British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Red Eric Jan 26th 2017 10:47 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12162127)
It will probably take the UK out of schemes like Erasmus but tbh Erasmus has become a bit of a thorn in the side of British universities and colleges now anyway.

It wouldn't necessarily and in fact that was one of the points raised by campaigners in suppor of Leave.

Where do you get it from that it's a thorn in their sides - or is that your opinion as opposed to the institutions themselves?

Garbatellamike Jan 26th 2017 10:51 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12162106)
Is there anyone on here who is actually IN business in the uk? Anyone who even works for a company who will be affected by Brexit and who can give some actual on the ground facts about what will happen?

NO there isn't - there is still far too much uncertainty to be sure of anything.

As you, rightly, allude to above the debate remains assertion rich and almost entirely fact free.

DigitalGhost Jan 26th 2017 10:53 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12162158)
Where do you get it from that it's a thorn in their sides - or is that your opinion as opposed to the institutions themselves?

I'm limited in what I can tell you however I will say that it isn't just my opinion. Erasmus has been a bit of a problem since the UK tuition fee hike.

Red Eric Jan 26th 2017 11:04 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12162159)
As you, rightly, allude to above the debate remains assertion rich and almost entirely fact free.

True - although there are a few posters who try to point out where incorrect assertions have been made.

GeniB Jan 26th 2017 12:07 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12162162)
I'm limited in what I can tell you however I will say that it isn't just my opinion. Erasmus has been a bit of a problem since the UK tuition fee hike.

Why can't you say? Or is what you not saying the point? i.e. that the Brits should not have hiked tuition fee's under the Erasmus agreement ?

DigitalGhost Jan 26th 2017 12:08 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12162199)
Why can't you say?

NDA.

GeniB Jan 26th 2017 12:10 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12162171)
True - although there are a few posters who try to point out where incorrect assertions have been made.


Yes they do..and it's an exhausting position to be in. Along the line of Fake News when mud is slung i.e. false assertions made , it's almost impossible to wipe it all off.

I am still stunned that on Saturday the 21st Jan well over 5 million women marched . In London,in Washington all around the world in fact. (I am very proud to say my daughter marched in Seattle along with over 100,000 other protesters at the appointment and principles of this appalling man DT)

Many of the protesters in London will.. as I and my two D's have .. fill in postcards in order to flood Theresa Mays post box at no 10.Letting her know how disgusted they are with her mild,lacklustre reaction to DT's misogyny and attitude to women in 2017. Her appalling response to Andrew Marr when questioned about her attitude on Sunday morning was the final straw. It's particularly bitter when we know she is meeting with this potential 'dictator ' today carrying a less than ideal attitude.
I am assuming many of you on here have wives and daughters,girlfriends, female relatives ,work colleagues etc
I would hope that you would support them.
This man has just become the leader of the most powerful country in the world.What he is saying today may well become the norm for your family members in the future.

Annetje Jan 26th 2017 12:21 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12162127)
I work in the education sector at the moment. The current line from the top is that it won't affect student numbers all that much. By far the largest number of foreign students in the UK now come from China and European youths should have no issues obtaining student visas. It will probably take the UK out of schemes like Erasmus but tbh Erasmus has become a bit of a thorn in the side of British universities and colleges now anyway.

With regards to European nationals employed as staff, no promises are being made until the government and the EU confirm their plans. If needed then they would probably sponsor academics (professors etc) for UK visas but that would be about it.

Hard Brexit could be the 'biggest disaster' for UK universities in many years | The Independent

Home Office to slash international student visas by nearly half | The Independent
I like the first comment on that one. Old article though (december) ...

Red Eric Jan 26th 2017 12:46 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
From that article :


But according to vice-chancellors, many students are being rejected for visas after failing tough application interviews which test individuals on their credibility.

Examples given included one applicant who had failed the test because he did not know the university library opening times, and another was rejects for not knowing the name of the vice-chancellor.
:lol::lol: Testing the credibility of potential students by asking them the name of the vice-chancellor and the university library opening times! Any bogus student is going to know that kind of stuff.

