British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

iano Mar 4th 2017 8:10 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Yes, let's just walk away from all commitments and obligations and piss Europe off a little bit more. Makes sense.

Rule Britannia.

iano Mar 4th 2017 8:20 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12196562)
Meanwhile... More irony... Autos.

Nissan asks for £100 million of taxpayers money to 'attract' suppliers and safeguard the industry.

Another chunk not going to the NHS, potentially.

amideislas Mar 4th 2017 8:32 am

The euphoric expectations of the leave camp were predicated on leaving without leaving (or more commonly known as the "cake and eat it" theory) .

But what they're learning now is that it's challenging (or impossible) to leave the single market and customs union, whilst continuing free access to it.

It's impossible to explain the logic, so the only thing left is to continue to pretend. But businesses don't see the world through the same political looking glass, so they're now starting to see it from a purely practical perspective (again).

iano Mar 4th 2017 8:52 am

Nissan expanded its Sunderland plant after 'secret' talks held with May back along. With no cheque book involved, apparently, did she assure them of continuing UK membership of the customs union, I wonder.

Brexit means Brexit, hmmm.

Bipat Mar 4th 2017 9:30 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12196513)
I don't live in India.

But generally speaking, I'd have to say most Europeans see the stereotypical British inflated sense of importance (or, perhaps more accurately, the British inferiority complex) in virtually all brexit noises emulating from across the channel.

The worry is that the brick wall it's headed for isn't going to make things better for the fragile British ego. Will likely only cause Brits to become even more insecure (and insufferably arrogant).

But that's what Britain voted for, so it really needs to cut the cord and face reality. A little humility is a good thing.

You put the link! perhaps you should read them first?

Do you include all British in your description or only those who differ from yourself in their opinions?

Your link above--again, the idea that civilisation begins and ends with the EU. Is this not arrogance?

amideislas Mar 4th 2017 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12196615)
You put the link! perhaps you should read them first?

Do you include all British in your description or only those who differ from yourself in their opinions?

Your link above--again, the idea that civilisation begins and ends with the EU. Is this not arrogance?

I'm sorry, but if you're at a loss, you should probably just not say anything. Putting words in others mouths carries the risk of backfire. Besides, it's kind of obvious.

I offered the article because it does reflect the commonly held (and understandable) belief that brexit is little more than another manifestation of the common stereotype (as British media has unwittingly illustrated since long before the famed "fog in the channel" narrative).

Yes, the article mentioned India, but wasn't about India. But it's no surprise you'd trigger on that, as you do exhibit a rather single-sided India obsession in all your narratives.

Garbatellamike Mar 4th 2017 10:16 am

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 11982955)
What, you don't think that Boris has the interests of "ordinary people" at heart? Well I never.

No giving up though.

Boris only has the interests of Boris at heart -odious ***********

jimenato Mar 4th 2017 10:51 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12196626)

...and it took you 9 months to realise it? :huh:

Garbatellamike Mar 4th 2017 11:06 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12196645)
...and it took you 9 months to realise it? :huh:

nope it has been obvious for years :nod:

Bipat Mar 4th 2017 11:09 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12196624)
I'm sorry, but if you're at a loss, you should probably just not say anything. Putting words in others mouths carries the risk of backfire. Besides, it's kind of obvious.

I offered the article because it does reflect the commonly held (and understandable) belief that brexit is little more than another manifestation of the common stereotype (as British media has unwittingly illustrated since long before the famed "fog in the channel" narrative).

Yes, the article mentioned India, but wasn't about India. But it's no surprise you'd trigger on that, as you do exhibit a rather single-sided India obsession in all your narratives.

Your link had three points.
The second stated that countries such as India were 'afraid' (I can't remember the actual word) that UK had ideas of an Empire again. I pointed out to you that this was total nonsense they had no such fears.

Of course I reply to correct ignorance --it is home.
May be you could widen your horizons--this is 2017--the UK-India Culture year, and the various events doubling up as trade discussions with UK's third largest investor and second largest job creator.
But of course it is the Brexiters who are Xenophobic.:lol:and I realise that UK succeeding post Brexit is not your wish.

Dick Dasterdly Mar 4th 2017 11:10 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12196567)
Brexit: UK 'not obliged' to pay divorce bill say peers

The cross-party committee said talk of billions in pounds in liabilities was "hugely speculative" and there was a case that there may be no upfront cost to leaving.

Brexit: UK 'not obliged' to pay divorce bill say peers - BBC News

:thumbup:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...enny-say-lords

:cool:

Dick Dasterdly Mar 4th 2017 11:13 am

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12196585)
Yes, let's just walk away from all commitments and obligations and piss Europe off a little bit more. Makes sense.

Rule Britannia.

You mean like the way they pissed us off that culminated in a referendum and Brexit victory. :cool:

By the way, it may come as news to you, but the Eu IS NOT Europe and thank the Lord we now know it never will be.

Bipat Mar 4th 2017 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12196657)

Just because they are not "obliged" to pay it, doesn't mean that they won't pay it.

Bipat Mar 4th 2017 11:17 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12196626)

Not sure why Mrs May appointed him as Foreign secretary, perhaps she knew he would 'mess up' and then not be a threat to her position?

amideislas Mar 4th 2017 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12196655)
Your link had three points.
The second stated that countries such as India were 'afraid' (I can't remember the actual word) that UK had ideas of an Empire again. I pointed out to you that this was total nonsense they had no such fears.

Of course I reply to correct ignorance --it is home.
May be you could widen your horizons--this is 2017--the UK-India Culture year, and the various events doubling up as trade discussions with UK's third largest investor and second largest job creator.
But of course it is the Brexiters who are Xenophobic.:lol:and I realise that UK succeeding post Brexit is not your wish.

It's pretty well known that Britain's fear of Europe is a fear of marginalisation. There have been numerous articles written by respected social psychologists, directly correlating Britain's irrational brexit hysteria with its post-Empire inferiority complex. The subliminal blame for Britain's failures as a world power on "foreigners", and the need to justify brexit using xenophobia is precisely why that accusation keeps coming up. Besides, it isn't as if there's no evidence of it. In fact, it's rife..