British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Bipat Dec 12th 2016 9:02 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12127215)
Thank you for the informative post.

Why couldn't Britain just accept the best applicants and turn down the rest ? Doesn't Canada or Australia make approvals based on the skill sets of certain applicants ? As you mention other categories, is family reunification a big percentage of the total ?

That is one of the reasons for the Brexit vote. Membership of the EU means 'free movement' within the EU of EU citizens.

Non-EU citizens apply for entry, have restrictions and need visas, (that also applies to applicants from European countries not members of the EU).

Those who voted for Brexit expect that all immigrants will be admitted by the same criteria, these rules can be adjusted according to need.

mikelincs Dec 12th 2016 9:08 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12127226)
That is one of the reasons for the Brexit vote. Membership of the EU means 'free movement' within the EU of EU citizens.

Non-EU citizens apply for entry, have restrictions and need visas, (that also applies to applicants from European countries not members of the EU).

Those who voted for Brexit expect that all immigrants will be admitted by the same criteria, these rules can be adjusted according to need.

The problem with that reasoning is that there were some 600000 immigrants in the last year, but only 300000 were from EU countries, so in order to get net migration down to under 100000, there will have to be a lot of restrictions put on the non EU migrants as well.

Bipat Dec 12th 2016 9:21 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12127228)
The problem with that reasoning is that there were some 600000 immigrants in the last year, but only 300000 were from EU countries, so in order to get net migration down to under 100000, there will have to be a lot of restrictions put on the non EU migrants as well.

Yes that is obvious, why not reductions from both groups if that is the aim.

Post Brexit, numbers, skills based criteria, can be changed from year to year according to the needs of the time. At the moment 'free movement' cannot be altered.

EMR Dec 12th 2016 9:31 am

Non-EU citizens apply for entry, have restrictions and need visas, (that also applies to applicants from a
European countries not members of the EU).

Bipat you must accept that many, far too many who voted brexit want to reduce ALL immigration, not just from the EU.
For them the brexit vote is a means to an end.
They will not stop complaining , targeting migrants, complaining about different cultures etc when we leave.
In fact as has been seen with the rise in racist attacks they may feel even more empowered to express their views.
For them a Patel will be just as unwelcome as a Pavel.

Bipat Dec 12th 2016 9:51 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12127249)
Bipat you must accept that many, far too many who voted brexit want to reduce ALL immigration, not just from the EU.
For them the brexit vote is a means to an end.
They will not stop complaining , targeting migrants, complaining about different cultures etc when we leave.
In fact as has been seen with the rise in racist attacks they may feel even more empowered to express their views.
For them a Patel will be just as unwelcome as a Pavel.

EMR, you have no actual knowledge of the reasons the majority of Brexit voters made their choice.

I have previously posted about the voting survey of those of Sub-Continent origins (you didn't understand the word 'Desi' vote) it was in the same proportions as all).

There have always been people against immigrants (the BNP party is almost extinct and others are just minority groups and yes, some joined UKIP).
Did you watch the BBC programme 'Black and British, we missed the first episodes as only just come to UK, but those we saw were very good).

Yes, such people resent any immigrants----they are a minority.

EMR Dec 12th 2016 10:11 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12127271)
EMR, you have no actual knowledge of the reasons the majority of Brexit voters made their choice.

I have previously posted about the voting survey of those of Sub-Continent origins (you didn't understand the word 'Desi' vote) it was in the same proportions as all).

There have always been people against immigrants (the BNP party is almost extinct and others are just minority groups and yes, some joined UKIP).
Did you watch the BBC programme 'Black and British, we missed the first episodes as only just come to UK, but those we saw were very good).

Yes, such people resent any immigrants----they are a minority.

Really, do you watch and listen to UK tv , radio, do you read UK newspapers.
Did you fol

If you want to get a cheer and round of applause from the audience on any UK tv prog , just mention immigration, not just EU immigration
Ukip got over 20 % at the last election, the right of the Conservative party is growing in influence.
Please take off your rose tinted specs.
The Desi vote is just a small part of the UK electorate.

DaveLovesDee Dec 12th 2016 10:43 am

Brexit: Britain's WTO status 'could be blocked over territorial disputes'

How's your blood pressure, Fred?

Bipat Dec 12th 2016 10:47 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12127282)
Really, do you watch and listen to UK tv , radio, do you read UK newspapers.
Did you fol

If you want to get a cheer and round of applause from the audience on any UK tv prog , just mention immigration, not just EU immigration
Ukip got over 20 % at the last election, the right of the Conservative party is growing in influence.
Please take off your rose tinted specs.
The Desi vote is just a small part of the UK electorate.