Try asking if they know the student union bar opening times and where to score some grass.

la mancha Jan 26th 2017 1:56 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12161919)

Where to start with this pile of toys next to a pram?

'You don't know me' 'You can't categorise me' Jesus ****ing wept.

So you said; 'it's not only rich people' and then just blame rich people?
Branson - let's blame him for everything shall we? He's rich after all...everything you seem to dislike is aimed one way. Blaming me for raising the point is cool and everything, but it's far too obvious to hide.

The sentence in red above is highlighted just because it's bizarre, irrelevant and stupid.

You and anarchy flags have a bit in common. Angry red, claims to be for the greater good, but in reality just self-serving and satisfying your own hatred of The Establishment. :nod:



'crystal ball quips'
Glad it's not just me. :eek:

‘Once and for all, Britain out of the EU will be able to negotiate anything it wants free of EU interference. If you want to know more about EU business rules and regulations then contact the EU website.’

That is bizarre, irrelevant and stupid? But you asked me why we cannot do the things May wants to do within the EU. I answered.

I, a Tory (until Cameron) and now a UKIP supporter, hate the establishment? I fully support May. I thought the Tories were, traditionally, the establishment. If not, who are they? I think it is you who is bizarre.

'crystal ball quips' – see my next post

‘but in reality just self-serving’ – see my next post

SultanOfSwing Jan 26th 2017 1:58 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12162256)
'crystal ball quips' – see my next post

‘but in reality just self-serving’ – see my next post

What is this? "Coming soon, from La Mancha ..." :lol:

amideislas Jan 26th 2017 1:59 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
The earth stands still continues to turn in anticipation... :popcorn:

la mancha Jan 26th 2017 2:02 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12161743)
Yes, you did. And you do.

It's sore through the sheer f**king hypocrisy of being hit, over and over again, by you bastard right wing nut jobs claiming you have the interests of anyone other than yourselves at heart. You vote freaking Tory or UKIP at every opportunity you get, including at EU elections and then you grizzle about the state of things and blame the EU and "lefties".

Fricking priceless.


Whoops! Looks like I did hit a sore spot.

Let’s face it most of the posts on here are opinions and links. All are telling us what will happen with Brexit when Brexit hasn’t happened yet. So why do you Remainers attack me with ‘crystal ball’ jibes when this is endemic across this thread? Maybe it is because you like to remind us that you (think) are intellectually superior to anyone who does not agree with your views? Most of the links posted on here are either for or against Brexit with their predictions. A political party will put forward a manifesto. A business will put forward a business plan. All crystal ball stuff yet you, and many others, persist in trying to put me down with ‘crystal ball’ jibes. Well, I will continue to say what I want, especially as I now know how it grates with many of you.

Okay, I am a May supporter and UKIP voter. Why is it necessary to vent your bile at me because my support differs from yours? You are, presumably, a Labour supporter. I have never said anything derogatory about Corbyn or insulted you because of your beliefs. I have never blamed, let alone used the word, ‘lefties’. My blame lies solely with the EU. Not Labour. Not Cameron. Not Europe. Not anyone but the EU. I vote for the good of the country. Some may disagree but that is why we vote the way we do. The state of things are now starting to turn my way, the way I voted. I am not grizzling now. I am extolling the future of Britain out of the EU with May.

So I am a bastard right wing nut job, am I? Calm down. I could use the same sort of language against you for your beliefs but it serves no purpose, does it, because I will still say the things I want, whether you like them or not. I have repeatedly stated here that I have the low-paid and ordinary people at heart, not myself. I have stated on here that I will return to Spain sometime soon in business but that plan may be in jeopardy now with Brexit. Unlike most of you, especially those expats who never cease to tell Brits in the UK how to live, self-preservation was never my interest when I voted OUT. A fair deal for all IN BRITAIN was.

Don’t take things so personal just because I criticise what you post. I don’t. And stop feeling so sorry for yourself.

la mancha Jan 26th 2017 2:03 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Hey, SoS, I haven't the time right now to repeat myself.

SultanOfSwing Jan 26th 2017 2:04 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
It's 'personally'. Use your adverbs correctly, dear boy, you're not an American.


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:50 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.