 1:37 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Will the Florida arrival show be another of Trump's spreader events? Masks apparently were not a thing. The race is tight there, he should probably stop killing his supporters.
I don't know if all states do early voting, but if you vote early and then die of COVID before election day, does your vote count? I would think not, but do they check?
Old Oct 13th 2020, 1:41 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles View Post
I don't know if all states do early voting, but if you vote early and then die of COVID before election day, does your vote count? I would think not, but do they check?
Logically speaking, I would guess not. Your vote was legally cast within the designated time frame. And I don't see how they could possibly check - the counts would take for ever.

Old Oct 13th 2020, 2:09 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Logically speaking, I would guess not. Your vote was legally cast within the designated time frame. And I don't see how they could possibly check - the counts would take for ever.
This very topic came up today! I think we resolved it. Early voting starts tomorrow in Texas.

Me: I need to look up my closest polling place. I want to vote early in case I die from covid before November 3.
Coworker: Dead people aren't allowed to vote.
Me: I won't be dead when I vote.

Done.
Old Oct 13th 2020, 2:30 am

Originally Posted by Leslie View Post
This very topic came up today! I think we resolved it. Early voting starts tomorrow in Texas.

Me: I need to look up my closest polling place. I want to vote early in case I die from covid before November 3.
Coworker: Dead people aren't allowed to vote.
Me: I won't be dead when I vote.

Done.

That's sorted then.

Revenge from beyond the grave.
Old Oct 13th 2020, 2:38 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

That's sorted then.

Revenge from beyond the grave.
I'm going for it! Let's face it, if I'm dead on November 3rd and I haven't voted yet, I'll stand zero chance of being counted. MATH!
Old Oct 13th 2020, 2:43 am

I'm going for it! Let's face it, if I'm dead on November 3rd and I haven't voted yet, I'll stand zero chance of being counted. MATH!
Not according to Trump. If you vote by mail or early, and you're dead, and you vote not Trump, you'll be counted 14 or 15 times at least.
Old Oct 13th 2020, 2:51 am
WTF?

Not according to Trump. If you vote by mail or early, and you're dead, and you vote not Trump, you'll be counted 14 or 15 times at least.
I'm glad you brought that up because I got that one figured out too. I don't know what early voting is like in other states but here you can vote anywhere in the county when voting early. This year I'm doing something a little different, I'm going to find the whitest neighborhood in my county and vote there.

Sorted.
Old Oct 13th 2020, 2:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
538 ratings are here if anyone is interested.
Thanks for that! Now, is there any clear mapping from 'TV Network' or 'Newspaper' to the various polling companies? That is, when CNN and Fox quote a polling number, do they typically always use the same firm?
Old Oct 13th 2020, 3:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad you brought that up because I got that one figured out too. I don't know what early voting is like in other states but here you can vote anywhere in the county when voting early. This year I'm doing something a little different, I'm going to find the whitest neighborhood in my county and vote there.

Sorted.
So EARLY VOTING in person is cool in Texas; it's only mail-in voting that is severely restricted - over 65, disabled, etc ... and only one drop-off location per county, regardless of size / density? Do you see the whole 'mail-in' issue as being of significance, or do you think everyone who's worried will just switch to early voting instead?
Old Oct 13th 2020, 3:22 am
WTF?

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
Thanks for that! Now, is there any clear mapping from 'TV Network' or 'Newspaper' to the various polling companies? That is, when CNN and Fox quote a polling number, do they typically always use the same firm?
CNN and Fox often do their own polling but I'm sure they also use Rasmussen, Pew, Gallup etc. FWIW the Fox News Poll tends to run with the pack and they do not specifically poll their viewers.

It is good form to name the poll you're quoting and any decent reporter will do so. When you hear generalities then it's most likely an average of the historically accurate firms. Lazy but safe.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...#United_States
Old Oct 13th 2020, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

State dependent as a good amount of stuff is in the US.

This article from 2016 touches on it.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/exkp...e-election-day

Some states count the ballots, others the ballots can be challenged, some don't.

Best to check the laws of the state in which you vote....
Old Oct 13th 2020, 3:54 am
WTF?

So EARLY VOTING in person is cool in Texas; it's only mail-in voting that is severely restricted - over 65, disabled, etc ... and only one drop-off location per county, regardless of size / density? Do you see the whole 'mail-in' issue as being of significance, or do you think everyone who's worried will just switch to early voting instead?
Early voting in Texas is very cool and tons of folks always have voted early. It's kind of a thing.

When you vote early you can vote anywhere you want within your county. I usually vote early at the local library or some other municipal building. On election day you have to vote at your assigned precinct because by then they have already shut down all of the ancillary locations. IIRC they shut down early voting days ahead of the election otherwise they'd be counting votes until perdition. It's all very brisk and organized. Texas is actually an extremely well run state in many ways.

Abbott has been in the national news for general asstwattery over allowing only one drop box per county. Which means all rural counties would be easily accommodated and it would be a shit show in Dallas or Harris county. Obvious suppression is obvious. I think he's winning but I haven't checked today.

For myself, I believe Trump when he says he's going to delegitimize mail-in ballots. He's telegraphed it so many times. I have never once considered mailing my ballot.
Old Oct 13th 2020, 4:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Early voting in Texas is very cool and tons of folks always have voted early. It's kind of a thing.

When you vote early you can vote anywhere you want within your county. I usually vote early at the local library or some other municipal building. On election day you have to vote at your assigned precinct because by then they have already shut down all of the ancillary locations. IIRC they shut down early voting days ahead of the election otherwise they'd be counting votes until perdition. It's all very brisk and organized. Texas is actually an extremely well run state in many ways.

Abbott has been in the national news for general asstwattery over allowing only one drop box per county. Which means all rural counties would be easily accommodated and it would be a shit show in Dallas or Harris county. Obvious suppression is obvious. I think he's winning but I haven't checked today.

For myself, I believe Trump when he says he's going to delegitimize mail-in ballots. He's telegraphed it so many times. I have never once considered mailing my ballot.
So overall, assuming Abbot prevails in making it harder and/or Trump later prevails in de-legitimatizing, do you think it's a significant deal, or do you think the availability of early voting will allay most people's fear of going to a ballot station? If you have a whole month to do it in, I presume you can pick your place and go do it without too much concern of overcrowding ... no worse than going to the grocery store ...
Old Oct 13th 2020, 4:33 am
WTF?

So overall, assuming Abbot prevails in making it harder and/or Trump later prevails in de-legitimatizing, do you think it's a significant deal, or do you think the availability of early voting will allay most people's fear of going to a ballot station? If you have a whole month to do it in, I presume you can pick your place and go do it without too much concern of overcrowding ... no worse than going to the grocery store ...
There is supposed to be record voter turnout in Texas which could mean long lines even with early voting. I'm thinking I won't go the first week but after that I'll start trying. If the lines are too long and I don't feel like dealing with it, I can drive to another place or try another day. If it happens too many times, I'll have to bite the bullet. Needs must. I don't mind waiting outside with people but I don't want to be crammed into a building. I believe it will all work out, they'll enforce masks and distancing.

I can't speak for what method others may use based on their fear of covid or anything else. I can bear witness to the fact that everybody here is running around doing all their other stuff and going anywhere they want --- why would voting be any different? Masks are required in all public and private buildings. The covid numbers aren't perfect but it's so much better than July. I don't think that many people are isolating anymore tbh.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.