British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Fredbargate Nov 26th 2016 3:11 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12115051)
What challenges to the result?

The very next post

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12115069)

That is such a narrow minded argument. The UK decided to join the EU decades ago. How dare you challenge it? Why show such disdain for a democratic decision? And if it is OK to challenge democratic decisions why isn't OK to challenge the referendum? I see no reason not to challenge the referendum. Especially a referendum that was based on lies. Why do the British submit to that like an old donkey on its way to the butcher?

I think that ones everything is on the table a new referendum or election is in order. That wouldn't be undemocratic or unfair or disrespectful. It would give people the opportunity to really decide based on facts not emotions.

jimenato Nov 26th 2016 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12115117)
The very next post

...but that post hadn't been made when you said it. ;)

It was a good question.

EMR Nov 26th 2016 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12115107)
The EU Constitution!!!

The EU does not have a constitution as such because it is not a nation state.
There are a succession of treaties Lisbon being one example.
No wonder people voted brexit when there is obviously such a lack of knowledge.

lutonlad Nov 26th 2016 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12115128)
The EU does not have a constitution because it is not a nation state.

Oxford English:

Constitution: A body of fundamental principles or established precedents according to which a state or other organization is acknowledged to be governed.

I consider your remark to be crass.
You know exactly what the post in question meant.

More importantly, you infer that unless people are EU nerds, they are not qualified to vote.

EMR Nov 26th 2016 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 12115148)
Oxford English:

Constitution: A body of fundamental principles or established precedents according to which a state or other organization is acknowledged to be governed.

I consider your remark to be crass.
You know exactly what the post in question meant.

More importantly, you infer that unless people are EU nerds, they are not qualified to vote.

The move towards an EU constitution was replaced by the Lisbon Treaty.
The vote was won by the lies put out by the brexit campaign ranging from the ukip inspired racism to the promises of more money for the NHS.
Had it been purely on sovereignty ,the economy we would still be members.
The vox pop during and post the vote confirms that.
Find a pro brexit headline in the pro brexit popular press thst actually discussed factually and in detail the treaties the UK signed up to.
No far bettet to print the lies we have become all to familiar with.

Bipat Nov 26th 2016 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12115128)
The EU does not have a constitution as such because it is not a nation state.
There are a succession of treaties Lisbon being one example.

A quick guide for you. The actual document is about 25 pages long. Are you saying that you have not read it? No wonder you voted to Remain.

(Gisela Stewart was involved in the drawing up.)

BBC NEWS | Europe | What the EU constitution says

EMR Nov 26th 2016 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12115154)
A quick guide for you. The actual document is about 25 pages long. Are you saying that you have not read it? No wonder you voted to Remain.

(Gisela Stewart was involved in the drawing up.)

BBC NEWS | Europe | What the EU constitution says

The draft EU constitution was replaced by the Lisbon Treaty.
The constitution was rejected by a referendum in France in 2005, your link is 2004.
It may seem that we are dancing in the tip of a needle but facts, real facts were sadly absent from both sides of the referendum debate.
Why because they are not of any real interest to most of the electorate.

Fredbargate Nov 26th 2016 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12115124)
...but that post hadn't been made when you said it. ;)

It was a good question.

Very observant

But there are many similar posts preceding mine going back months

Red Eric Nov 26th 2016 6:10 pm

You said

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12115031)
But the many remain posters here do not wish to accept the result of the referendum hence the support shown for various challenges to that result

I'm not aware of any challenges to the result of the referendum and although there may be one or two Remainers who say they'd support a re-run, most of us are saying no such thing.

I presume we are allowed to discuss things like the court challenge to Mayl's proposal to bypass Parliament in the triggering of Article 50 though, arent we? Or would you rather we just all kept quiet, pretended it wasn't happening and joined in the posting of endless links to the few scraps of supposedly good news being wildly applauded by Leavers?

jimenato Nov 26th 2016 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12115214)
You said

I'm not aware of any challenges to the result of the referendum and although there may be one or two Remainers who say they'd support a re-run, most of us are saying no such thing.

I presume we are allowed to discuss things like the court challenge to Mayl's proposal to bypass Parliament in the triggering of Article 50 though, arent we? Or would you rather we just all kept quiet, pretended it wasn't happening and joined in the posting of endless links to the few scraps of supposedly good news being wildly applauded by Leavers?

That's not challenging the result though. ( I know you know that)

Fredbargate Nov 26th 2016 8:13 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12115214)
You said

You can discuss away to your hearts content

But a re-run would be a challenge to the original result and shows a lack of acceptance to that result which takes us back to my original post

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12114703)
There is a difference between understanding and accepting

EMR Nov 26th 2016 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12115276)

But a re-run would be a challenge to the original result and shows a lack of acceptance to that result which takes us back to my original post

Who is proposing a re run, are you so unsure of the brexit case that you think it will collapse when subjected to parliamentary scrutiny?

Dick Dasterdly Nov 26th 2016 9:51 pm

Precisely. :cool:

DaveLovesDee Nov 26th 2016 10:31 pm

Who suggested a re-run?

Dick Dasterdly Nov 26th 2016 10:44 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12115335)
Who suggested a re-run?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...ommons-website

To that lot you can add a number of notorious failed politicians and a number of BE members.