Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

President Biden

President Biden

Old Jan 23rd 2021, 11:23 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: President Biden

Originally Posted by stevenglish1 View Post
Get over yourself, I'm not moving goalposts at all, I'm merely illustrating that many attitudes that were commonplace 75 years ago are n not so now, and where they do exist they are quite rightly vilified. They never used to be, certainly not by the majority. We get it, Churchill was a bit of a bastard, but it was 75 years ago, learn from it and move on.
...and I am saying that those attitudes are far from rare, under the surface they still burn, and that these recent years in the USA, and to an extent other places has, displayed how fragile our norms of today are. Turning blind eyes, promoting when we benefit from actions over others suffering, does not help to keep them buried it helps foster their return.
(but yes, you moved your goalposts)

Last edited by kimilseung; Jan 23rd 2021 at 11:37 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 11:35 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
...and I am saying that those attitudes are far from rare, under the surface they still burn, and that these recent years in the USA, and to an extent other places has, displayed how fragile our norms of today are. Turning blind eyes, promoting when we benefit from actions over others suffering, does not help to keep them buried it helps foster their return.
Neither does it help to accuse people of fostering views that they don't.
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 11:38 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Neither does it help to accuse people of fostering views that they don't.
Looks a bit defensive, what could you mean by that?
This is so far from Churchill and him being the bulwark of freedom.
Old Jan 23rd 2021, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat098 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kimilseung View Post
Looks a bit defensive, what could you mean by that?
Not defensive, just stating a fact, you draw conclusions on someone based on one aspect of their opinion, and it's beyond you to entertain the possibility that you're wrong. Of course the fascists, white supremacists still exist, no-one is denying that but many have had that badge pinned on them unfairly because they don't subscribe fully to the views of you and your ilk. It's a very good way to make someone seem unreasonable and easier to tear down.
Old Jan 24th 2021, 12:02 am
He/him

Not defensive, just stating a fact, you draw conclusions on someone based on one aspect of their opinion, and it's beyond you to entertain the possibility that you're wrong. Of course the fascists, white supremacists still exist, no-one is denying that but many have had that badge pinned on them unfairly because they don't subscribe fully to the views of you and your ilk. It's a very good way to make someone seem unreasonable and easier to tear down.
You are still a bit hurt-feeling from a post a couple of months back then? thats what this is all about? Sorry I made a reasonable inference, although not a sure fire fact. Happy to take you at your word, but you do have a bit of a history of ambiguous odd posts like you are inviting assumptions from them, then jump back all hurt and insulted..
Old Jan 24th 2021, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44 View Post
Why in hell would you include Fauci in that group? He is not a politician, nor holding elected office. He is a world renowned virologist who is extremely intelligent, knowledgeable and well respected around the world. He is fine just where he is, doing what needs to be done.
Because he is a public servant and Director of NIAID.

I agree he is doing a great job. But should anyone at that age be the key leader for such an important role? Or should he be introducing a team of equally impressive scientists that he has mentored such that public faith is still maintained in the inevitable event of Fauci’s retirement? For example, according to Wiki, Faucis deputy at NIAID is Hugh Auchincloss. Does he have Faucis public profile or popularity?

I am not pointing fingers at the individuals and the quality of the jobs they are doing. I am concerned about a lack of acknowledgment that none of us live forever. Having an equally qualified and publicly known team/deputy/alternative around them, ensures continuity.

by presenting them as uniquely qualified to do the job, there is a great risk that there is a lack of public confidence when you get to the day they are unable to do the job. The unspoken strategy of having a younger and vibrant, popular deputy works for Biden, why not Fauci too?
Old Jan 24th 2021, 10:25 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom View Post
For example, according to Wiki, Faucis deputy at NIAID is Hugh Auchincloss. Does he have Faucis public profile or popularity?
Switching to an expensive single malt director now instead of the humble blended Fauci would seem to indicate a lack of trust.
Old Jan 24th 2021, 7:30 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Senator Johnson seems to be trying to strong-arm the Biden administration.

Also posting this to the Trump thread..
Old Jan 24th 2021, 9:00 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Senator Johnson seems to be trying to strong-arm the Biden administration.

https://twitter.com/SenRonJohnson/st...90865935884293

Also posting this to the Trump thread..
If he thinks the process is vindictiveness what the hell does he consider rushing through all those executions to be?
Not to mention the firings after falling out.
Old Jan 24th 2021, 9:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Protesters clash with authorities outside Portland ICE facility

https://nypost.com/2021/01/24/protesters-clash-with-authorities-outside-portland-ice-facility/
“If you trespass on federal property with a weapon . . . you will be arrested,” a recording played to the crowd additionally warned.

When the order to clear out went unheeded, tear gas was launched into the mass of protesters.
I assumed Biden would not want to be known for tear gassing MPP's.
Old Jan 24th 2021, 9:21 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler View Post

https://nypost.com/2021/01/24/protesters-clash-with-authorities-outside-portland-ice-facility/

OK, thanks, your assumption is duly noted.
Old Jan 24th 2021, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

https://nypost.com/2021/01/24/protes...-ice-facility/

I'll respond to this in two parts, first in the way you wrote it, then in the context I presume you meant it in.

1. Did Biden actually personally tear gas anyone? No... I presuming the on-scene commander actually ordered it as well, and that Biden probably wasn't even consulted.

2. I assumed prior to it happening that no U.S. President would want to to be known as someone who tear gassed people doing nothing, just so they could be photographed outside a church... Now we've both made incorrect assumptions.

But you're not going to let a few facts dissuade you from trying to pin every negative on Biden, are you?

Last edited by DaveLovesDee; Jan 24th 2021 at 10:06 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2021, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

If they really did ignore the warning, and they were armed, then F**K them and round them up.

I said it last year, and it's so much more relevant today after the Capitol events. Smashing up property, rioting and looting, should be perfectly valid justification for being tear-gassed and locked up.

Last edited by Steerpike; Jan 24th 2021 at 11:29 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2021, 11:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yellowroom View Post
Because he is a public servant and Director of NIAID.

I agree he is doing a great job. But should anyone at that age be the key leader for such an important role? Or should he be introducing a team of equally impressive scientists that he has mentored such that public faith is still maintained in the inevitable event of Fauci’s retirement? For example, according to Wiki, Faucis deputy at NIAID is Hugh Auchincloss. Does he have Faucis public profile or popularity?

I am not pointing fingers at the individuals and the quality of the jobs they are doing. I am concerned about a lack of acknowledgment that none of us live forever. Having an equally qualified and publicly known team/deputy/alternative around them, ensures continuity.

by presenting them as uniquely qualified to do the job, there is a great risk that there is a lack of public confidence when you get to the day they are unable to do the job. The unspoken strategy of having a younger and vibrant, popular deputy works for Biden, why not Fauci too?
Just to make a point...remind me what public profile and popularity Fauci had before he became the face of the battle against Covid. I, like pretty much almost everyone with no direct connection to knowledge about Fauci, had never heard of him. I had no idea who he was before this. What I kinow now is that he is the one I want in charge. As for Dr. Auchincloss, no he is not on your tv screen every day. So what? You should have looked him up.

https://www.niaid.nih.gov/about/hugh-auchincloss-md
Old Jan 24th 2021, 11:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

I guess I've lived in this country longer than most on here.... Fauci is an absolute public health hero for his recognition of and work on the AIDS/HIV crisis from the early '80's onwards. He received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from George W Bush in 2008, having been described as an American hero by Bush Senior during a presidential debate in 1988. This country owes a great debt to him.

https://drt.cmc.edu/2020/03/23/georg...fauci-in-1988/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.