British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Dec 5th 2016 10:36 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12121638)
It will make Brexit more certain.

It will increase the opportunities for Britain "outside" the EU (can you be outside something that no longer exists? :unsure:)

There are probably other good reasons, but those two spring immediately to mind.

Our ultras have been forcasting the iminent collapse of the Euro for years, no sign of it happening. Economic activity rising in the Eurozone.
Now we have the same forcasts for the EU.
Given that brexit will take years the idea of the EU collapsing is just as likey as their Euro pronouncements
.Two votes, one for a pro EU president and the other against an unpopular prime minister..

Red Eric Dec 5th 2016 11:33 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12121463)
Genuine question. Apart from the bullshit rhetoric about dictatorial and stuff, why are you so keen for the EU to fail? Is leaving not enough?

It will increase the opportunities for Britain "outside" the EU (can you be outside something that no longer exists? :unsure:)

There are probably other good reasons, but those two spring immediately to mind.

Surely you can't get any more certain than "Brexit means Brexit". Can you?

The second point's interesting, though, given how insistent the Leave campaigners were that a whole world of opportunites abounded outside the EU. They never actually mentioned that the EU would need to crumble apart first in order to open up that possibility.

I think the remaining nations will be happy enough to stick with what they've got for the time being, though. Until or unless the UK gets a "have cake and eat it" deal.

Dick Dasterdly Dec 5th 2016 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12121671)
The second point's interesting, though, given how insistent the Leave campaigners were that a whole world of opportunites abounded outside the EU. They never actually mentioned that the EU would need to crumble apart first in order to open up that possibility.

Precisely who said that ? :confused:

The Global opportunities are there regardless of the fact that the Eu is crumbling !

Though the fact that the Eu is crumbling due to its numerous shortcomings could well be regarded as another reason for getting out, rather than continuing to throw good money after bad.

:cool:

DaveLovesDee Dec 5th 2016 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12122185)
Precisely who said that ? :confused:

The Global opportunities are there regardless of the fact that the Eu is crumbling !

Though the fact that the Eu is crumbling due to its numerous shortcomings could well be regarded as another reason for getting out, rather than continuing to throw good money after bad.

:cool:

The EU isn't crumbling.

Dick Dasterdly Dec 5th 2016 11:44 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12122208)
The EU isn't crumbling.

"Existential crisis", Junkers

"Serious crisis", Merkel.

As if that isn't bad enough, old Junkie has today predicted another war !

"The Brussels chief said today that the DISINTEGRATION OF THE EURO PROJECT would herald a return to the “tragic history” of a Europe at war.
In a series of sensationalist remarks he said the continent was living through dangerous times due to a rise in opposition to the EU."

Obviously it doesn't cross his tiny mind that continuing catastrophic and mindless failed Eu policies are the main reason for the rise in opposition to the Eu and possible resultant risks. :cool:

DaveLovesDee Dec 6th 2016 12:32 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12122271)
"Existential crisis", Junkers

EU State of the Union address

Our European Union is, at least in part, in an existential crisis.
Note the 'in part'. And the context.

"Serious crisis", Merkel.
When did she say this, and in what context?

As if that isn't bad enough, old Junkie has today predicted another war !

"The Brussels chief said today that the DISINTEGRATION OF THE EURO PROJECT would herald a return to the “tragic history” of a Europe at war.
In a series of sensationalist remarks he said the continent was living through dangerous times due to a rise in opposition to the EU."

Obviously it doesn't cross his tiny mind that continuing catastrophic and mindless failed Eu policies are the main reason for the rise in opposition to the Eu and possible resultant risks. :cool:
Actually, the media reporting bollocks about the EU, and people believing it without actually checking whether it's accurate (what do you expect when the media are preaching what people already believe) is the main reason for the rise in opposition to the EU. How many stories of alleged EU corruption have you posted that we've proved were corruption by the recepient of EU funds, not by the EU itself.

And the dismissing of any positive story about the EU as propaganda.

Scamp Dec 6th 2016 2:42 am

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12121508)
Enough for what?

Sigh. What's the point.

Brexit is happening though. I guess you mean it will be a full / 'hard' Brexit rather than anything compromised like Norway etc?

