British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DaveLovesDee Jan 12th 2017 5:50 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12150192)
Should be interesting. :nod:

Excluding Germany, Britain’s contribution is more than the total net contribution of the 26 other EU states combined ! ! !

No wonder they're already squealing :eek:

:cool:

As 16 of those 26 actually receive more than they pay in (including the Republic of Ireland), only 10 of those 26 are actually net contributors.

EU net contributions

The European Commission estimates that there are more than 30 ways to calculate net figures for budget contributions

DigitalGhost Jan 12th 2017 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12150217)
As 16 of those 26 actually receive more than they pay in (including the Republic of Ireland), only 10 of those 26 are actually net contributors.

EU net contributions

Jeez, is nothing in that organisation simplified?

You can't blame people for suspecting that they create a lot of this red tape on purpose.

Bipat Jan 12th 2017 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12150191)
The status changed after the Indian invasion.
Nothing to do with religion..You should check your facts..
Are you referring to the Indian invasion of Goa.

Bl***y H**l, EMR are you saying the Portuguese never invaded? How did they get there? Invited?
Of course it is to do with religion! Hindus of Goa could/cannot be Portuguese Citizens. They also had to change their names to Portuguese names.

The nationality question is an ongoing problem for Indian Government as dual nationality is not allowed. (However if the parent registered you as Portuguese at birth, it is involuntary--discussion going on).

We live approx. ten miles south of southern border, have relatives married to Goans. The family temple, Shanta Durga is still visited regularly and was during later time of Portuguese.

I have a hand written letter by F-in-law as he watched from Kamat point the first ships come in 1960, to take over.

(I am wasting my time here as should be packing to go back beginning of Feb.:lol: Will be landing at Dabolim)

SultanOfSwing Jan 12th 2017 5:54 pm

:popcorn:

Bipat Jan 12th 2017 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12150226)
:popcorn:

Don't worry we are discussing the PM of Portugal, a member of the EU!:lol:

SultanOfSwing Jan 12th 2017 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12150228)
Don't worry we are discussing the PM of Portugal, a member of the EU!:lol:

No worries. I just thought I'd make myself comfortable for any potential arguments that I have no frame of reference in which to participate.

EMR Jan 12th 2017 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12150222)
Bl***y H**l, EMR are you saying the Portuguese never invaded? How did they get there? Invited?
Of course it is to do with religion! Hindus of Goa could/cannot be Portuguese Citizens. They also had to change their names to Portuguese names.

The nationality question is an ongoing problem for Indian Government as dual nationality is not allowed. (However if the parent registered you as Portuguese at birth, it is involuntary--discussion going on).

We live approx. ten miles south of southern border, have relatives married to Goans. The family temple, Shanta Durga is still visited regularly and was during later time of Portuguese.

I have a hand written letter by F-in-law as he watched from Kamat point the first ships come in 1960, to take over.

(I am wasting my time here as should be packing to go back beginning of Feb.:lol: Will be landing at Dabolim)

A couple of trading vessels arriving in the 15th century building a trading post is hardly an invasion.
No different to the French or British.
All you need to do to become a Portuguese citizen is to prove a connection with Portuguese Goa that pre dates 1961.
Nothing, nada, niet to do with religion.
Over 20,000 goans now live in the Uk having taken advantage of this loophole to change their status from citizens of India to Portuguese and thus EU citizens..
You can find details in your Times of India and the Daily mail which ran a feature on them earlier this year.
As you would expect the DM was not happy that Indians have found a way to circumvent the UK immigration laws.
Free movement does not just apply to citizens of the continental EU.
Ironic that you want to block the way that thousands of Indians have got into the UK.

DaveLovesDee Jan 12th 2017 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12150220)
Jeez, is nothing in that organisation simplified?

You can't blame people for suspecting that they create a lot of this red tape on purpose.

I guess you've never tried organising anything involving 28 separate groups of people at the same time, such as a dinner. You'd need to create a menu that all 28 groups agree on, otherwise you can end up serving 28 different menus.

