Go Back  British Expats > General > Take it Outside!
Reload this Page >

Post EU Referendum...Part II

Post EU Referendum...Part II

Old Feb 14th 2020, 6:25 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Post EU Referendum...Part II

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
My father was born in 1921 - pre-independence - so he held a British passport.

One time (pre-EU) we were coming back into the UK from a trip abroad, and the non-UK line was really long and slow.
There I was, waiting away, when suddenly a guy in plain clothes comes up, calls my name, pulls me out of the queue and tells me to follow him.
Things being as they were with the troubles, even a saint would be sweating - and I was certainly worried...... until I caught sight of my Da fair wetting himself by the immigration booth. He'd told one of the immigration guys that we had someone waiting for us outside - and could he please get me through passport control quicker..... knowing only too well what the result would be!

Choice words were spoken once I'd got through!!

Your father had a, er, highly-developed sense of humour.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 6:31 pm
Hail Satan!

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
The kind were we get to tell other countries how to run their borders and let people with a British passport through a special line just for them?
Well, they certainly are a bit special.

Originally Posted by macliam View Post
My father was born in 1921 - pre-independence - so he held a British passport.

One time (pre-EU) we were coming back into the UK from a trip abroad, and the non-UK line was really long and slow.
There I was, waiting away, when suddenly a guy in plain clothes comes up, calls my name, pulls me out of the queue and tells me to follow him.
Things being as they were with the troubles, even a saint would be sweating - and I was certainly worried...... until I caught sight of my Da fair wetting himself by the immigration booth. He'd told one of the immigration guys that we had someone waiting for us outside - and could he please get me through passport control quicker..... knowing only too well what the result would be!

Choice words were spoken once I'd got through!!
Oh wow, that was an interesting way of getting through the line.
Old Feb 14th 2020, 7:14 pm
Resident Cynic

macliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond reputemacliam has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter View Post
Your father had a, er, highly-developed sense of humour.
It's a trait - some events were like a TV show!

When I was a kid we used to stay with my grandfather, who lived near the Ardnacrusha dam on the Shannon.
Now, you have to realise my da was "black Irish" - dark hair and complexion, but blue eyes (I have an old photo of my Aunt and she looks Spanish).
So, my uncle Billy came to visit - and while joshing around he wrapped my ma's "fashionable" white shawl around my father's head and, quick as a flash, added a pair of sunglasses - and they rolled out the door to one of the pubs on the Clare side.

On their return, we learned that he'd introduced my Da to the locals as "One of Nasser's men over to look at the dam" (The Aswan construction was big news).
My father couldn't speak, just nod, as the customers all came up to smile and shake his hand. Word went around, kids peeped into the door of the bar, time passed.
Billy asked if my da wanted another drink, "Aye, ye heathen - ye'll drink everything and pay for nothing!!" - but my da could say nothing.
Finally he got worried that my Pop would arrive and blow the game - so he rubbed the top of his "turban" with his hand (Pop was bald...) and they said their goodbyes.

One day I'll go back to O'Briensbridge and see if anyone remembers the day Nasser's man came to visit.......
Old Feb 17th 2020, 3:03 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

I hadn't see this from Andrew Fisher at the time. He makes some good points about the transformation of the Labour party and how that made possible the broader - and crucially, younger - membership they now have.

We shall see.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...sformed-labour