British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Dec 7th 2016 7:33 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12123813)
please don't assume my gender identity:sneaky: Today I would like to identify as a trans black female going by the name of rusty

Thank you

Given your history, trans, female and black are the last thing you coukd be.
Not one of those desrcriptions could be attributed to you.

Bipat Dec 7th 2016 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12123825)
Do try reading the link properly please. Here's the first paragraph.

What does the first nine words say? I've made them bold for you.

Brexit and leaving would mean the end of FREE movement of EU migrants not necessarily a reduction in numbers, the aim would be the admission of those with necessary skills regardless of whether they were from EU or non-EU.

As I said the reduction of overall numbers is a different issue. The numbers admitted can be changed according to needs, unlike the compulsion of 'free movement'.

DaveLovesDee Dec 7th 2016 7:48 pm

Parliament backs triggering Brexit by end of March by majority of 372

Red Eric Dec 7th 2016 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12123816)
It is not clear from the report whether they are considering the effects of cutting the overall number of migrants or free movement of EU migrants. They are separate issues.

I don't think either Jonathan Portes or the NIESR in general subscribe to your view that there is a static number of immigrants, only the proportions of which change according to how many EU migrants exercise their freedom of movement rights ;). So their forecasts are based on the premise that the government, in limiting EU migration, will be reducing overall migration (because, presumably, they already have all the control they could wish for on non EU immigration).

And neither, clearly, having done the research, do they subscribe to la mancha's rather rigid views about the size of the labour pool and its effect on wages.

Red Eric Dec 7th 2016 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12123861)
Brexit and leaving would mean the end of FREE movement of EU migrants not necessarily a reduction in numbers,...

:blink: Are you sure that's what Brexiters voted for???

DaveLovesDee Dec 7th 2016 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12123861)
Brexit and leaving would mean the end of FREE movement of EU migrants not necessarily a reduction in numbers, the aim would be the admission of those with necessary skills regardless of whether they were from EU or non-EU.

As I said the reduction of overall numbers is a different issue. The numbers admitted can be changed according to needs, unlike the compulsion of 'free movement'.

The article said a reduction in migration from the EU, which would happen if free movement ended purely because some don't want to apply for visas, while others would have their application rejected for various (and not always sensible) reasons.

Bipat Dec 7th 2016 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12123886)
The article said a reduction in migration from the EU, which would happen if free movement ended purely because some don't want to apply for visas, while others would have their application rejected for various (and not always sensible) reasons.

I suppose those reasons also apply to potential non-EU migrants?

Why do you think Post -Brexit there would be a difference between the two groups in the capability of filling in a visa form and why do you think the applications of EU migrants would be treated in a less "sensible" way than non-EU migrants?

DaveLovesDee Dec 7th 2016 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12123899)
I suppose those reasons also apply to potential non-EU migrants?

But those reasons already factor into the numbers of successful non-EU applications.

Why do you think Post -Brexit there would be a difference between the two groups in the capability of filling in a visa form
I didn't say a difference between the two groups, I said a difference between pre-Brexit and post-Brexit EU nationals.

and why do you think the applications of EU migrants would be treated in a less "sensible" way than non-EU migrants?
I didn't say that either. I suggested that some EU national visa applications would be refused for non-sensible reasons. In the same way that some non-EU applications are refused for non-sensible reasons.

Bipat Dec 7th 2016 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12123908)
But those reasons already factor into the numbers of successful non-EU applications.

I didn't say a difference between the two groups, I said a difference between pre-Brexit and post-Brexit EU nationals.

I didn't say that either. I suggested that some EU national visa applications would be refused for non-sensible reasons. In the same way that some non-EU applications are refused for non-sensible reasons.

So what is the problem? Post Brexit the numbers and skills will be according to need and can change if necessary. If EU or Non-EU people don't wish to fill in visa forms or don't have the necessary skills they will not be coming to the UK!! The proportions of EU and non-EU migrants will vary from time to time it is unlikely to be static.

EMR Dec 7th 2016 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12123876)
:blink: Are you sure that's what Brexiters voted for???

Its certainly not what Teresa May is promising with a damatic reduction in TOTAL numbers of all immigrants where ever they come from.
Of course that will not happen..

Dick Dasterdly Dec 7th 2016 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12123920)
So what is the problem? Post Brexit the numbers and skills will be according to need and can change if necessary. If EU or Non-EU people don't wish to fill in visa forms or don't have the necessary skills they will not be coming to the UK!! The proportions of EU and non-EU migrants will vary from time to time it is unlikely to be static.

:goodpost:

TGA Dec 8th 2016 4:41 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12123864)

whoop whoop :thumbsup:

Red Eric Dec 8th 2016 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12123920)
Post Brexit the numbers and skills will be according to need and can change if necessary. If EU or Non-EU people don't wish to fill in visa forms or don't have the necessary skills they will not be coming to the UK!!

Could you give us a link to the agreement that has been signed between the UK and the EU to that effect?

mikelincs Dec 8th 2016 7:39 am

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12124134)

But the vote isn't binding, that will occur once the Supreme Court has given it's ruling, then there may well have to be a further vote, and this one WILL be binding.

EMR Dec 8th 2016 7:42 am

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12124134)

Your lack of knowledge is evident yet again.
It is not binding on the government which is what the case in the supreme court is all about.

Lets see just how much detail of the governments negotistiong position it sets out.
That is what the vote was for..