British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Bipat Jan 12th 2017 9:08 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12150395)
India Times 15th December 2015 headline.
Thousands giving up Indian citizenship to become Portuguese in search of a better life. ( I paraphrase )
I do check my facts and not rely of hisorical prejudice.

I suggest you check yours.
But when FOM ends if it does, this loophole will be closed.

EMR --you still haven't put the link.
Yes, I remember the report. As I explained to you above. IF the Indian Government went ahead and REMOVED their Indian citizenship they would have to apply for a Portuguese passport and would need a visa to stay in India.
Or they could renounce Portuguese citizenship and keep Indian nationality.

Have just found your link --you read it again and you will see the words "PROVIDED THEY ARE REGISTERED AT BIRTH". which I have quoted to you several times. So those that thought they might want to go, hastily got passports.
They have been using this route to the UK for years obviously it is nothing new.
The Times was slightly sensationalist reporting.

Obvously when freedom of movement ends this route will end, why are you so 'worked up' over it?

EMR, I was last there in November hardly history!, will be there in a few weeks, we go regularly for an evening meal at Palolem, our larger bank branch at Margao, at least once OH insists on visiting Shanta Durga. Relatives from Panjim and Salcete regularly visit and ourselves them---read the Oheraldo on line. I think possibly more knowledge about the place than yourself wouldn't you say????
What is "prejudiced" about understanding the facts?

Bipat Jan 12th 2017 9:11 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12150401)
So why keep making such an enormous deal of it?

Surely there are at least an equivalent number of people who are eligible for UK citizenship and who apply for it in order to gain entry to another EU country?

Ask EMR, he raised the subject and keeps on about it, but unfortunately does not understand the 'facts'.

DaveLovesDee Jan 12th 2017 9:14 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12150397)
If the EU really seeks to punish Britain with a 'lose-lose' Brexit it will only hasten its own destruction

Precisely.
It's something of a reflection of the bloody minded dictatorial way Brussels have been treating other member states which disagree with the ill conceived policies which are IMPOSED on them.

Oh dear, the outrage and back biting amongst the naive Fat Cats in Brussels now they're finding out that everyone is pissed off with them.

You forgot the :sarcasm: smiley again.

The 'paperclips' portfolio was an attempt at humour, and I believe Lord King was given the Security portfolio because that was the same one his predecessor Lord Hill had as an EU Commissioner.

No-one will be punishing anyone for anything, it's counter-productive. We still have to trade with the EU (unless we're happy to no longer be able to buy European products directly), and the UK and the EU will come to an agreement on whether trade will continue under single-market rules a bilateral trade agreement, a customs union or (if no agreement is reached), using WTO rules.

Dick Dasterdly Jan 12th 2017 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12150442)
You forgot the :sarcasm: smiley again.

The 'paperclips' portfolio was an attempt at humour, and I believe Lord King was given the Security portfolio because that was the same one his predecessor Lord Hill had as an EU Commissioner.

No-one will be punishing anyone for anything, it's counter-productive. We still have to trade with the EU (unless we're happy to no longer be able to buy European products directly), and the UK and the EU will come to an agreement on whether trade will continue under single-market rules a bilateral trade agreement, a customs union or (if no agreement is reached), using WTO rules.

Of course it's counter productive.

Of course we'll still be trading with them, which is why the Eu should have had enough sense to try and make progress by coming to terms with the situation in a more understanding way, rather than continuing with their bloody minded attitude, stupidly believing that threats and blackmail, will achieve a satisfactory outcome, when in actual fact the idiots are simply cuttting off their noses to spite their faces.

Dick Dasterdly Jan 12th 2017 9:35 pm

Brexit will be good for universities, Oxford’s new Head of Brexit strategy says

Brexit will be good for universities, Oxford’s new Head of Brexit strategy says...

"British universities will establish global networks and recruit the world's "best and brightest" students outside of the European Union, Oxford University's head of Brexit strategy claimed yesterday.

Speaking publicly for the first time since his appointment in December, Professor Alastair Buchan told the Education Select Committee that membership of the EU had "sidelined" Canadian and American researchers who used to come to work at British universities, as freedom of movement made it easier to recruit Europeans.

"One of the things that we did lose was that nice and easy flow of clinicians and clinician science from Canada, the US, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa," he told the Committee in the first public hearing since the vote to leave in June last year."

EMR Jan 12th 2017 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12150435)
Ask EMR, he raised the subject and keeps on about it, but unfortunately does not understand the 'facts'.

I have just been watching a review of the film la la land.
They should have been reading your posts with their unique slant on history and the latest pretending that even the Indian press has got its facts wrong.
I think next time you mention Goa , there should be a loud cry of.
" NOT THE PORTUGUESE INQUISITION "

EMR Jan 12th 2017 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12150431)
Yes, I remember the report. As I explained to you above. IF the Indian Government went ahead and REMOVED their Indian citizenship they would have to apply for a Portuguese passport and would need a visa to stay in India.

Have just found your link --you read it again and you will see the words "PROVIDED THEY ARE REGISTERED AT BIRTH". which I have quoted to you several times. So those that thought they might want to go, hastily got passports.
They have been using this route to the UK for years obviously it is nothing new.

Obvously when freedom of movement ends this route will end, why are you so 'worked up' over it?

EMR, I was last there in November hardly history!, will be there in a few weeks, we go regularly for an evening meal at Palolem, our larger bank branch at Margao, at least once OH insists on visiting Shanta Durga. Relatives from Panjim and Salcete regularly visit and ourselves them---read the Oheraldo on line. I think possibly more knowledge about the place than yourself wouldn't you say????

