British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

scrubbedexpat099 Jan 13th 2017 3:05 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12150560)
Of course there's going to be a red line in the EU negotiations, and I can tell you exactly where that line will be.

If the UK wants single-market access free movement of goods) and financial services passporting (freedom to provide services), it has to accept the other two pillars of the EU, namely the free movement of goods, and the free movement of capital.

Why would you think any post-Brexit deal would give us more access to the EU as non-members than we have as members. We have the most opt-outs of any EU member state, and a rebate on the money we would have paid out each year.

If we better a better exit deal than we have now (such as single-market access and financial passporting) as a non-member, without free movement of workers, every other EU country would want a better deal.

It us not really a Portuguese problem, they get the processing fees and the kudos from SJW's.

Not that different to Spain. And if that is not practical and you have Money there is Malta?

Red Eric Jan 13th 2017 6:22 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 12150601)
It us not really a Portuguese problem, they get the processing fees and the kudos from SJW's.

Not that different to Spain. And if that is not practical and you have Money there is Malta?

What was that about? Doesn't look at all related to the quoted post or anything else under discussion, from what I can see.

Red Eric Jan 13th 2017 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12150492)
If idiots like this total nutter and Brit hater, Guy Verhofstadt, are part of the Eu negotiating team there is little point in wasting time even trying to come to terms.

So what are your preferred terms in a little more detail than just "blah blah blah mutually beneficial blah blah"? The right to use ridiculous tabloid-speak abuse at all and sundry, obviously. Number one. Anything else?

And when are you going to stop moaning?

Assanah Jan 13th 2017 7:24 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12150660)
So what are your preferred terms in a little more detail than just "blah blah blah mutually beneficial blah blah"? The right to use ridiculous tabloid-speak abuse at all and sundry, obviously. Number one. Anything else?

The EU should become a British colony of course, submitting to British wishes and having no demand in return :cool:

Problem is that Brexiteers can't stomach the real world out there. No country is going to be nice to Britian - not even India. Every country has its own interests which will be much more important than what Britain wants - that is true even for India. Nobody in the whole wide world outside Britain gives a f*** about British interets. Nobody owns Britain anything. So dear Brexiteers stop moaning about the "evil" EU and get a grip: The EU does what India, China, Nigeria, the US...will all do and that is defend their own interests even if that means ripping off Britain big time.

Bipat Jan 13th 2017 7:31 am

Originally Posted by Wintersong (Post 12150540)
Are you able to link to the articles that specify that people had to be registered at birth?

Everything I'm reading suggests that any eligible person can register themselves at any time.

For example, this (from the Times of India article which I assume you both are referencing, even though neither of you has actually linked it - Thousands Of Goans Are Giving Up Indian Citizenship To Get Portugese Passports And A New Life - Indiatimes.com ) specifically states that senior citizens can register their births with the Portuguese authorities:

Registering your birth with the Portuguese authorities is not the same thing as being registered with the Portuguese authorities at birth.

There certainly doesn't appear to be any religious requirement now, though there may have been originally of course, which would mean that most people who are eligible through parents and grandparents would be Christian by default.

Yes, the article is a little ambiguous I read it before, just as the threat to remove Indian citizenship hasn't actually happened!
The 'birth' has to be registered and yes I suppose they could have become secret Hindus and still be called Desousa. --It is not "most" had to be Christian* it is certainly all.
In India some births are not registered at all, Christians would have a Baptism certificate which is not the same.
Admin. arrangements in India are very complicated including the special laws in Goa regarding inheritance and registration of property etc. which are left over from Portuguese days. The press is not always accurate.

The senior citizens mentioned in the report would have been born during Portuguese times presumably so there would be no problem.
I have heard younger people complain bitterly that their parents hadn't registered them?

As the report stated many rushed to get Passports including senior citizens in case they would go to Europe/UK. I cannot remember any mass exodus! The figures for UK admissions would be useful.
However if India does then eventually revoke their Indian nationality they would be in difficulties if they hadn't gone.

(There is a case going on at the moment of a politician who opponents discovered had been registered as Portuguese at birth by his parents and is therefore not eligible to stand for office--he claims he didn't know etc.)

Apologies if the above is complicated but as I said everything in India is complicated!

*Hindus and Christians get on together perfectly well in Goa.

Red Eric Jan 13th 2017 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12150501)
If you mean its logical that Britain will be better off out than in,
then I fully agree with you, though obviously that's not the intention of the Eu and by Brussels taking such a bloody minded attitude it simply reflects on their own stupidity as well as further contributing to their own demise.

