British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Wintersong Jan 11th 2017 5:58 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12148754)
...pays his taxes...

Well, there's that ;)

DaveLovesDee Jan 11th 2017 8:34 am

I was allowed to enter the US solely because I was engaged to a US citizen. That's it. I have no in-demand skills, I am not formally educated beyond a few years in university that went nowhere. There is nothing that I do, or can do that American couldn't already take care of. But even with all that, they let me in and now I sit here a naturalized US citizen after almost 12 years of residence - a lower-middle class relative nobody who keeps to himself and pays his taxes but in general doesn't really make much of a net difference either way to the US as a whole. Whereabouts in your 'degrees of immigration' do I provide some kind of a net positive benefit to the US? It can't just be that I'm white and come from Western Europe, can it?

Hear, hear.

GeniB Jan 11th 2017 8:39 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12148589)
It's obviously escaped your notice, many other Eu member countries are now telling the Eu to stick their regulations and orders where the Sun don't shine.

The negotiation rule is petty beyond believe as well as totally unenforceable and a dumb attempt to gag free speech, as countries will continue to discuss and negotiate with each other matters that concern them most, regardless what the Brussels Dictatorship tries to do.

:cool:

Dick ..Once again you rail wildly at perceived injustice(s) from the Brussels headquarters of the EU.. The club the UK freely joined.(remember that?)

Yet. You totally fail to tell anyone on this forum what exactly the EU has done that irks you so much.?
I have lived/worked in 3 countries that are members of the EU . I have, over the past 30 yrs seen tremendous changes for the good in those countries. In all areas from education to the repair and maintenance of roads/rail and airports etc
I have frankly not seen that in the UK.Judging by the level of education of people interviewed on the street ,many can barely string a sentence together,especially amongst the young.Their knowledge of politics etc is also woeful put against countries like Netherlands and Germany

It would seem to me from your posts that you would rather people remain poor and ignorant and at your service.You would rather keep the UK as a backward antique with mainly one indigenous mix.Closed borders and closed minds

This is a recipe for xenophobic degeneration, which I actually see happening right now.The Government is way way out of touch, and in my mind obsolete in 2017

The UK deserves better than opinions like yours and politicians like them

Annetje Jan 11th 2017 9:32 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12148850)
Dick ..Once again you rail wildly at perceived injustice(s) from the Brussels headquarters of the EU.. The club the UK freely joined.(remember that?)

Yet. You totally fail to tell anyone on this forum what exactly the EU has done that irks you so much.?
I have lived/worked in 3 countries that are members of the EU . I have, over the past 30 yrs seen tremendous changes for the good in those countries. In all areas from education to the repair and maintenance of roads/rail and airports etc
I have frankly not seen that in the UK.Judging by the level of education of people interviewed on the street ,many can barely string a sentence together,especially amongst the young.Their knowledge of politics etc is also woeful put against countries like Netherlands and Germany

It would seem to me from your posts that you would rather people remain poor and ignorant and at your service.You would rather keep the UK as a backward antique with mainly one indigenous mix.Closed borders and closed minds

This is a recipe for xenophobic degeneration, which I actually see happening right now.The Government is way way out of touch, and in my mind obsolete in 2017

:goodpost:

DigitalGhost Jan 11th 2017 9:48 am

I was allowed to enter the US solely because I was engaged to a US citizen. That's it. I have no in-demand skills, I am not formally educated beyond a few years in university that went nowhere. There is nothing that I do, or can do that American couldn't already take care of. But even with all that, they let me in and now I sit here a naturalized US citizen after almost 12 years of residence - a lower-middle class relative nobody who keeps to himself and pays his taxes but in general doesn't really make much of a net difference either way to the US as a whole. Whereabouts in your 'degrees of immigration' do I provide some kind of a net positive benefit to the US? It can't just be that I'm white and come from Western Europe, can it?

I think family-based immigration is a different matter entirely and sits outside the scope of what I said. I was referring purely to people with no prior links to the country.

DigitalGhost Jan 11th 2017 9:50 am

I don't think that he has ever said that. Like me, Dick has said that he believes in positive skills-based immigration and an equal system for handling all non-British citizens.

That's not closing off your borders and your minds. That is acting sensibly.

Bipat Jan 11th 2017 9:51 am

Perhaps the xenophobics are those that think the world consists of the EU members or even just Europe.
There is a big wide world out there and the majority of it is not a member of the EU. The ignorance about people outside of Europe and free movement of the EU members rather than an equal immigration policy for immigrants from worldwide is a danger for the future.

EMR Jan 11th 2017 9:56 am

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12148882)
I don't think that he has ever said that. Like me, Dick has said that he believes in positive skills-based immigration and an equal system for handling all non-British citizens.

That's not closing off your borders and your minds. That is acting sensibly.

OK then come clean , would you be happy if the above conditions are met and migration continues at current levels or any number the economy requires with the current mix of nationalities, cultures and religions...
This of course excludes our humanitarian responsibility to genuine refugees and assylum seekers.

DigitalGhost Jan 11th 2017 10:03 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12148887)
OK then come clean , would you be happy if the above conditions are met and migration continues at current levels or any number the economy requires with the current mix of nationalities, cultures and religions...

That wouldn't happen because you would never get the numbers of people meeting the visa qualification criteria to match those currently entering from Europe.

