British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

SultanOfSwing Jan 12th 2017 4:34 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12150117)
Lower end/cheaper British products are obviously made in China these days. Same goes for similar products from American, French, Japanese brands etc. I was referring more to high end cars and custom designed products though.

China has their own Rolls Royce knock-off, I believe.

Going by the Top Gear Chinese car episode, it's probably called the HG67989YUOOP-X.

Bipat Jan 12th 2017 4:41 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12150086)
The inquisition ended in 1812, not yesterday and Goa became part of India in the 1960s.
Some people do like to live in the past.

December 1960.
We were discussing the PM of Portugal and his origins. I thought you were an expat in Portugal?

EMR Jan 12th 2017 4:49 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12150130)
December 1960.
We were discussing the PM of Portugal and his origins. I thought you were an expat in Portugal?

Really what has your obsession with the inquisition got to do with the PM of Portugal.
Portugal gives rights to Goans in part because of the iinvasion of Goa by India..

DigitalGhost Jan 12th 2017 4:51 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12150120)
China has their own Rolls Royce knock-off, I believe.

Going by the Top Gear Chinese car episode, it's probably called the HG67989YUOOP-X.

They have knock off's for everything there but the discerning Chinese customer wants the genuine article. Status and money mean everything there and, much like the Russians, a lot of them are all about the bling.

Watching some of the stuff they take back home with them souvenirs is hilarious. A couple of months ago I saw a guy in Tokyo airport pushing a luggage trolley loaded up with a shrink wrapped microwave and what looked like half a dozen irons.

EMR Jan 12th 2017 4:52 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12150117)
Lower end/cheaper British products are obviously made in China these days. Same goes for similar products from American, French, Japanese brands etc. I was referring more to high end cars and custom designed products though.

So was I , high end fashion lines made elswhere in the far east but given a fancy British label.
Price today has no connection where a product is made.

SultanOfSwing Jan 12th 2017 4:57 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12150148)
They have knock off's for everything there but the discerning Chinese customer wants the genuine article. Status and money mean everything there and, much like the Russians, a lot of them are all about the bling.

True enough. I'm sure all those newly minted Russian billionaires aren't driving round in a GAZ or a LADA ...


Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12150148)
Watching some of the stuff they take back home with them souvenirs is hilarious. A couple of months ago I saw a guy in Tokyo airport pushing a luggage trolley loaded up with a shrink wrapped microwave and what looked like half a dozen irons.

I'd love to see the excess baggage charges for that.

Lion in Winter Jan 12th 2017 5:02 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12150117)
Lower end/cheaper British products are obviously made in China these days. Same goes for similar products from American, French, Japanese brands etc. I was referring more to high end cars and custom designed products though.

Barbour stuff is made in China.

Just saying.

EMR Jan 12th 2017 5:07 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
An aquaintance owns a range of outdoor clothing brands.
Made in China paid for in dollars.
Not the happiest of people since the fall in sterling following the brexit vote.

Bipat Jan 12th 2017 5:10 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12150144)
Really what has your obsession with the inquisition got to do with the PM of Portugal.
Portugal gives rights to Goans in part because of the iinvasion of Goa by India..

No EMR --Portugal always gave rights to those who became Christians, they became Portuguese. Their descendants could continue this after 1960, but only if they were registered at birth.
I only mentioned the inquisition as many Hindus and Christians fled to surrounding areas at that time.

Later conditions were less strict and the old pre-invasion temples were rebuilt.
Those from surrounding areas could then visit their old ancestral temples (Hindus obviously were there before the Portuguese invaded) and travel was then permitted through the area.

The PM of Portugal (as an OP has said) has Indian origins, he could become Portuguese because Portugal gave citizenship as I said above to those who became Christians and took Portuguese names.

EMR Jan 12th 2017 5:25 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12150173)
No EMR --Portugal always gave rights to those who became Christians, they became Portuguese. Their descendants could continue this after 1960, but only if they were registered at birth.
I only mentioned the inquisition as many Hindus and Christians fled to surrounding areas at that time.

Later conditions were less strict and the old pre-invasion temples were rebuilt.
Those from surrounding areas could then visit their old ancestral temples (Hindus obviously were there before the Portuguese invaded) and travel was then permitted through the area.

The PM of Portugal (as an OP has said) has Indian origins, he could become Portuguese because Portugal gave citizenship as I said above to those who became Christians and took Portuguese names.

The status changed after the Indian invasion.
Nothing to do with religion..You should check your facts..

Are you referring to the Indian invasion of Goa.

Dick Dasterdly Jan 12th 2017 5:26 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12149728)
Let's see what happens if the UK leaves the EU.

Should be interesting. :nod:

Excluding Germany, Britain’s contribution is more than the total net contribution of the 26 other EU states combined ! ! !

No wonder they're already squealing :eek:

:cool:

DigitalGhost Jan 12th 2017 5:35 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12150157)
True enough. I'm sure all those newly minted Russian billionaires aren't driving round in a GAZ or a LADA ...

Bingo. I think they would all gold plate their own bollocks if there was a place in Knightsbridge willing to perform the surgery for them.


Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12150157)
I'd love to see the excess baggage charges for that.

I've actually asked a few people about that and apparently they don't mind all that much. To them it is supposedly worth the additional cost.

DigitalGhost Jan 12th 2017 5:36 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12150164)
Barbour stuff is made in China.

Just saying.

Yeah true. So are Burberry clothes these days I believe although I've never personally been a fan of those anyway. :lol:

EMR Jan 12th 2017 5:38 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12150192)
Should be interesting. :nod:

Excluding Germany, Britain’s contribution is more than the total net contribution of the 26 other EU states combined ! ! !

No wonder they're already squealing :eek:

:cool:


The only squealing is your constant stream of ocd driven anti EU posts which have bu***** all to do with brexit or the brrexit viote.which took place 6 months ago.

DigitalGhost Jan 12th 2017 5:43 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12150192)
Should be interesting. :nod:

Excluding Germany, Britain’s contribution is more than the total net contribution of the 26 other EU states combined ! ! !

No wonder they're already squealing :eek:

:cool:

I think (hope) after Article 50 has finally been declared then things can settle down a bit and a solution can be reached that suits both sides. Anything else is really just one side cutting off an arm for the hell of it.

Personally, my preference would be a NAFTA-like agreement between Britain and the EU whereby a FTA is maintained from both sides. It could even include a special visa category similar to TN that allows a capped number of Europeans in specialised occupations with a job offer to go through a simplified temporary visa application process for the UK. In turn, Schengen could set up a similar visa for British professionals to work in Europe.

What's annoying to me is that there are numerous examples from around the world that show how to make a trade agreement that works but IMHO the EU just went too far in its efforts to create a federal system without making a federal system (if that makes sense).


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:47 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.