British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DaveLovesDee Dec 30th 2016 3:43 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12139077)
Certainly did, I got sick of witnessing corruption on a daily basis

By the Spanish government, or by the EU? Or was it the culture of the locals?

Different countries have always had their particular issues. In Spain, it's corruption. In Malta, it's usually trying to take advantage of foreigners. In France, it's when foreigners try to deal with bureaucracy, especially non-French speakers.

morpeth Dec 30th 2016 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12139012)
And some non EU members as well ;)

Keep 'em coming. Don't forget the top-ups. Thanks :shades_smile:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cu0hUZZUkAE4Lvg.jpg

I wasn't in UK during the referendum and didn't look into the details too much but overall does UK pay out more than it receives from the EU ?

I am not sure how one could estimate with a high degree of certainty what the overall effects will be on the economy of Brexit, but is the pro-Brexit camp maintaining it will result directly and immediately in those extra funds going to NHS ?

I can understand for some the emotional appeal of Brexit, and I do think the London financial services sector may surprise everyone how well it will do- but for trade is the argument the UK will be able to negotiate trade agreements with third world countries that will take in more exports than a first world continent does ?

EMR Dec 30th 2016 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12139262)
I wasn't in UK during the referendum and didn't look into the details too much but overall does UK pay out more than it receives from the EU ?

I am not sure how one could estimate with a high degree of certainty what the overall effects will be on the economy of Brexit, but is the pro-Brexit camp maintaining it will result directly and immediately in those extra funds going to NHS ?

I can understand for some the emotional appeal of Brexit, and I do think the London financial services sector may surprise everyone how well it will do- but for trade is the argument the UK will be able to negotiate trade agreements with third world countries that will take in more exports than a first world continent does ?

The pro brexit camp is denying that any promise was made to divert EU contributions to the NHS.
It appears now that the UK will need to continue contributions if it wants to achieve tarrif free access to
the EU markets.
The UK government has also promised to maintain the levels of EU grants and funding.
Where these funds will come from no one knows.

SultanOfSwing Dec 30th 2016 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12138825)
At least I have a head, complete with working brain which is more than you can claim

You keep telling yourself that.

Red Eric Dec 30th 2016 8:54 pm

Yes it does, if you put blinkers on and look only at the membership fee and compare that to direct grants coming back from the EU. However, given that undeniable fact, even then the Brexit camp decided it looked even better if they gave the gross figure, before taking into account the UK's very controversial rebate or the grants received by the UK. That's how they arrived at the 350 million quid a week lie which has understandably been frowned at. Except by those who don't understand.

I posted a picture of them being so sure about the mattter they wrote it on the side of a bus and drove it around the UK, being photographed and televised every day as they did so. Couldn't get much surer than that, could you? Unless you were lying, of course.

Not really sure on that one morpeth. I expect one of the Lievers will probably be able to enlighten you, if they're not too busy trying to plot the downfall of the entire EU instead of coming up with ideas as to how the UK will cope outside of it. As I understand it so far, they seem to be cock-a-hoop about a couple of two-bit deals which haven't been completed yet because the UK isn't actually allowed to even start negotiating such deals until after they've exited the EU. Or not, as the case might be ;)

Dick Dasterdly Dec 30th 2016 11:22 pm

Volkswagen is changing its official language from German to English — Quartz

Interesting move, following on from Honda Japans intentions.

:cool:

Red Eric Dec 31st 2016 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12139440)
Volkswagen is changing its official language from German to English — Quartz

Interesting move, following on from Honda Japans intentions.

Now there's a coincidence, because, on the very same day, it was announced that China Plans To Ban Domestic Ivory Trade By 2018

morpeth Dec 31st 2016 9:22 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12139326)
Yes it does, if you put blinkers on and look only at the membership fee and compare that to direct grants coming back from the EU. However, given that undeniable fact, even then the Brexit camp decided it looked even better if they gave the gross figure, before taking into account the UK's very controversial rebate or the grants received by the UK. That's how they arrived at the 350 million quid a week lie which has understandably been frowned at. Except by those who don't understand.

I posted a picture of them being so sure about the mattter they wrote it on the side of a bus and drove it around the UK, being photographed and televised every day as they did so. Couldn't get much surer than that, could you? Unless you were lying, of course.

Not really sure on that one morpeth. I expect one of the Lievers will probably be able to enlighten you, if they're not too busy trying to plot the downfall of the entire EU instead of coming up with ideas as to how the UK will cope outside of it. As I understand it so far, they seem to be cock-a-hoop about a couple of two-bit deals which haven't been completed yet because the UK isn't actually allowed to even start negotiating such deals until after they've exited the EU. Or not, as the case might be ;)

I have no doubt that the financial services sector will continue to do well, and that some degree of trade of course remain with the EU. I just struggle with the idea that striking a better deal with some third world countries is more beneficial than worsening terms of trade with Europe.

If I were the PM I would jump on a plane and park myself in front of Trump Towers to start negotiations on a better deal between UK and USA. The UK for many years if not still the largest foreign investor in the US, and many US companies foreign operations were based in London before the UK joined the EU.