:cool:

Tell you what, Dick. Just supposing for one wild moment that it becomes evident to all that the UK wouldn't be better off out than in and supposing that what emerges from the Jackboot Junta is severely damaging, there's a guy here who's fighting a court battle to get a decision before Article 50 is triggered to rule on whether the process can be anulled before completion without requiring the consent of the other 27 member states. A sort of best of both worlds, if the decision goes in his favour.

Surprising the government didn't seek clarification on that one, isn't it?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...lin-and-london

What do you reckon? :shades_smile:

EMR Jan 13th 2017 7:52 am

Sterling fell again as markets view Mays next speech on the EU as indicating further moves towards a hard Brexit. Reuters.

EMR Jan 13th 2017 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12150679)
Yes, the article is a little ambiguous I read it before, just as the threat to remove Indian citizenship hasn't actually happened!
The 'birth' has to be registered and yes I suppose they could have become secret Hindus and still be called Desousa. --It is not "most" had to be Christian* it is certainly all.
In India some births are not registered at all, Christians would have a Baptism certificate which is not the same.
Admin. arrangements in India are very complicated including the special laws in Goa regarding inheritance and registration of property etc. which are left over from Portuguese days. The press is not always accurate.

The senior citizens mentioned in the report would have been born during Portuguese times presumably so there would be no problem.
I have heard younger people complain bitterly that their parents hadn't registered them?

As the report stated many rushed to get Passports including senior citizens in case they would go to Europe/UK. I cannot remember any mass exodus! The figures for UK admissions would be useful.
However if India does then eventually revoke their Indian nationality they would be in difficulties if they hadn't gone.

(There is a case going on at the moment of a politician who opponents discovered had been registered as Portuguese at birth by his parents and is therefore not eligible to stand for office--he claims he didn't know etc.)

Apologies if the above is complicated but as I said everything in India is complicated!

*Hindus and Christians get on together perfectly well in Goa.

Lets put an end to this once and for all,The UK has admitted over 20,000 goans in possesion of Portuguese passports who were able to take advantage of this scheme..
Not elderly people but of all ages.
Just the sort of ammunition those anti EU and anti FOM love to read.
The DM article on the subject being a typical example.

Red Eric Jan 13th 2017 8:13 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12150699)
Lets put an end to this once and for all...

:lol::lol::lol:

Bipat Jan 13th 2017 8:22 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12150699)
Lets put an end to this once and for all,The UK has admitted over 20,000 goans in possesion of Portuguese passports who were able to take advantage of this scheme..
Not elderly people but of all ages.
Just the sort of ammunition those anti EU and anti FOM love to read.
The DM article on the subject being a typical example.

Yes please put an end to it. We know there are Goans on Portuguese passports coming to the UK, of all ages because most parents did register their babies. They have been coming for years, many settling in Swindon. I believe one Swindon Lord Mayor was of Goan origin----I may be wrong about that, so don't bother to correct me!!
We will never know what your problem was!

EMR Jan 13th 2017 8:42 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12150706)
Yes please put an end to it. We know there are Goans on Portuguese passports coming to the UK, of all ages because most parents did register their babies. They have been coming for years, many settling in Swindon. I believe one Swindon Lord Mayor was of Goan origin----I may be wrong about that, so don't bother to correct me!!
We will never know what your problem was!

Once againyou are ignoring facts, the Indian press , the UK press preferring the vews of relatives and local taxi drivers.
But it does refute the claim you keep making that the UK discriminates against those from Indua.
It obviously does not.
Stick to facts and not your own odd view of history .

Red Eric Jan 13th 2017 8:56 am

If you need a mediator, I'm neutral.

What's the issue again?

EMR Jan 13th 2017 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12150722)
If you need a mediator, I'm neutral.

What's the issue again?

" Oh no its the Portuguese Inquisition ":lol::lol:

GeniB Jan 13th 2017 9:32 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12150251)
Then you get one guest that wants special menu items that aren't available to the others, which you provide, then they end up taking a dump on the table and going home before dessert is served.

OHMYGOD.. you were obviously at one of the dinners I had to organise when President of my International women's club.( Altho i could boast 67 nationalities)

I think they eventually found me weeping quietly under the table :eek::eek::eek:

DigitalGhost Jan 13th 2017 10:05 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12150246)
I guess you've never tried organising anything involving 28 separate groups of people at the same time, such as a dinner. You'd need to create a menu that all 28 groups agree on, otherwise you can end up serving 28 different menus.

The organising can be difficult, but the end result becomes easier for everyone to work with. It's the same with EU regulations and EU-other country trade agreements.

You see, I would argue that what they have delivered doesn't really work for anybody at the moment. The British have ended up with a ton of immigration that they didn't want, the Irish, French, Italian, Greek and Spanish economies are all in the shit house, Germany is having to take on more of an administrative roll than should have been allowed and the Eastern Europeans have all experienced a brain drain.