Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum...Part II

Post EU Referendum...Part II

Old Jun 13th 2020, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by Steerpike View Post
If you are using a real computer then you just have to hover over the link with a mouse and it reveals the target. I guess there's no such equivalent action on a phone ...
Or on an iMac either Just tried your suggestion and it didn't work. Could be my setting as I am sure someone will say it works on my iMac. Guess what I don't care unless of course the poster is deliberately posting a link that has a virus attached.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 8:53 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Or on an iMac either Just tried your suggestion and it didn't work. Could be my setting as I am sure someone will say it works on my iMac. Guess what I don't care unless of course the poster is deliberately posting a link that has a virus attached.
It's an option in Settings....
Old Jun 13th 2020, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
It's an option in Settings....
You posted this to piss me off didn't you. So with nothing else better to do and my computer is on and using Safari and clicking on Safari it shows me settings for this website. Now looking at my tool bar on the bottom there is something that looks like a cog wheel called System Preferences and if I open that I can see the mouse icon. If I also type in settings in the search box of System Preference it gives me 13 results. If I click on the mouse icon I get the point and click and more gestures and I can also see set up Bluetooth mouse which is also an Apple bluetooth mouse. If I click on that I get the whirling around icon which means its searching for something and my mouse does show up and shows it's connected.

Those apparently simple 5 words you posted turn out to be not as simple as you think they are. Granted I do support a team that doesn't exist and you can either elaborate further on it's an option in settings or reread my Guess what I don't care

Bloody Gooner living in Wales I should have known better.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 9:27 pm
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

Or on an iMac either Just tried your suggestion and it didn't work. Could be my setting as I am sure someone will say it works on my iMac.
Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

Guess what I don't care unless of course the poster is deliberately posting a link that has a virus attached.
Who? - ME??
Old Jun 13th 2020, 9:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Red Eric View Post
Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

Who? - ME??
Yeah but due to a power cut we are currently having that doesn't seem to work either.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

You posted this to piss me off didn't you. So with nothing else better to do and my computer is on and using Safari and clicking on Safari it shows me settings for this website. Now looking at my tool bar on the bottom there is something that looks like a cog wheel called System Preferences and if I open that I can see the mouse icon. If I also type in settings in the search box of System Preference it gives me 13 results. If I click on the mouse icon I get the point and click and more gestures and I can also see set up Bluetooth mouse which is also an Apple bluetooth mouse. If I click on that I get the whirling around icon which means its searching for something and my mouse does show up and shows it's connected.

Those apparently simple 5 words you posted turn out to be not as simple as you think they are. Granted I do support a team that doesn't exist and you can either elaborate further on it's an option in settings or reread my Guess what I don't care

I just fired up my Macbook Air (my daily driver is a windows 10 laptop) and in both Safari, and Chrome, when I move the mouse pointer over the link, the link 'target' is revealed at the bottom of the screen. Hold on and I'll update this reply on my Mac with a screenshot or two to show what I'm talking about. As far as I know, both my Chrome and Safari installs are 'out of the box'. Screenshots are 10x more painful (to me) on the Mac so it will take a few seconds ...

Here you go:

Are you saying you don't see this at all, and can you try in Chrome as an alternative? I F**ing hate the Mac when it comes to screenshots, annotations, etc ... Command-Control-Shift-3 - super easy to remember . Then, I don't have a 'simple and quick' photo editor on my Mac so I can't quickly crop and add notes. So I emailed it to myself so I could open it on my Windows laptop, then do super-easy, super-quick edits in 'IrfanView' .

Anyway - this isn't worth the effort just for the one item above, but - I personally feel it is VERY useful to be able to see where a link is pointing, from a 'security' perspective.

Edit To Add - apparently this may be driven by the setting on the 'View' menu of the browser; in Safari - click 'View' menu, choose 'show status bar'. For Google Chrome, I don't see a corresponding setting so maybe it's on by default there.

Edit To Add - my MacBook Air is Catalina, 10.15.4. Safari is 13.1. Chrome is 81.0.xxxxx . I did see some chatter about this being an 'always on' feature in Chrome, but that bugs in Chrome sometime cause it to fail.

Edit To Add - fired up my Macbook Pro (El Capitan, 10. 11.6) - worked in Chrome; had to turn on the "View" option in Safari to get it to work. So it looks like you just have to go to "View" menu in Safari and turn on status bar, or, use Chrome

Last edited by Steerpike; Jun 13th 2020 at 10:04 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 10:09 pm
So long...