I haven't studied matter but it seems like a complete mess, and it will take years to sort out the details. So the UK is supposed to invoke Article 50, then negotiate ? Wouldn't that be a rather weak hand to negotiate with ? Or is the idea Europe does so much business with UK that UK would have upper hand ?
Or should UK wait and see if Le Penn wins next year ?

mikelincs Dec 31st 2016 9:27 am

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12139657)

I haven't studied matter but it seems like a complete mess, and it will take years to sort out the details. So the UK is supposed to invoke Article 50, then negotiate ? Wouldn't that be a rather weak hand to negotiate with ? Or is the idea Europe does so much business with UK that UK would have upper hand ?

Well yes, of course the UK can't start to negotiate until it has started the process to leave by triggering Article 50, and the leave process is supposed to take 2 years, although many commentators have said that it will take much longer.

EMR Dec 31st 2016 9:32 am

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12139657)
I have no doubt that the financial services sector will continue to do well, and that some degree of trade of course remain with the EU. I just struggle with the idea that striking a better deal with some third world countries is more beneficial than worsening terms of trade with Europe.

If I were the PM I would jump on a plane and park myself in front of Trump Towers to start negotiations on a better deal between UK and USA. The UK for many years if not still the largest foreign investor in the US, and many US companies foreign operations were based in London before the UK joined the EU.

One of the reasons why the Uk stock market is at record levels is because of the huge dollar earnings from the top 100 companies. To suggest that the UK is lagging when it comes to investment and activity in the US does show some lack of knowledge.
There will only be one winner in any economic discussion with Trump and it will not be the UK.
It is the extreme brexiters ,living in the past who believe that the UK can ductate terms to the EU.
They will be sadly dissapointed and resort to their usual tactic of blaming the EU rather than their ignorance when reality strikes.

morpeth Dec 31st 2016 9:33 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12139659)
Well yes, of course the UK can't start to negotiate until it has started the process to leave by triggering Article 50, and the leave process is supposed to take 2 years, although many commentators have said that it will take much longer.

Well of course they can negotiate whether formally, or if not informally.

2 years seems very optimistic, to work out all the details. I would guess at least 5, plus probably another 10 years of various issues arising through the courts about various issues.

morpeth Dec 31st 2016 9:43 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12139664)
One of the reasons why the Uk stock market is at record levels is because of the huge dollar earnings from the top 100 companies. To suggest that the UK is lagging when it comes to investment and activity in the US does show some lack of knowledge.
There will only be one winner in any economic discussion with Trump and it will not be the UK.
It is the extreme brexiters ,living in the past who believe that the UK can ductate terms to the EU.
They will be sadly dissapointed and resort to their usual tactic of blaming the EU rather than their ignorance when reality strikes.

Where did I suggest UK is "lagging when it does to investment and activity in the US". My point the opposite- for most of American history the UK was the biggest foreign investor in the USA, I wrote "if not still" because I haven't looked at the figures for the last several years of whether the UK is still the largest investor in the USA. How dollar earnings of companies listed on UK markets would directly indicate that the UK still is largest investor in the US ? It does indicate profits made on those investments, not the overall size of the investments.

I guess just a "what-if" guess, but I don't know necessarily why the UK couldn't come out better in a negotiation with the US than it's current terms of trade with US and anything that would offset potential trade losses with Europe would be helpful.

EMR Dec 31st 2016 9:48 am

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12139672)
Where did I suggest UK is "lagging when it does to investment and activity in the US". My point the opposite- for most of American history the UK was the biggest foreign investor in the USA, I wrote "if not still" because I haven't looked at the figures for the last several years of whether the UK is still the largest investor in the USA. How dollar earnings of companies listed on UK markets would directly indicate that the UK still is largest investor in the US ? It does indicate profits made on those investments, not the overall size of the investments.

I guess just a "what-if" guess, but I don't know necessarily why the UK couldn't come out better in a negotiation with the US than it's current terms of trade with US and anything that would offset potential trade losses with Europe would be helpful.

You will probably think that the biggest overseas investor in the US is China but it is still the UK , figures released this year.
I want investment in the UK, jobs created in the UK not UK investment creating jobs overseas.
If there are losses of trade with the EU it will be the brexit voter and UK government thaf will be responsible .

Dick Dasterdly Dec 31st 2016 11:14 am

BREXIT BOOST: FTSE firms grew by £227BILLION in 2016 as investors back British business

THE London stock market hit a record high last night as financial gains for the year rose to 14.4 per cent - allaying fears that Britain’s EU exit could have a negative impact on the market.

Dick Dasterdly Dec 31st 2016 11:27 am

The Eu becomes more and more like a replica of the failed USSR with every day that passes by taking on board it's hated traits

Advertising guru Alexander Segert said the EU elite were operating like the old Soviet politburo imposing centralized one-size-fits-all rules and values on everyone in the community.

He added: “They are trying to bring different mentalities and cultures under one roof and level them.

.... And people don’t like that.”