The organising can be difficult, but the end result becomes easier for everyone to work with. It's the same with EU regulations and EU-other country trade agreements.

SultanOfSwing Jan 12th 2017 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12150246)
I guess you've never tried organising anything involving 28 separate groups of people at the same time, such as a dinner. You'd need to create a menu that all 28 groups agree on, otherwise you can end up serving 28 different menus.

The organising can be difficult, but the end result becomes easier for everyone to work with. It's the same with EU regulations.

Then you get one guest that wants special menu items that aren't available to the others, which you provide, then they end up taking a dump on the table and going home before dessert is served.

Annetje Jan 12th 2017 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12150251)
Then you get one guest that wants special menu items that aren't available to the others, which you provide, then they end up taking a dump on the table and going home before desert is served.

Clever ! :thumbsup:

Bipat Jan 12th 2017 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12150236)
A couple of trading vessels arriving in the 15th century building a trading post is hardly an invasion.
No different to the French or British.
All you need to do to become a Portuguese citizen is to prove a connection with Portuguese Goa that pre dates 1961.
Nothing, nada, niet to do with religion.
Over 20,000 goans now live in the Uk having taken advantage of this loophole to change their status from citizens of India to Portuguese and thus EU citizens..
You can find details in your Times of India and the Daily mail which ran a feature on them earlier this year.
As you would expect the DM was not happy that Indians have found a way to circumvent the UK immigration laws.
Free movement does not just apply to citizens of the continental EU.
Ironic that you want to block the way that thousands of Indians have got into the UK.

EMR to be a Goan/Portuguese citizen you had to be Christian and change their names Da Souza, Vaz etc. Hindus could not become Portuguese citizens.
Many relatives had 'connections' with Goa prior to 1960 they cannot be Portuguese citizens. What about the keepers of the old Hindu temples they cannot become Portuguese.

Yes I am well aware of the route to the UK for Goan Christians who have registered at birth, they will still come (if they wish) in the same way as other Indians.

EMR, this is of topic, please stick to what you actually know about.

EMR Jan 12th 2017 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12150261)
EMR to be a Goan/Portuguese citizen you had to be Christian and change their names Da Souza, Vaz etc. Hindus could not become Portuguese citizens.
Many relatives had 'connections' with Goa prior to 1960 they cannot be Portuguese citizens. What about the keepers of the old Hindu temples they cannot become Portuguese.

Yes I am well aware of the route to the UK for Goan Christians who have registered at birth, they will still come (if they wish) in the same way as other Indians.

EMR, this is of otopic, please stick to what you actually know about.

I suggest you stop loving jn the past and researchbthecarticles in both the Indian and UK press.
Portuguese qualifications for Goans to change from Induan to Portuguese citizenship have nothing to do with religion.
This is 2017 not 1717.

DaveLovesDee Jan 12th 2017 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12150251)
Then you get one guest that wants special menu items that aren't available to the others, which you provide, then they end up taking a dump on the table and going home before dessert is served.

Because they believed what their 'special snowflake' friend said about the amount the group paid for the meal.

About a month after Chernobyl, I had a friend who told the restaurant we were in to remove Chicken Kiev from the menu because the radiation was killing everyone in the restaurant.

Spoiler:
BTW, you can say shit in TIO apparently

SultanOfSwing Jan 12th 2017 6:51 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12150278)
Because they believed what their 'special snowflake' friend said about the amount the group paid for the meal.

Quite.

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12150278)
About a month after Chernobyl, I had a friend who told the restaurant we were in to remove Chicken Kiev from the menu because the radiation was killing everyone in the restaurant.

Spoiler:
BTW, you can say shit in TIO apparently

That is priceless.

Bipat Jan 12th 2017 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12150270)
I suggest you stop loving jn the past and researchbthecarticles in both the Indian and UK press.
Portuguese qualifications for Goans to change from Induan to Portuguese citizenship have nothing to do with religion.
This is 2017 not 1717.

EMR I live there in the present. Any Indian press reporter knows without having to specifically mention it that it is the Goan Christians who can become Portuguese by descent. The DM would not know.

When did you last read an Indian newspaper?