Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum...Part II

Post EU Referendum...Part II

Old Jul 17th 2020, 2:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Because Brexiteers, concerned about the economy and people, voted to leave FOUR years ago. If we had already left instead of delay after delay from Tory rebels and those like Starmer, you would not be asking this question now.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 2:49 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by la mancha View Post
Because Brexiteers, concerned about the economy and people, voted to leave FOUR years ago. If we had already left instead of delay after delay from Tory rebels and those like Starmer, you would not be asking this question now.
yes, suicide is far quicker when nobody stops you.......

OK, maybe not suicide..... just self-harm
Old Jul 17th 2020, 2:55 pm
FreeThinker

jimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond reputejimenato has a reputation beyond repute

Always somebody else's fault isn't it? People should really take responsibility for their own choices.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 3:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus, don't you lot ever stop? What suicide/self-harm. Tell me, what suicide/self-harm? As for somebody else's fault, yes, in this case that is correct. If Tory rebels and those like Starmer had not done everything they could to try to stop Brexit you would not be asking for an extension now. Where we are is the fault of these people.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 3:02 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

They were obviously a bit rusty on the mechanics of voting, not having had the chance to do much of it during the years the leading Tories were fighting their internal battle and Parliament was being kept at arms length from the whole Brexit business.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 3:05 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus, don't you lot ever stop? What suicide/self-harm. Tell me, what suicide/self-harm? As for somebody else's fault, yes, in this case that is correct. If Tory rebels and those like Starmer had not done everything they could to try to stop Brexit you would not be asking for an extension now. Where we are is the fault of these people.
Tory rebels.

Like Rees-Mogg. And Mark François. And Boris Johnson.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Eric, there were many votes in Parliament. And are you telling me Starmer and co. are a bit rusty on the mechanics of voting? I don't understand your meaning here.

By the way, how is the weather over there? Business problems apart, is it a bit nicer without tourists? Must be the first summer like this for you.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Tory rebels.

Like Rees-Mogg. And Mark François. And Boris Johnson.
Did they try to stop Brexit?
Old Jul 17th 2020, 3:11 pm
Who - me?

Did they try to stop Brexit?
They and others rejected what Theresa May finally presented to Parliament to vote on.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

They and others rejected what Theresa May finally presented to Parliament to vote on.
I thought BoJo (reluctantly) voted for May in the end. I forget now. But they did not vote to stop Brexit. The referendum said leave. Starmer and co.. always voted to remain. Old news now.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 3:24 pm
Who - me?

By the way, how is the weather over there? Business problems apart, is it a bit nicer without tourists? Must be the first summer like this for you.
Scorching. We're nudging 40 today.

Yeah, it's a lot quieter although I'm not in a tourist area as such. Not normally inundated with foreign holidaymaker types - more the odd strayer from the beaten track, day trippers from northern Spain and returners from wherever in the world they've dispersed during the traditional holiday month of August (so not looking forward to next month).

Thanks for the interest. Hope you're managing OK - must be very difficult living in the big metropoli at a time like this.

Old Jul 17th 2020, 3:30 pm
Who - me?

I thought BoJo (reluctantly) voted for May in the end. I forget now. But they did not vote to stop Brexit. The referendum said leave. Starmer and co.. always voted to remain. Old news now.
Parliament didn't vote to stop Brexit, either. Nor did it want to in any majority.

As you say, history now, though. No point continually rehashing it but nor should we ignore the failures and missed opportunities for something different, and to whom they should be ascribed.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 3:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scorching. We're nudging 40 today.

Yeah, it's a lot quieter although I'm not in a tourist area as such. Not normally inundated with foreign holidaymaker types - more the odd strayer from the beaten track, day trippers from northern Spain and returners from wherever in the world they've dispersed during the traditional holiday month of August (so not looking forward to next month).

Thanks for the interest. Hope you're managing OK - must be very difficult living in the big metropoli at a time like this.
Tell you the truth, I don't feel any different. Okay, Lockdown, facemasks - yes or no etc. etc. was a nuisance but hairdressers are now open so I do not look like the wild man from Borneo any more. (Ooop! Sorry wokes.) Cafes are open. During lockdown (I hate that American word) I went to my usual café which is frequented by Eastern Europeans in Harrow centre that never closed with lockdown. I bought a coffee and a kit kat or whatever when I was there and as long as I stood, no one cared. They couldn't serve food though. Social distancing? Not easy in a City. London Centre is dead. No one wants to go back to work with this furlough scheme. Shops are open . When they opened up recently shops like Primark had queues going back 100 yards. Now you can walk straight in. Same with M & S. etc. It isn't normal but it is. I can't explain it. I think unemployment will rocket by the end of the year but that will be the same everywhere. I don't know. Who knows tomorrow?

Buses are empty. So I wear a mask on a bus. The Tube is empty. Yet Brighton will be packed this weekend with the nice weather. Nights are especially quiet. Round my way it is a dead giveaway for the drug dealers as they are the only ones out.

I have a small one man internet business I am trying to get off the ground. It screeched to a stop with lockdown but I am optimistic for the future. Brexiteers are always optimistic! (Sorry, couldn't help that!!!) I wanted to soon go back to Spain but over the past couple of years I have changed my mind. The Spanish people are okay but give them a non-title and they change, especially in local government. In fact, I now hate the b*******. I have been looking at Portugal, funny enough. I have never been there but I have been looking on the internet off and on, nothing serious as I am not ready to move yet, but it is something I am keeping in mind. It really does look a nice country, a bit like Spain used to be. I am getting on a bit now but my enthusiasm for anything new has not wavered in the past x years. As long as my skinny legs will carry me I will forge ahead. Or at least try to!
Old Jul 17th 2020, 4:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Jesus, don't you lot ever stop? What suicide/self-harm. Tell me, what suicide/self-harm?
Well the most immediate thing that springs to mind is PPE - masks and gowns - at the beginning of covid-19 days. Do you remember that?

The UK were invited to be included in the EU order of them but declined. Had there not been a Brexit vote the UK would have been part of that supply automatically.

Do you remember there was a shortage? And then when the UK tried to get some independently there was a supply from Turkey that was hugely delayed and then turned out to be defective.

Still, the ill health and deaths of the health workers due to lack of PPE doesn't count as suicide or self harm does it. So that's okay.
Old Jul 17th 2020, 5:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

I admit I have a real hard time that any informed voter objectively would consider that Brexit better for the economy- and even with government's own forecast of the disruption and cost of Brexit, I don't see Brexit leaders standing up and asking to extend the transition. It was just emotion or the leaders seeking power for themselves, or some weird phobia about the European Court.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.