British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Fredbargate Jan 13th 2017 1:21 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12150874)
Hmmmm

History is not your strong point?

http://britishexpats.com/forum/take-...rectly-873146/

EMR Jan 13th 2017 1:21 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12150795)
EMR once and for all ---what facts am I ignoring? What odd view of history do I have?
I told you that I am and always have been aware of Goan origin people coming to the UK and have been doing so long before you discovered that!
I live there!!!!!!!

When have I ever said UK discriminates against those from India?
I have merely discussed free movement and non-EU migrants.

I think you need a holiday!:lol: (Or just admit that you are not an expert on the entire world).
Why not come and visit the Konkan coast? (Goa and Karnataka), then you can actually learn a bit more about the area.

Added a link from Oheraldo-main Goan newspaper which I am sure you regularly read.

Herald: ‘Registering birth in Portugal can’t get you citizenship’

We will leave it at his, I will continue to prefer the views of the Indian press even some in the UK press and recorded history to yours on this subject. and of British rule in India.
You post a link from 2014 while those I refer to are from Dec 2015 and June 2016.

DigitalGhost Jan 13th 2017 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12150906)
The EU is in many ways very similar to the US .

I would actually say that the current EU is more similar to the Canadian provincial system than the US federal model.

EMR Jan 13th 2017 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12150925)
I would actually say that the current EU is more similar to the Canadian provincial system than the US federal model.

It. Is certainly no where near being the dictatorship that some of our extreme ultra brexiters imagine it to be.

DigitalGhost Jan 13th 2017 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12150929)
It. Is certainly no where near being the dictatorship that some of our extreme ultra brexiters imagine it to be.

Is it a dictatorship? Not by a long shot.

Does it stick its nose into things that don't really concern it a lot of the time? Absolutely.

EMR Jan 13th 2017 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12150931)
Is it a dictatorship? Not by a long shot.

Does it stick its nose into things that don't really concern it a lot of the time? Absolutely.

You can say that of every government or local official since the first one walked this earth.

Bipat Jan 13th 2017 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12150917)
We will leave it at his, I will continue to prefer the views of the Indian press even some in the UK press and recorded history to yours on this subject. and of British rule in India.
You post a link from 2014 while those I refer to are from Dec 2015 and June 2016.

EMR---1) why do you find it impossible to put down in writing in what way my explanations of the situation of Goan origin migrants to the UK is wrong??

2) What way have I said anything different from recorded history.

3) (What way is my view of British rule wrong? Were you there?
OH who is now 84 years old was there (I of course was a child bride:lol::lol:) parents in law, grandparents in law, great aunts, uncles, cousins etc. etc., neighbours in their 90s. all spread across many States.
You know more than all do you?:lol::lol:)

At least answer the first two points! so that we can all know the truth about those non-EU migrants coming to Swindon.

Just remembered you previously criticised me for quoting an Indian newspaper as you only read UK newspapers as they were more trustworthy ---what changed?

An up to date link for you.
http://www.epaperoheraldo.in/Details...&dat=1/13/2017

EMR Jan 13th 2017 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12150997)
EMR---1) why do you find it impossible to put down in writing in what way my explanations of the situation of Goan origin migrants to the UK is wrong??

2) What way have I said anything different from recorded history.

3) (What way is my view of British rule wrong? Were you there?
OH who is now 84 years old was there (I of course was a child bride:lol::lol:) parents in law, grandparents in law, great aunts, uncles, cousins etc. etc., neighbours in their 90s. all spread across many States.
You know more than all do you?:lol::lol:)

At least answer the first two points! so that we can all know the truth about those non-EU migrants coming to Swindon.

Just remembered you previously criticised me for quoting an Indian newspaper as you only read UK newspapers as they were more trustworthy ---what changed?

An up to date link for you.
Details

Its simple it was a comment about thousands keaving Goa to come to the Uk using a loophole that gave them EU citizenship that was taken up by the brexit anti immigrant UK press.
It was a story about India in the Indian press., not about the Uk.
As for Brotish rule you just need to check recorded history not the views of your neighbours.
EG British soldiers would have been carrying guns, we were at war from 1939, did that not occur to your neighbour...
Soldiers carry guns, even Indian ones.
You should start a thread of your own.
200 years of British rule in India, good or bad.,?

DaveLovesDee Jan 13th 2017 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12150925)

What are the differences between the US Federal and Canadian Federal systems?

