Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

President Biden

President Biden

Old Dec 5th 2021, 1:16 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Biden

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
I don’t watch or read Fox News, or look at YouTube vids. 2 words may be an exaggeration…but Biden only takes pre approved questions and answers from the press. Do you think he is a match for a verbal spar with Putin?
I have no idea, but I'm not going to claim he is or isn't without watching and listening to him.

But looking at his persoal social media over the last few years, either he or those running it have made him look a lot better than the previous President (before and during) by a wide margin.
Old Dec 5th 2021, 1:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
I have no idea, but I'm not going to claim he is or isn't without watching and listening to him.

But looking at his persoal social media over the last few years, either he or those running it have made him look a lot better than the previous President (before and during) by a wide margin.
Don’t get me wrong…almost anyone his age, would find it extremely tough doing his job. That’s why IMO a 65 age limit should be imposed for those running for OPUS. Anyway…to get back to Biden vs Putin, IMO he is no match.
Old Dec 5th 2021, 2:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11 View Post
If a person has left another country due to persecution or oppression and reached Mexico but they want to continue on to the US, are they truly "asylum seekers" or simply someone who desires to live and work in the US? I think this is a very important distinction and one that is glossed over too frequently. After all, about half of those arrested on the southern border of the US are not from Mexico. I'll ignore the idea that Mexico is a fairly stable and fairly wealthy country (Mexico ranks exactly average on the OECD Better Life index) and Mexicans claiming "asylum" or "refugee status" from Mexico is potentially specious as well.

For example: I read an article recently in the Times with an interview from a man originally from Haiti. He had spent several years in South America and Mexico, was arrested in Texas and deported back to Haiti after coming across the border illegally. He complained that this was "unfair" and "inhumane" as he saw himself as a refugee. To me, if you're originally from Haiti but have been out of that country for years I think it's pretty hard to argue that you're a Haitian refugee. To me, this man simply preferred to live in the US. That's not a very compelling argument for asylum, again in my opinion. This is not an uncommon situation.

Again, I'm not arguing for or against immigration in general, I'm trying to draw a distinction between "refugees" or "asylum seekers" and those who simply desire to live in the US.
It's a fair point. But it's also a fair point that many from Central America are legitimately escaping persecution, especially in the "iron triangle" countries - Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador. Trump bludgeoned these countries - under threat of losing any US aid - into signing "safe third country" agreements so that, for example, someone from Honduras passing through Guatemala could be deported to Guatemala. Iirc, Mexico told Trump to get lost and didn't sign such an agreement. And although Mexico is a much more wealthy country than the other three, it's riddled with narco violence in places, a trade that ironically exists to feed the insatiable appetite for illicit drugs in the US. So I don't see how any of these countries can meaningfully be considered "safe third countries", and it's to Biden's credit that he ended the three agreements soon after taking office.
Old Dec 5th 2021, 12:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl View Post
...Biden only takes pre approved questions and answers from the press.
I suspect Putin has questioners of non approved questions eliminated.
Do you think he is a match for a verbal spar with Putin?
Putin probably comes out on top bareback riding too.
Old Dec 5th 2021, 1:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I suspect Putin has questioners of non approved questions eliminated.

Putin probably comes out on top bareback riding too.

Old Dec 5th 2021, 2:38 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
It's a fair point. But it's also a fair point that many from Central America are legitimately escaping persecution, especially in the "iron triangle" countries - Guatemala, Honduras and El Salvador. Trump bludgeoned these countries - under threat of losing any US aid - into signing "safe third country" agreements so that, for example, someone from Honduras passing through Guatemala could be deported to Guatemala. Iirc, Mexico told Trump to get lost and didn't sign such an agreement. And although Mexico is a much more wealthy country than the other three, it's riddled with narco violence in places, a trade that ironically exists to feed the insatiable appetite for illicit drugs in the US. So I don't see how any of these countries can meaningfully be considered "safe third countries", and it's to Biden's credit that he ended the three agreements soon after taking office.
It would certainly speed up the processing if those from non safe Countries just needed to show that.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe View Post
I would be interested your point if view .You make a good case that Mexico these days a bit challenging to consider a "safe" third country. However when I lived in the Midwest for a few years i saw roofing contractors, both white and hispanic-owned but legal following the rules, often driven out of business or losing business undocumented migrants. I was somewhat involved in the local hispanic community, and many in low paying jobs complained the more migrants the more it held their wages down. (The migrants were in general harder workers, it must be said.And often went above and beyond what a local would do.)Now that is just an anecdotal experience but repeated to some extent surely in many parts of the country.. Hence my question , should not the direct and indirect costs of immigration policy be considered ? Who should pay for increased costs such as schools ? (I don't pretend to know the answer).
Old Dec 6th 2021, 8:45 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by morpeth View Post
Who should pay for increased costs such as schools ?
We as a society should...

