British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

jimenato Aug 5th 2016 11:36 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12020530)
Para 1: and the remain camp told us what truths? - I certainly remember the 'Project Fear' telling us all kinds of BS propaganda & lies....... none of which so far have come to pass. - Both sides were wrong in that regard.

Para 2: DC obviously didn't negotiate anywhere near enough because his options were rejected & the majority voted to leave & bearing in mind Europe wanted the UK to stay & that was rejected by the majority obviously proves the problem is Europe's rather than Britain's.

Britain will be in the commanding position because it can no longer be dictated to & can do as it likes without outside interference.

But as Eric pointed out: It's all academic now because the referendum has been held & the majority voted to leave so leave we must.

You said it ... "so far"...

mfesharne Aug 5th 2016 11:43 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12020534)
You said it ... "so far"...

Whilst most of the remainers seem to have or at least, think they have crystal balls that can see into the future, I make no claim to.

As I've said several times, no matter what side of the fence we are the majority voted to leave so leave we must for good or bad but for me personally, I believe the freedom will be worth the sacrifice.

Bipat Aug 5th 2016 11:45 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12020529)
It has nothing to do with them directly but I'm 110% sure that had the UK remained a member of the EU & announced withdrawal there would have been no end of kak flying at the UK from the EU........ but once outside the EU, I'm sure it'll be much easier & would be very surprised if they don't withdraw....... A quick Google will show you it's already been discussed.

I'd expect any and all links to both the EU & Europe to be examined/discussed/debated now that the Brexit vote has been decided.

The UK voted for independence so it's logical to expect anything from elsewhere in the world that affects UK autonomy will be looked at.

I'm not suggesting it'll all be changed but would expect it all to be reconsidered.

There would be a lot of "Kak" flying from the other parts of the world, everytime the UK made negative comments about human rights of other countries, for example China.
The Convention needs reform and updating but this takes time and Theresa May as Home Secretary had suggested leaving. Remember UK was an original signatory.

Why would other links to Europe be affected? Which were you thinking of?

amideislas Aug 5th 2016 11:54 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12020530)
Para 1: and the remain camp told us what truths? - I certainly remember the 'Project Fear' telling us all kinds of BS propaganda & lies....... none of which so far have come to pass. - Both sides were wrong in that regard.

Para 2: DC obviously didn't negotiate anywhere near enough because his options were rejected & the majority voted to leave & bearing in mind Europe wanted the UK to stay & that was rejected by the majority obviously proves the problem is Europe's rather than Britain's.

Britain will be in the commanding position because it can no longer be dictated to & can do as it likes without outside interference.

But as Eric pointed out: It's all academic now because the referendum has been held & the majority voted to leave so leave we must.

At least you're entertaining.

Assanah Aug 5th 2016 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12020537)
Whilst most of the remainers seem to have or at least, think they have crystal balls that can see into the future, I make no claim to.

As I've said several times, no matter what side of the fence we are the majority voted to leave so leave we must for good or bad but for me personally, I believe the freedom will be worth the sacrifice.

Yep, and if the majority of Europeans say that they want the UK to get a bad deal the UK will get a bad deal. I believe that freedom and democracy is worth the British sacrifice. Goodbye and Goodnight Great (or maybe soon Liitle) Britain.

mfesharne Aug 5th 2016 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12020538)
There would be a lot of "Kak" flying from the other parts of the world, everytime the UK made negative comments about human rights of other countries, for example China.
The Convention needs reform and updating but this takes time and Theresa May as Home Secretary had suggested leaving. Remember UK was an original signatory.

Why would other links to Europe be affected? Which were you thinking of?

The UK was indeed an original signatory but that was a loooong time ago & doesn't mean they have to remain........ All it takes is a debate & vote to withdraw & it's done.

I'm sure there are no end of agreements etc that'll be examined but the point is an independent UK will be just that...... independent.

As for things like trade deals - they haven't even been looked at yet so no-one knows what'll happen & time will tell.

The cold hard fact is the majority voted for Brexit & that's what will happen one way or another.

paulry Aug 5th 2016 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12020361)

While the Brexit vote had signalled “regime change”, he said Britain’s economy was in a healthy position.
A range of measures, including further quantitative easing, would help stimulate the economy and encourage lending, he said.
“There will be less unemployment, more activity and a greater prospect of a successful adjustment to the new reality the UK faces.”
It doesn't cheer me up all. By the sounds of things Britain is on the bones of it's arse, there is not fat to live off - that went long ago (while members of the bountiful EU). There's no savings in the bank - the only option is to print more money and get people to borrow even more. The country is already broke and Brexit is not to blame for that. :mad:

la mancha Aug 5th 2016 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12020497)

The question is, why is it that only Brits know these things for certain (despite all evidence to the contrary), and the people who are born and raised in Europe are somehow "blind" to it all? As if they are under some kind of Kremlin mind control or something.

