British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

amideislas Jul 21st 2016 2:11 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12008361)
Makes me wonder why Britain is such an attraction for EU nationals, especially for Spanish youngsters.

Not for much longer, apparently.

Besides, I was only countering Dick's over-optimism. I should remind you that there hasn't been any brexit yet, and won't be for some time to come. And there's some uncertainty that it ever will - at least in any practical sense.

Markets act on informed speculation. Intelligence. The intel at the moment suggests brexit might not be brexit, so like anyone, hedge the bet upward, because we can reasonably predict that's how the market will trend on that intel.

But I'd bet that as soon as it becomes clear that Britain really is going it alone, the mood will most certainly change. After all, that's what it thought immediately following the referendum. But wait, that may not be the case.

SultanOfSwing Jul 21st 2016 2:14 pm

Holy shit, the hypocrisy in this thread about 'broken records' is ****ing hilarious.

EMR Jul 21st 2016 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12008228)
So surprise, surprise, Cameron's project fear turned out to be a load of B.S.

The IMF forecast UK growth in 2017 to be 1.3 per cent, the fastest in Europe ahead of both France and Germany.

The FTSE index reached an 11 month high, closing above the 6,700 mark for the first time since August.

Employment reached a new record high of 74.4 per cent of the working age population, with 31.7 million people having jobs in the three months to May, 176,000 up from the previous quarter.

Interest in the UK property market from overseas buyers was up 50 per cent since the Referendum.

Onwards and Upwards. :thumbup:

Dick your understanding of reality is worrying.
First of all pre brexit growth forcasts were higher.
Unemployment figure are pre vote.April, May, June, ( when was the referendum ? )
Uk global players who make up the bulk of the footsies overseas earnings are worth more because of the fall in sterling ( brexit )..
UK shares are now more affordable to overseas buyers again due to the fall in sterling ( brexit )
London properties now cost less for overseas buyers ( sterling ) brexit.
Facts, Dick ,Facts.

GeniB Jul 21st 2016 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12008387)
Holy shit, the hypocrisy in this thread about 'broken records' is ****ing hilarious.

Oh God Sultan,If you value your sanity keep away :eek:

SultanOfSwing Jul 21st 2016 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12008433)
Oh God Sultan,If you value your sanity keep away :eek:

Oh don't worry, I lost that long ago.

DaveLovesDee Jul 21st 2016 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12008455)
Oh don't worry, I lost that long ago.

On the plus side, did you get the link in your FB inbox about Red Dwarf series 11?

SultanOfSwing Jul 21st 2016 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12008482)
On the plus side, did you get the link in your FB inbox about Red Dwarf series 11?

Strangely, no. I just went to check it there and didn't see anything either :confused:

DaveLovesDee Jul 21st 2016 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12008498)
Strangely, no. I just went to check it there and didn't see anything either :confused:

Try your 'other' messages.

Here's the link

SultanOfSwing Jul 21st 2016 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12008503)
Try your 'other' messages.

Here's the link

I've been looking forward to this one for a while. I had read some posts by people who were in the audience for filming and they said it was something of a return to form.

I finally got around to buying the DVDs for Back To Earth (OK) and X (quite good), in anticipation.

EMR Jul 22nd 2016 10:25 am

Sterling falls again as first set of post brexit figures on manufacturing and pmi show sharp falls in activity.

Lion in Winter Jul 22nd 2016 11:04 am

Here we go again. Good old financial instability. The Eurozone as a whole is doing better than us though, which is something - don't need them falling apart.

Brexit plunges UK economy to worst level since 2009, data suggests - BBC News

We can always hope it's just a hiccup. I understand that positive thinking is the main thing.

mmmmbuti Jul 22nd 2016 12:31 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12009194)
Here we go again. Good old financial instability. The Eurozone as a whole is doing better than us though, which is something - don't need them falling apart.

Brexit plunges UK economy to worst level since 2009, data suggests - BBC News

We can always hope it's just a hiccup. I understand that positive thinking is the main thing.

How there can be positive thinking without a serious plan or even an agreed definition of what Brexit means? The only thinking you can have is wishful thinking.

Lion in Winter Jul 22nd 2016 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by mmmmbuti (Post 12009256)
How there can be positive thinking without a serious plan or even an agreed definition of what Brexit means? The only thinking you can have is wishful thinking.

No, you've got that wrong. All this negativity is the problem, not the actual objective conditions.

TGA Jul 27th 2016 7:31 am

Taylor Wimpey reports “business as usual” post Brexit vote

The housing giant has been carefully analysing trading since the referendum decision on June 24.
Chief Executive Peter Redfern said: “One month on from the EU Referendum, current trading remains in line with normal seasonal patterns.
“Customer interest continues to be high, with a good level of visitors both to our developments and to our website.
“We are monitoring customer confidence closely across a number of metrics, including appointment bookings, and these continue to be solid.
“Whilst it is still too early to assess what the longer term impact from the Referendum result on the housing market may be, we are encouraged by the first month’s trading and by continued competitive lending from the mortgage providers as well as the positive commentary from Government and policymakers.”

Redfern’s comments came as Taylor Wimpey posted an increase in pre-tax profit of 12% to £266m for the half year to July 3 as revenue rose 9% to £1.46bn.
http://www.constructionenquirer.com/...l-post-brexit/

you can calm down now.

Scamp Jul 27th 2016 7:51 am

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12013009)
Taylor Wimpey reports “business as usual” post Brexit vote

Taylor Wimpey reports “business as usual” post Brexit vote | Construction Enquirer

you can calm down now.

I bet they want to shout positive news, they're still 20% down on share price since the vote.