Bipat Jan 13th 2017 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12151016)
Its simple it was a comment about thousands keaving Goa to come to the Uk using a loophole that gave them EU citizenship that was taken up by the brexit anti immigrant UK press.
It was a story about India in the Indian press., not about the Uk.
As for Brotish rule you just need to check recorded history not the views of your neighbours.
EG British soldiers would have been carrying guns, we were at war from 1939, did that not occur to your neighbour...
Soldiers carry guns, even Indian ones.
You should start a thread of your own.
200 years of British rule in India, good or bad.,?

I have repeatedly said, to the boredom of other posters, that I have been aware for years of Goans coming to the UK using their Portuguese passports. Everyone who has anything to do with Goa knew and knows this.

(Regarding British rule why pick out the word "neighbours" I used several other examples, living in many States.
The British carried guns to keep the locals in order---they were very rarely used.
I know the place where they were stationed in our town, it is now a small hotel.
The British soldiers threw down their cigarette cards when used, OH had a collection, they also swam naked in the sea (local children would hide in the bushes to watch!).
I have seen the 'no natives' signs kept as souvenirs.
The forest officer (non military) had a wonderful butterfly collection allowed local children to look at it, he stayed on after, and is buried in the local Christian cemetary. As I have said there were good relationships on the ground.
The collector (of taxes) not particularly welcome, it went to Britain!! although only obeying orders.
No need for a thread---- subject closed. It is insulting that those such as yourself who never set foot in the country now let alone at the time, claim to know everything.

I may disagree with Morpeth to some extent, but at least he knows from his side what he is talking about.

EMR Jan 13th 2017 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12151042)
I have repeatedly said, to the boredom of other posters, that I have been aware for years of Goans coming to the UK using their Portuguese passports. Everyone who has anything to do with Goa knew and knows this.

(Regarding British rule why pick out the word "neighbours" I used several other examples, living in many States.
The British carried guns to keep the locals in order---they were very rarely used.
I know the place where they were stationed in our town, it is now a small hotel.
The British soldiers threw down their cigarette cards when used, OH had a collection, they also swam naked in the sea (local children would hide in the bushes to watch!).
I have seen the 'no natives' signs kept as souvenirs.
The forest officer (non military) had a wonderful butterfly collection allowed local children to look at it, he stayed on after, and is buried in the local Christian cemetary. As I have said there were good relationships on the ground.
The collector (of taxes) not particularly welcome, it went to Britain!! although only obeying orders.
No need for a thread---- subject closed. It is insulting that those such as yourself who never set foot in the country now let alone at the time, claim to know everything.

I may disagree with Morpeth to some extent, but at least he knows from his side what he is talking about.

So these local incidents which are not evidence of an oppresive occupying power are all you have to offer.

There is need for a thread if yiou keep ignoring the facts and 200 years of recorded history.
I take it you have still not read the aricles in the Indian Times and Daily mail.
What are you afraid of, learning something.

DigitalGhost Jan 13th 2017 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12151018)
What are the differences between the US Federal and Canadian Federal systems?

The provinces have a lot more power. They are allowed to run their own immigration streams for example.

In Canada, I think something like Obamacare would be managed at province level rather than federal.

Bipat Jan 13th 2017 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12151057)
So these local incidents which are not evidence of an oppresive occupying power are all you have to offer.

There is need for a thread if yiou keep ignoring the facts and 200 years of recorded history.
I take it you have still not read the aricles in the Indian Times and Daily mail.
What are you afraid of, learning something.

I was trying to put some local examples, can hardly write blog on a thread! they were not beating up the locals all day long! Father in law played tennis with British officers (he would not have been allowed to set foot in the club house or sit with them to eat).
Are you saying the British were invited there? What are the FACTS you are on about? Tell us!

I read the articles when they first were published, every one in Goa obviously read these articles. I know about it/ I knew about it!
What is there more to learn???????????????????????????

You presumably disaprove that they came to the UK*, you are in Portugal, take it up with the Government there.

*Of course the parents of Keith Vaz came that way and brought young Keith with them. There was a joke going round that the UK would return the Kohinoor diamond if they could send Keith Vaz back with it!:lol:

EMR Jan 13th 2017 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12151062)
The provinces have a lot more power. They are allowed to run their own immigration streams for example.

In Canada, I think something like Obamacare would be managed at province level rather than federal.

Something the Scots Nats , the Welsh and Northern Irish would like , more freedom to make their own decisions, less direction from Whitehall.
We have to ask why England does not have its own governmental structure with the same powers as theirs limited, as they are.

DaveLovesDee Jan 13th 2017 4:15 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12151062)

And EU countries manage their own migration needs outside the free movement rules.

As does each EU member state.