Maybe because they have to live with it.

What evidence to the contrary? Of course the people of Europe are blind to it because they don’t have to bloody well live with it, until they come here looking for work because their own country cannot provide it for them, then they see the low wages and squalid conditions they have to live in, but then it may be luxury for them. Get into the real world.

Spinning again. Don’t you get giddy? No one I speak to here voted out of the EU because of refugees. That was not an issue in the referendum. Control of borders and uncontrolled numbers of EU migration were issues.

You’re talking unsubstantiated rubbish.

mfesharne Aug 5th 2016 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12020600)
It doesn't cheer me up all. By the sounds of things Britain is on the bones of it's arse, there is not fat to live off - that went long ago (while members of the bountiful EU). There's no savings in the bank - the only option is to print more money and get people to borrow even more. The country is already broke and Brexit is not to blame for that. :mad:

The UK is 27th richest nation out of 185 & it would/could save shedloads simply in not paying EU subs & reducing (as opposed to stopping) it's ridiculous foreign aid payments.

So hardly on the bones of it's arse.

https://www.gfmag.com/global-data/ec...-world?page=12

Time will tell how the new post Brexit UK does but my guess is it's long term future will be more successful than if it had remained but even if it doesn't it'll be free to go it's own way & make it's own decisions in a democratic manner & a free democracy has to be a good thing. ;)

paulry Aug 5th 2016 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12020616)
The UK is 27th richest nation out of 185 & it would/could save shedloads simply in not paying EU subs & reducing (as opposed to stopping) it's ridiculous foreign aid payments.

So hardly on the bones of it's arse.

https://www.gfmag.com/global-data/ec...-world?page=12

Time will tell how the new post Brexit UK does but my guess is it's long term future will be more successful than if it had remained but even if it doesn't it'll be free to go it's own way & make it's own decisions in a democratic manner & a free democracy has to be a good thing. ;)

I'm completely for Brexit, but all these doom-mongers looking to blame Brexit for the parlous state of Britain's economy are overlooking the fact that the country maxed out on its credit card before the first Brexit vote was even cast.

mfesharne Aug 5th 2016 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12020619)
I'm completely for Brexit, but all these doom-mongers looking to blame Brexit for the parlous state of Britain's economy are overlooking the fact that the country maxed out on its credit card before the first Brexit vote was even cast.

Absolutely agree with that........ Busstard Brown in particular & the Liebour party in general screwed us no end. :confused:

Fredbargate Aug 5th 2016 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12020600)

When did the UK last manage a full financial year without borrowing money?

When was the last time the UK was completely debt free.

How much has it cost the UK over the years to service it's debt.

All the above long before Brexit.

amideislas Aug 5th 2016 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12020612)
Maybe because they have to live with it.

What evidence to the contrary? Of course the people of Europe are blind to it because they don’t have to bloody well live with it, until they come here looking for work because their own country cannot provide it for them, then they see the low wages and squalid conditions they have to live in, but then it may be luxury for them. Get into the real world.

Spinning again. Don’t you get giddy? No one I speak to here voted out of the EU because of refugees. That was not an issue in the referendum. Control of borders and uncontrolled numbers of EU migration were issues.

You’re talking unsubstantiated rubbish.

That strikes me as rather ironic. If the UK is so impoverished, then why do people want to live there? And perhaps I'm missing something, but it occurs to me that the UK would be better served to put its resources into improving it, rather than engaging in such irresponsible self destructive behaviour.

Besides, for such unsubstantiated rubbish, there's an uncanny level of substantiated hard cold reality behind it, as even you (unwittingly?) testify to.

la mancha Aug 5th 2016 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12020695)
That strikes me as rather ironic. If the UK is so impoverished, then why do people want to live there? And perhaps I'm missing something, but it occurs to me that the UK would be better served to put its resources into improving it, rather than engaging in such irresponsible self destructive behaviour.

Besides, for such unsubstantiated rubbish, there's an uncanny level of substantiated hard cold reality behind it, as even you (unwittingly?) testify to.

What people, Brits or EU migrant workers looking for the work their own countries cannot provide for them now or in the foreseeable future? As to improving the situation, we are, by voting down freedom of movement, or does that fact escape you?

Still waiting for your ‘evidence to the contrary’.

amideislas Aug 5th 2016 10:20 pm

It used to be the lefties that had all the idealistic delusions. What happened?