British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

SultanOfSwing Jan 11th 2017 3:08 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12149221)
My point is that the vast majority of applications for asylum to first-world countries seem to be based on very little more than legal loopholes and opportunism.

You have an exhaustive wealth of first hand evidence at your disposal, I presume, so I don't have to dismiss this as pure conjecture?

DigitalGhost Jan 11th 2017 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12149222)
You have an exhaustive wealth of first hand evidence at your disposal, I presume, so I don't have to dismiss this as pure conjecture?

Only that if you were really seeking escape from persecution then you would have no legitimate means to wind up in the US via land, unless the country supposedly persecuting you was Mexico.

SultanOfSwing Jan 11th 2017 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12149226)
Only that if you were really seeking escape from persecution then you would have no legitimate means to wind up in the US via land, unless the country supposedly persecuting you was Mexico.

Are you still talking about the Chinese?

It's not a remote possibility, say, that it is easier for them to find passage to, oh I don't know, Canada maybe, then they attempt to enter via land that way?

Again, and excuse me starting to lose patience here, what ****ing business is it of yours how they get to the US in the first place?

EMR Jan 11th 2017 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12149178)
I know it sounded arrogant but if you had that buffoon chucking insults at you and accusing you of all sorts without any kind of basis in fact then you would be justified in doing the same.

When ypu start posting facts instead of prejudice, eg your 20,000 refugees year being given admittance to the UK or no persecution of Jews before the start of ww2 I will stop showing you up for the idiot you obviously are..
At least you are honest about your prejudice towards non white commonwealth citizens and you support for the views regarding them by Enoch Powell.
Credit where credit is due !!. Thats not a compliment .

Bipat Jan 11th 2017 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12149317)
When ypu start posting facts instead of prejudice, eg your 20,000 refugees year being given admittance to the UK or no persecution of Jews before the start of ww2 I will stop showing you up for the idiot you obviously are..
At least you are honest about your prejudice towards non white commonwealth citizens and you support for the views regarding them by Enoch Powell.
Credit where credit is due !!. Thats not a compliment .

EMR--I believe it was another poster who mentioned Commonwealth citizens. The preference for migrants from EU or Europe would obviously be a sentiment of some 'remainers'.

Fredbargate Jan 11th 2017 5:22 pm

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12149018)
Jesus Christ, OK look as other members have warned you on here before, you really shouldn't try to argue with me. You may disagree with my views and that is absolutely your right but at the end of the day that doesn't change the fact that I am notably smarter, more mature and more knowledgeable than you are.

By constantly trying to insult me and misrepresent my statements all that you are doing is making yourself look silly. Your overall appalling quality of written English really doesn't help your cause either.

It's a tactic he is well known for and uses against anyone who has differing views to himself.
Shows his lack of education.

EMR Jan 11th 2017 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12149332)
It's a tactic he is well known for and uses against anyone who has differing views to himself.
Shows his lack of education.

It shows a dislike of the ignorance ,and prejudice against those who are not the same nationality, colour and religion that some of our posters exhibit.
I am sure Fred that you do not fall into that camp.

DigitalGhost Jan 11th 2017 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12149317)
When ypu start posting facts instead of prejudice, eg your 20,000 refugees year being given admittance to the UK.

I never actually said that though, you just read my comment at point A and jumped straight to point X to attack me without actually reading what I wrote properly.

That's what you seem to do all the time and that's why you really get my back up. There are a few other people on here with whom I often tend to disagree on these matters however at least they can string a coherent sentence together and aren't always eager to accuse people of things.

Now either realise your mistake and apologise and move on or just leave it. I'm happy either way.

EMR Jan 11th 2017 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12149331)
EMR--I believe it was another poster who mentioned Commonwealth citizens. The preference for migrants from EU or Europe would obviously be a sentiment of some 'remainers'.

I am not aware that any one has expressed a preference for EU migrants over non EU.
However unpleasant as it may be you must accept that there us an increasing prejudice in the UK against those of an obviously different culture and religion.
This was revealed in the brexit voting trends in areas with relatively low numbers of EU migrants but where immigration was given as the main reason for voting no.
If and it is a big if , EU migrant numbers were to fall significantly the anti migrant views held by many and in those areas will not change..
Did you watch the BBC prog, Why we voted Brexit ?

DaveLovesDee Jan 11th 2017 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12149180)
1) We didn't stop needing them, the Commonwealth Immigrants Act 1962 and later Enoch Powell propaganda etc. stopped them coming.
I have put links before regarding the fact that more are needed.

I thought you were trying to reduce migration, and require everyone to immigrate under the same set of rules.

Why do we need more Commonwealth nationals?

Why do we need to leave the EU when leaving doesn't guarantee any additional Commonwealth nationals would get work visas?

It might be remembered that without Commonwealth help (voluntary or involuntary) our position in Europe might be quite different!!
And without the help of many Commonwealth nationals during the war, they would have been able to migrate here in the 50's and 60's, would they? The door opens both ways....

Our position in Europe is better than the media, politicians and certain posters here like to claim it is.

Bipat Jan 11th 2017 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12149351)
I thought you were trying to reduce migration, and require everyone to immigrate under the same set of rules.

Why do we need more Commonwealth nationals?

Why do we need to leave the EU when leaving doesn't guarantee any additional Commonwealth nationals would get work visas?

And without the help of many Commonwealth nationals during the war, they would have been able to migrate here in the 50's and 60's, would they? The door opens both ways....

Our position in Europe is better than the media, politicians and certain posters here like to claim it is.

I was not suggesting increasing Commonwealth nationals, just that all are admitted according the their skills and need.

Non EU-migrants are limited by the Commonwealth immigrants Act, those from the EU have 'free movement'.

Rather ironic that the latter we are supposed to welcome in order to be friendly to past enemies and the former we should forget the help they gave to defeat those enemies when, we were in fact occupants and invaders of 'their' countries'!

Is the ability to migrate to the UK a fair recompense for a century of looting their countries? It would have been if they were made welcome.

DigitalGhost Jan 11th 2017 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12149369)

Rather ironic that the latter we are supposed to welcome in order to be friendly to past enemies and the former we should forget the help they gave to defeat those enemies when, we were in fact occupants and invaders of 'their' countries'!

My other half has mentioned that a few times. Seeing it from an outside perspective, she has always thought it slightly odd.

DaveLovesDee Jan 11th 2017 6:30 pm

I was not suggesting increasing Commonwealth nationals, just that all are admitted according the their skills and need.

Bullshit. You said,

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12149180)
1) We didn't stop needing them, the Commonwealth Immigrants Act 1962 and later Enoch Powell propaganda etc. stopped them coming.
I have put links before regarding the fact that more are needed.

Aren't you suggesting that more Commonwealth nationals are needed?

Or more immigration?

EMR Jan 11th 2017 6:30 pm

Non EU-migrants are limited by the Commonwealth immigrants Act, those from the EU have 'free movement'.

Is the ability to migrate to the UK a fair recompense for a century of looting their countries? It would have been if they were made welcome.

Only commonwealth citizens are affected by the commonwealth immigration act.
Non EU, non comonwealth are not but by a different set of rules.
You are also confusing our relationship with the India n sub continent with that of Australia, Canada, New Zealand etc.
As for military occupation not accurate when the vast majority of the troops in the subcontinent were from the local communities.
Hardly evidence of an occupying power.

DigitalGhost Jan 11th 2017 6:32 pm

From the big man at the BoE himself:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-38587625

Maybe we can start to let all the apocalyptic theories subside now.