If Britain isn't in the EU how can the EU limit Britain's opportunities? If the EU disbanded every country would fight for themselves and it could be far more competitive? (That's just supposing...but you know).

I think the savagery of some to chase after something they don't believe in is a bit odd. I don't see great positives in the UK leaving the EU and the EU collapsing over just the UK leaving the EU.
Which makes it all look a bit like winning a fight and knocking the bloke out, but then stamping on his head and getting others to join in to make sure he's dead rather than just unconscious.

Pulaski Dec 6th 2016 2:57 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12122373)
.... If Britain isn't in the EU how can the EU limit Britain's opportunities? .....

By slapping tariffs on British products, restricting British companies from doing business in the EU, notably British banks, etc. ....

Scamp Dec 6th 2016 3:18 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12122384)
By slapping tariffs on British products, restricting British companies from doing business in the EU, notably British banks, etc. ....

But hang on, I thought Britain would thrive without the shackles of the EU? This huge world that we can trade with?

If the EU collapsed what would stop Germany (for example) creating freezones for banks and making their tarriffs, rates and barriers the lowest / cheapest and making the UK suffer.

It sounds to me like some people who voted to leave are keen for the EU to fail in general and justify it with reasons that they would probably attribute to 'remoaners' in the run up.

TGA Dec 6th 2016 4:43 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12122391)
But hang on, I thought Britain would thrive without the shackles of the EU? This huge world that we can trade with?

If the EU collapsed what would stop Germany (for example) creating freezones for banks and making their tarriffs, rates and barriers the lowest / cheapest and making the UK suffer.

It sounds to me like some people who voted to leave are keen for the EU to fail in general and justify it with reasons that they would probably attribute to 'remoaners' in the run up.

Unlike the remoaners, who have demonstrated on here a desire to see a free UK fall on its face ,brexiters would love to see a thriving "Europe"
have a look at this lot.
Love the goon at 3:38

TGA Dec 6th 2016 5:21 am

Nigel Farage on shortlist for Time magazine's person of the year award.

He gets my vote!!
Nigel Farage on shortlist for Time magazine's person of the year award

I can't think of anyone more deserving.

Scamp Dec 6th 2016 5:47 am

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12122409)
Unlike the remoaners, who have demonstrated on here a desire to see a free UK fall on its face ,brexiters would love to see a thriving "Europe"
have a look at this lot.
Love the goon at 3:38
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh195WgWGvU

I don't want to see the UK fail post Brexit. Why would I want that? I want to move back to the UK in the not too distant future.

I don't believe that leaving the EU is good and I do worry that the UK will struggle in areas and I don't think it's the right decision but want the UK to fail? No.

Which is perhaps why I struggle to see why you (the proverbial) would want the EU to fail?

TGA Dec 6th 2016 5:52 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12122441)
I don't want to see the UK fail post Brexit. Why would I want that? I want to move back to the UK in the not too distant future.

I don't believe that leaving the EU is good and I do worry that the UK will struggle in areas and I don't think it's the right decision but want the UK to fail? No.

Which is perhaps why I struggle to see why you (the proverbial) would want the EU to fail?

I want Europe to thrive.

Scamp Dec 6th 2016 5:55 am

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12122447)
I want Europe to thrive.

I'll take that as a semi sensible answer in line with your views.

Italy looks like it's wobbling, but Austria appears to have shot down brexit/Trump type movement.

Next year is a big year for Europe with French and German elections (and others I think).

Red Eric Dec 6th 2016 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12122449)
Italy looks like it's wobbling...

Only according to the usual crowd. Fact is, Renzi lost his referendum (as had been widely predicted) and that was due to qualms on all sides about the proposals. There may have been an element of it having been turned into a popularity vote on him personally but the 2 "anti-establishment" parties don't have majority support, despite the capital that's being made of this by the far right in, and more particularly outside, Italy. Even if it precipitated an election, which is not the strongest of several possibilities at the moment, neither would come out of it with a workable mandate. And only one of them is actually anti-EU.

So turning that into "this was a vote against the EU" is all a bit far-fetched (not that you're doing that Scamp, I know. It's the others ;))