I have given you the date and source.
I thought you only read the Indian press.
These are not my opinions but the facts in the Indian Press.
What in the articles is wrong ?

Vexcore Jan 12th 2017 9:48 pm

The best solution is, we should declare we no longer recognise EU laws, or its courts. Stop paying billions to keep the broke countries (like Malta) afloat. Start doing deals with other countries and any country in the EU if they so wish it; make the UK financially beneficial for large corporations and encourage trade.

Common sense no? what the hell is the *EU* gonna do to us if we do it that way ? slap us with fines? (just say we don't recognise this fine)- time play hardball me thinks.

Too much riff n raff

DaveLovesDee Jan 12th 2017 10:14 pm

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 12150475)
The best solution is, we should declare we no longer recognise EU laws, or its courts. Stop paying billions to keep the broke countries (like Malta) afloat. Start doing deals with other countries and any country in the EU if they so wish it; make the UK financially beneficial for large corporations and encourage trade.

Common sense no? what the hell is the *EU* gonna do to us if we do it that way ? slap us with fines? (just say we don't recognise this fine)- time play hardball me thinks.

Too much riff n raff

Yes, let's try that. While you're at it, try telling your landlord/bank that you're refusing to pay your rent or mortgage. A rent/mortgage that you made an agreement to pay (unless you're lucky enough to own your own property).

The UK has agreements it must keep to until we officially exit the EU. Though I guess some would rather just not pay, instead of trying to talk with the bank to get a better deal. Even though we've always got a better deal than everyone else via our rebate.

Dick Dasterdly Jan 12th 2017 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 12150475)

If idiots like this total nutter and Brit hater, Guy Verhofstadt, are part of the Eu negotiating team there is little point in wasting time even trying to come to terms.

We need to get out of the obnoxious crock of shite disfunctional shambles of an organisation ASAP and leave them to wallow in their own self made cesspit.

Guy Verhofstadt, who is among seven candidates to replace Martin Schulz as president of the European Parliament, said he would draw a “red line” over negotiations with Theresa May and her Brexit ministers.

Speaking in Brussels tonight, he said he would do anything to prevent Britain being “better out than in”.

Annetje Jan 12th 2017 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12150492)
If idiots like this total nutter and Brit hater, Guy Verhofstadt, are part of the Eu negotiating team there is little point in wasting time even trying to come to terms.

We need to get out of the obnoxious crock of shite disfunctional shambles of an organisation ASAP and leave them to wallow in their own self made cesspit.

Guy Verhofstadt, who is among seven candidates to replace Martin Schulz as president of the European Parliament, said he would draw a “red line” over negotiations with Theresa May and her Brexit ministers.

Speaking in Brussels tonight, he said he would do anything to prevent Britain being “better out than in”.

Seems logical to me

Bipat Jan 12th 2017 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12150473)
I have given you the date and source.
I thought you only read the Indian press.
These are not my opinions but the facts in the Indian Press.
What in the articles is wrong ?

I didn't say the article in the Times was wrong just that you didn't understand it. Three times it mentioned that they must be registered with the Portuguese authorities at birth.

Here is another later link for you regarding the threat of removal of Indian citizenship.

Goans may lose Indian citizenship if name found in Portugal Registry

What is my "slant" on Goan history that you find a problem? It is the history of my family, friends, neighbours are you saying you know more?
(Even our house is built in Portuguese style, in 1860s)

Dick Dasterdly Jan 12th 2017 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12150497)
[/B]

Seems logical to me

If you mean its logical that Britain will be better off out than in,
then I fully agree with you, though obviously that's not the intention of the Eu and by Brussels taking such a bloody minded attitude it simply reflects on their own stupidity as well as further contributing to their own demise.

:cool:

Wintersong Jan 13th 2017 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12150431)

Are you able to link to the articles that specify that people had to be registered at birth?

Everything I'm reading suggests that any eligible person can register themselves at any time.

For example, this (from the Times of India article which I assume you both are referencing, even though neither of you has actually linked it - Thousands Of Goans Are Giving Up Indian Citizenship To Get Portugese Passports And A New Life - Indiatimes.com ) specifically states that senior citizens can register their births with the Portuguese authorities:

Their descendants, up to the third generation, are also eligible for Portuguese passports, which is an incentive for even senior citizens who are otherwise not interested in moving, to get their names registered at the Conservatoria dos Registos Centrais (Central Registry of Births) in Lisbon. )
Registering your birth with the Portuguese authorities is not the same thing as being registered with the Portuguese authorities at birth.

There certainly doesn't appear to be any religious requirement now, though there may have been originally of course, which would mean that most people who are eligible through parents and grandparents would be Christian by default.

DaveLovesDee Jan 13th 2017 1:40 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12150492)

Of course there's going to be a red line in the EU negotiations, and I can tell you exactly where that line will be.

If the UK wants single-market access free movement of goods) and financial services passporting (freedom to provide services), it has to accept the other two pillars of the EU, namely the free movement of goods, and the free movement of capital.

Why would you think any post-Brexit deal would give us more access to the EU as non-members than we have as members. We have the most opt-outs of any EU member state, and a rebate on the money we would have paid out each year.

If we better a better exit deal than we have now (such as single-market access and financial passporting) as a non-member, without free movement of workers, every other EU country would want a better deal.