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Try this;
Here are instructions on how to toggle the setting using the Menu Bar:
  1. Go into the View menu.
  2. Select "Show status bar".
  3. Now, there will be a URL that pops up when you hover over a link, and also tells you if it's going to be in a new tab:

You can also press ⌘ + / to toggle this setting at ease.
It worked on Safari up to last year. Not used Safari this year yet...

The URL of links your hover over is shown on the gray status bar at the bottom of the page. The status bar is not always present in a new window, but you can turn it on from View > Show Status Bar or with the ⌘/ shortcut.

Some pages can hide the status bar and it does not restore if you go to a new window. However File->New Window should always show this.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 10:14 pm
So long...

I just fired up my Macbook Air (my daily driver is a windows 10 laptop) and in both Safari, and Chrome, when I move the mouse pointer over the link, the link 'target' is revealed at the bottom of the screen. Hold on and I'll update this reply on my Mac with a screenshot or two to show what I'm talking about. As far as I know, both my Chrome and Safari installs are 'out of the box'. Screenshots are 10x more painful (to me) on the Mac so it will take a few seconds ...

Here you go:

Are you saying you don't see this at all, and can you try in Chrome as an alternative? I F**ing hate the Mac when it comes to screenshots, annotations, etc ... Command-Control-Shift-3 - super easy to remember . Then, I don't have a 'simple and quick' photo editor on my Mac so I can't quickly crop and add notes. So I emailed it to myself so I could open it on my Windows laptop, then do super-easy, super-quick edits in 'IrfanView' .

Anyway - this isn't worth the effort just for the one item above, but - I personally feel it is VERY useful to be able to see where a link is pointing, from a 'security' perspective.

Edit To Add - apparently this may be driven by the setting on the 'View' menu of the browser; in Safari - click 'View' menu, choose 'show status bar'. For Google Chrome, I don't see a corresponding setting so maybe it's on by default there.

Edit To Add - my MacBook Air is Catalina, 10.15.4. Safari is 13.1. Chrome is 81.0.xxxxx . I did see some chatter about this being an 'always on' feature in Chrome, but that bugs in Chrome sometime cause it to fail.

Edit To Add - fired up my Macbook Pro (El Capitan, 10. 11.6) - worked in Chrome; had to turn on the "View" option in Safari to get it to work. So it looks like you just have to go to "View" menu in Safari and turn on status bar, or, use Chrome
Thanks...
Old Jun 13th 2020, 10:20 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Particularly useful in an email when you hover over a link which reveals itself as we'reouttogetyou.com
Old Jun 13th 2020, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Here you go:

No it doesn't. I appreciate your help and I aint changing to Chrome. I completely agree about the security perspective. I am currently on Catalina Version 10.15.5 same Safari version as yours. I will also reply to Daves latest post for assistance. Once again thanks for all of your help.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 10:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee View Post
Try this;

It worked on Safari up to last year. Not used Safari this year yet...
I tried to no avail. I shall not berate you any further. Yes I know I should have got my 2 year old to do it but I don't have any of them lying around. I consulted the cat but in a typical cat matter ignored me. So again thank you for taking the time to assist but apart from the security aspect I will leave it alone. Obviously If I am able to use the quote function button on BE correctly it shows that I am not completely thick And yes I know how to hover over a link.
Old Jun 13th 2020, 10:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

No it doesn't. I appreciate your help and I aint changing to Chrome. I completely agree about the security perspective. I am currently on Catalina Version 10.15.5 same Safari version as yours. I will also reply to Daves latest post for assistance. Once again thanks for all of your help.
Just to be clear, this is what the setting looks like. On mine, since the option is already on, it shows 'hide status bar' but if it weren't on, it would show 'Show Status Bar'. Seems very odd this is not working for you!

Old Jun 14th 2020, 7:40 am
Who - me?

Red Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond reputeRed Eric has a reputation beyond repute

...Seems very odd this is not working for you!
It's working OK at this end.

Maybe it's a PICNIC problem?
Old Jun 14th 2020, 7:51 am
Reasonable Bitch

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Somebody should develop an app or something that warns that a link points to the daily express. Or just disables it.
​​​​
Old Jun 14th 2020, 10:09 am
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas View Post
Somebody should develop an app or something that warns that a link points to the daily express. Or just disables it.
​​​​
Could it disable the Daily Mail too? Not just the links though......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.