I do read UK newspapers. UKIP is not a totally anti-immigrant party.
I watched the last two 'question times' I had the opposite impression to yours. People in the audience who had voted Brexit said they were fed up with this description of them as anti-immigrant.

People are concerned about control of numbers and choice, that is not being 'racist' or "anti-immigrant".

(As I said previously --you need to examine your own views ("methinks you protest too much"), what I have always called 'church of England vicar syndrome' and I have personnally experienced that:lol:)

Fredbargate Dec 12th 2016 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12127296)

Mine's fine so long as I keep taking the tablets ;)

However you remainers left in a UK with no trade links are the ones who should be seeking help. :rofl:

However with the state of the NHS you are not likely to get it in time :lol:

EMR Dec 12th 2016 12:28 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12127301)
I watched the last two 'question times' I had the opposite impression to yours. People in the audience who had voted Brexit said they were fed up with this description of them as anti-immigrant.

People are concerned about control of numbers and choice, that is not being 'racist' or "anti-immigrant".

(As I said previously --you need to examine your own views ("methinks you protest too much"), what I have always called 'church of England vicar syndrome' and I have personnally experienced that:lol:)

Really hiw many editions of question time have you watched.
The last one was in a pro EU area, wher Farage was not able to spout his usual nonesene.
Why is UKIP targeting Northern constituencies with higher immigrant populations, EU and NON EU.
You obviously did not see the one where a teacher got a rousimg round of applayse for talking about the number of different nationalities at his school , or the fact that oeople could not get a doctirs appointment or seen at A&E.
If that is not anti migrant then what is.
You will see and hear such views on any discussion prog that even gets close to the subjects of brexut and immigration.

morpeth Dec 12th 2016 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12127301)

I don't know enough to judge not having been in the UK long enough in recent years, but is there any reliable polling data on this issue ? Or do some people perhaps have opposition to immigration but do not express it publicly ? I did have impression most Brexit voters were opposed to EU freedom of movement but if you looked beneath the surface many simply opposed to whatever immigration.

For example I have a bit of experience in Belgium. Some people opposed to non EU immigration but refrain from saying so in public, but with friends may express it. I am not sure if pollsters pick up much on that situation. I wonder if that is situation in UK ?

Red Eric Dec 12th 2016 1:27 pm

How do you know what those who voted for Brexit thought they were voting for on the matter of immigration? Or are you perhaps projecting your view and claiming it as the view of all those who voted to leave ;) ?

In any case, as has been pointed out recently, it won't be Leave voters who will be deciding future immigration policy and there is apparently a strong feeling in the Cabinet that EU migration could or should be treated differently to non EU immigration post Brexit. So not necessarily the same criteria, however hard you wish for it or keep posting that it will or should be the case.

Red Eric Dec 12th 2016 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12127215)
Thank you for the informative post.

Why couldn't Britain just accept the best applicants and turn down the rest ? Doesn't Canada or Australia make approvals based on the skill sets of certain applicants ? As you mention other categories, is family reunification a big percentage of the total ?

One of the largest categories is students. They're worth a huge amount to the UK's GDP. Not all of them are potential future Nobel Prize winners.

Another category is British citizens, who can't be refused entry but nevertheless are counted in the migration figures, regardless of their worth to the nation. The figure for 2015 was 83,000.

Then there are asylum seekers - admittedly down to a trickle nowadays (not that you'd know it from the hysterics generated by their presence :rolleyes:) - but you don't get to pick and choose whether to admit them permanently on the basis of the contribution they can make to society.

That sort of thing.

Fredbargate Dec 12th 2016 1:42 pm

Anyone who does not agree is a racist and that includes the EU itself.

Bipat Dec 12th 2016 2:01 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12127419)
How do you know what those who voted for Brexit thought they were voting for on the matter of immigration? Or are you perhaps projecting your view and claiming it as the view of all those who voted to leave ;) ?

In any case, as has been pointed out recently, it won't be Leave voters who will be deciding future immigration policy and there is apparently a strong feeling in the Cabinet that EU migration could or should be treated differently to non EU immigration post Brexit. So not necessarily the same criteria, however hard you wish for it or keep posting that it will or should be the case.

I don't know what all of them thought, nobody knows what all of them thought.