An educated youth makes better choices than the uneducated.
Educated adults are more likely to get jobs.
Well-educated people are more likely to go to college and university to become doctors.

Education gives anyone a future.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

We as a society should...

An educated youth makes better choices than the uneducated.
Educated adults are more likely to get jobs.
Well-educated people are more likely to go to college and university to become doctors.

Education gives anyone a future.
No disagreement- but when a community has an influx of migrants the costs of education can go up quite a lot, and over crowded schools are not the best for education. That was my question, i have no disagreement especially in the 21st century that society benefits from better education.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 1:07 pm
Account Closed

No disagreement- but when a community has an influx of migrants the costs of education can go up quite a lot, and over crowded schools are not the best for education. That was my question, i have no disagreement especially in the 21st century that society benefits from better education.
If those migrants don't get a good education, crime is likely to go up. Though I guess more people and companies make profits out of the criminal justice system than from education, especially in the US.

I'm not sure about the US, but the UK government has money for things it wants to support. They choose not to properly fund things like the NHS, education and others, because those are things their donors can make a profit from.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 1:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

If those migrants don't get a good education, crime is likely to go up.
I thought that happened when women played Doctor Who.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 3:07 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by BristolUK View Post
I thought that happened when women played Doctor Who.
I think some Tories would like to go back to when women couldn't even play women on stage... Those parts had to played by teenage boys...
Old Dec 6th 2021, 4:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If those migrants don't get a good education, crime is likely to go up. Though I guess more people and companies make profits out of the criminal justice system than from education, especially in the US.

I'm not sure about the US, but the UK government has money for things it wants to support. They choose not to properly fund things like the NHS, education and others, because those are things their donors can make a profit from.
I guess I am not phrasing my question properly. If a school system gets overcrowded with negative effects on the education, and the community has to pay more overall education costs- how is that a benefit ? And if competition for low skilled jobs has a tendency to keep wages lower, how is that a benefit ?

It is not as though American education standards ae commonly seems as improving in recent decades, nor that local authorities have surpluses.

I find it hard to accept the positions of either side, one that it is a benefit to absorb more and more unskilled people into a 21st century economy, the other that distress of so many leaving terrible conditions should be ignored.

Old Dec 6th 2021, 4:34 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I am not phrasing my question properly. If a school system gets overcrowded with negative effects on the education, and the community has to pay more overall education costs- how is that a benefit ? And if competition for low skilled jobs has a tendency to keep wages lower, how is that a benefit ?

It is not as though American education standards ae commonly seems as improving in recent decades, nor that local authorities have surpluses.

I find it hard to accept the positions of either side, one that it is a benefit to absorb more and more unskilled people into a 21st century economy, the other that distress of so many leaving terrible conditions should be ignored.

Wages aren't low nor people "unskilled" because of some automatic process of supply within the US, though. A developed capitalist economy has many, many ways of controlling and manipulating the alleged "free" market. The US pool of low-cost labour extends to other countries, irrespective of who is living in whose countries. And if people are not being prepared by the education system for higher-paid work, that is also a choice being made. Schools being funded by property taxes, for example, has an immediate knock on effect in low-income areas. Nor is it an accident that there are millions of undocumented workers still working away in this country.

Really, there aren't "sides" in this discussion. It's a complicated web, and I would say that step one is absolutely to fairly invest and apply the world's riches to help the struggling countries develop well.
Old Dec 6th 2021, 4:57 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

US slavery, 2021: Human-trafficking ring trapped hundreds of migrant workers picking onions for 20-cents per bucket in south Georgia as part of years-long $200M operation that saw two die and another repeatedly raped
Slavery ring raked in more than $200 million in southern Georgia
Two workers died in brutal conditions that saw them picking onions at gunpoint
Migrants were kept in squalid camps surrounded by electric fencing
Conspirators accused of raping, kidnapping, threatening to kill the migrants
Twenty-four members of the crime ring are now facing mail fraud, forced labor, money laundering and witness tampering charges
Federal officials have been investigating the ring for three years in a probe dubbed 'Operation Blooming Onion'

Apologies for the source: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...h-Georgia.html

This is a new story about the H2a Temp Work scheme for Agricultural Workers, I am sure it is not alone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.