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12148887)
This of course excludes our humanitarian responsibility to genuine refugees and assylum seekers.

As I have said time and time again, those supposed obligations do not exist. They are a figment of a collective neo-liberal imagination.

EMR Jan 11th 2017 10:23 am

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12148892)
That wouldn't happen because you would never get the numbers of people meeting the visa qualification criteria to match those currently entering from Europe.

As I have said time and time again, those supposed obligations do not exist. They are a figment of a collective neo-liberal imagination.

You are suffering from ukip delusion, business, industry, agri busineess, the new hi tech companies, the medical and health care companies, the NHS all have demands that cannot be met by the UK labour pool which is an ageing population lacking in skills and motivation.
I did not ecpect you to come ckean.
As for your last comment .

You should go back in time to nazi germany andl live as a Jew unable to migrate because of the mindset like yours that existed in far too many countries then.
Fortunately the world has moved on even if you have not.

DigitalGhost Jan 11th 2017 10:29 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12148909)
You are suffering from ukip delusion, business, industry, agri busineess, the new hi tech companies, the medical and health care companies, the NHS all have demands that cannot be met by the UK labour pool which is an ageing population lacking in skills and motivation.
I did not ecpect you to come ckean.
As for your last comment .

You should go back in time to nazi germany andl live as a Jew unable to migrate because of the mindset like yours that existed in far too many countries then.
Fortunately the world has moved on even if you have not.

Firstly the Jews in WW2 were at immediate threat from complete extermination. They were being forcibly rounded and up and annihilated in concentration camps. That isn't happening in Syria and to even make that comparison makes you look like a fool. That sort of internment and extermination is happening in other countries around the world though but of course, like the rest of your sheepish liberal cohorts, you couldn't give a shiny shit about them.

If British businesses are suffering from a labour or skills shortage then they need to invest more in training and providing scholarships and bursaries to British workers and students. Right now they don't tend to do that because businesses like to take the quickest and cheapest route possible to everything, even if that means screwing over the local population, and the EU is allowing them to legally get away with that.

Businesses across the planet all hate immigration controls of any description for one reason. Namely, those laws stand in the way of profit maximisation by preventing them from moving people around the globe as they see fit. If you think there is any other motive behind it then you are utterly delusional.

EMR Jan 11th 2017 10:39 am

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12148914)
Firstly the Jews in WW2 were at immediate threat from complete extermination. They were being forcibly rounded and up and annihilated in concentration camps. That isn't happening in Syria and to even make that comparison makes you look like a fool. That sort of internment and extermination is happening in other countries around the world though but of course, like the rest of your sheepish liberal cohorts, you couldn't give a shiny shit about them.

If British businesses are suffering from a labour or skills shortage then they need to invest more in training and providing scholarships and bursaries to British workers and students. Right now they don't tend to do that because businesses like to take the quickest and cheapest route possible to everything, even if that means screwing over the local population, and the EU is allowing them to legally get away with that.

Businesses across the planet all hate immigration controls of any description for one reason. Namely, those laws stand in the way of profit maximisation by preventing them from moving people around the globe as they see fit. If you think there is any other motive behind it then you are utterly delusional.

Not pre 1939, when those who did not think like you broke immigration rules and regs to help them escape to the UK.
Far too few and not part of our history we should be proud of.
Fortunately post war we acted in a far more humanitarian way which obviously upsets you.

You also seem to want to turn the clock back when it comes to the economic health of the UK.
Your anti migrant viewpoint is more important to you than jobs and the economy..

It really is time you left the UK because it is not going to change and yiu will continue to be bitter and frustrated for the rest of your, life if you stay here.
Delusion is your middle name if yiu think that companies will move to the over regulated labour market you would like the UK to become.

Assanah Jan 11th 2017 10:40 am

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost (Post 12148914)

Didn't you just argue for a immigration system based on skill? It is not really an incentive for companies to invest money in the local population if they can hire a skilled worker from Brazil. An immigration system based on skills allows companies to source workers from all over the world to the detriment of the local population. If you want the local population to benefit I think immigration should be cut to zero.

DigitalGhost Jan 11th 2017 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12148921)
Didn't you just argue for a immigration system based on skill? It is not really an incentive for companies to invest money in the local population if they can hire a skilled worker from Brazil. An immigration system based on skills allows companies to source workers from all over the world to the detriment of the local population. If you want the local population to benefit I think immigration should be cut to zero.

You assess based on whether or not that skill can be found on the UK market first and then allow a foreign hire if it can't. If an area of skills shortage is noticed then you encourage training, education and development in that area.

Create a system that functions like US H1-B or how the Canadian quotas worked prior to the introduction of EE and I am sure that you will solve a lot of your problems. If the NHS can only hire 1,000 foreign nurses per year then they might start to take education and training programs a bit more seriously.

DigitalGhost Jan 11th 2017 11:00 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12148919)
Not pre 1939, when those who did not think like you broke immigration rules and regs to help them escape to the UK.

So in other words those people aided criminal activity. Polish and German Jews were not at immediate threat of mass execution in 1939 so there was no need to break the law at that time.

Also that is still beside the point as Syrians still aren't at threat of extermination now. The situation in Syria is not in any way similar to the holocaust and you know it. That's just a petty and cheap trump card that your lot try to play when they are losing in a discussion and have nothing else left to bring to the table.