British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Nov 18th 2016 6:44 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12108215)
Funny, a lot of stuff in the daily express seems to not be covered elsewhere either. I wonder why?

Because the Express knows it sad ,ageing declining readership all to well.

EMR Nov 18th 2016 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12107956)
You didn't read the posts you didn't read the link. The discussion was about those with knowledge and experience but no paper qualifications, such as chefs. These people are not getting work visas. EU migrants do not have these restrictions.

You do not understand or refuse to accept it that tthe UK government has said and a large percentage of those who voted brexit want to reduce all immigration including the highly skilled to just a few tens thousands year.
EU and non EU.
Now do you understand.
Its what you voted for even if you did not agree with it.

Assanah Nov 18th 2016 6:59 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12107962)
You are forgetting history. They are hardly likely to open the visa door wide for the British to live there. The occupation is within living memory!! Hardly logical to invite all and sundry back in.
There are longer visas for those who retire or have lived there long term. After a certain length of continuous residence Indian citizenship can be applied for.

Interesting that you only see Indian suffering and colonial past but you can't see what the EU is - a successful attempt at building trust between old enemies. There were so many wars and injustices between Europeans. There were lot of grievances which have been overcome by the EU. So if Indians want unlimited right to immigration where ever they will have to work for it, build trust and lasting friendship. That is the real reason why Brexit is so sad. It shows that the British never have forgiven, they never trusted. They will not trust Indians either - no chance.

Red Eric Nov 18th 2016 7:25 am

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12108169)
This from order-order. It doesn't seem to be covered much elsewhere for some reason.

Almost three-quarters of British bankers think London will still be the financial centre of Europe in five years’ time. The US financial services firm Synechron surveyed executives at British banks and found that 72% were optimistic. Add the fact that it would cost banks some £50,000 per employee to relocate staff away from London to the potential slashing of red tape after Brexit, bankers have decided to stick around. Guess how the media are covering this story?

I wonder if the bankers think that because they think that Brexit doesn't mean Brexit? Or that Brexit means Brexit but not as some think it. Or because they don't think that Brexit will be completed in 5 years (they should have been asked supplementary questions about 10 and 20 years to try to sort that one out ;)).

Red Eric Nov 18th 2016 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12107894)
https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...tip-trade-deal

"Transatlantic trade deal 'not realistic' under Trump, German official says."

Probably all for the best in view of the massive public opposition right across the board, left, right and centre.

Every cloud has a silver lining.

Bipat Nov 18th 2016 8:09 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12108222)
You do not understand or refuse to accept it that tthe UK government has said and a large percentage of those who voted brexit want to reduce all immigration including the highly skilled to just a few tens thousands year.
EU and non EU.
Now do you understand.
Its what you voted for even if you did not agree with it.

We were discussing the situation as it is now. You failed to understand that!
Yes all immigration will be reduced but hopefully Post Brexit the rules of entry will be the same for all nationalities.

EMR Nov 18th 2016 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12108232)
I wonder if the bankers think that because they think that Brexit doesn't mean Brexit? Or that Brexit means Brexit but not as some think it. Or because they don't think that Brexit will be completed in 5 years (they should have been asked supplementary questions about 10 and 20 years to try to sort that one out ;)).

One thing we can be sure of, " Brexit will mean Brexit but not as some think it should be .

Bipat Nov 18th 2016 8:18 am

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12108224)
Interesting that you only see Indian suffering and colonial past but you can't see what the EU is - a successful attempt at building trust between old enemies. There were so many wars and injustices between Europeans. There were lot of grievances which have been overcome by the EU. So if Indians want unlimited right to immigration where ever they will have to work for it, build trust and lasting friendship. That is the real reason why Brexit is so sad. It shows that the British never have forgiven, they never trusted. They will not trust Indians either - no chance.

India would not expect unlimited immigration just equal rules with other nationalities. There is friendship and trust between India and UK.
(The question is whether India trusts the UK not the other way round!)

The British have forgiven the past regarding Europe but they wish to be in control of their own Justice system and immigration rules.

EMR Nov 18th 2016 8:19 am

[QUOTE=Bipat;12108249]We were discussing the situation as it is now. You failed to understand that!
Yes all immigration will be reduced but hopefully Post Brexit the rules of entry will be the same for all nationalities.[/QUOTE

88000 skilled and quakified non EU migrants is to the benefit of the UK. That is the situation now.
95% of new jobs in an economy where unemplyment fell went to thise not born in the UK
What are you complaining about.
The inequality you think exists is the result of UK law, that pre dates EU memberxhip why do you think it will change.
The equality you seek will negativey affect anyone who wants to enter the UK. unless you are wealthy enough.
Its what you voted for..

GeniB Nov 18th 2016 8:28 am

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12108169)
This from order-order. It doesn't seem to be covered much elsewhere for some reason.

Not what the new Lord Mayor of London said at his banquet .He was prepared to lose many of the facilities of the city of London to other countries:confused:

GeniB Nov 18th 2016 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12107245)
I have always thought Mrs May had dreadful 'fashion sense'--that black and yellow coat?? However, what did you expect her to wear to a banquet to illustrate her care for the "poor and dispossessed"---a patched skirt and second hand cardigan???:lol:

Actually YES. In the sense that she could have worn something professional and sober to reflect the times and the worries she and her government have inflicted on the citizens of the uk. Instead she chose to look like the scarlet woman(literally) , the centre of attention to vie with the robes of the mayor perhaps? The slit up the back? really?

People are NOT celebrating wildly in the UK right now. They are desperately concerned about the future. it was inappropriate at best. and shockingly rubbing people's nose's in her indifference at worst.

GeniB Nov 18th 2016 9:00 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12107685)
I think in the main that's in response to the whooping it up about the fact that some of the news coming out at this stage appears to contradict what was said might happen prior to the referendum.

Not sure about the orgasms - just pointing out that there have already been negative effects attributable to the referendum result and that besides, Brexit hasn't actually happened yet.

I'm very pleased to hear that. It doesn't do the Leave camp any credit whatsoever because it sounds to me as though those who are wishing otherwise do so a) out of spite and b) out of a fear of the UK being out on its own. If Leavers say the UK can do just fine out of the EU because it can find as many other trading partners as it needs to make up the deficit resulting from Brexit, great - let's get on with it. But wishing the EU to splinter so the UK can end up trading the same amounts with all its ex partners and trashing the whole of the rest of the project in the process and all the cooperation on so many fronts that go with it is daft. There's a great deal worth building on and improving left in this arrangement from the point of view of the other EU nations and if the UK has decided it wants no part of that it's mainly their loss in my opinion.

I think Dick is perhaps the most vociferous in the condemnation of the EU for reason's which escape me. He has never actually said where he gets his venomous loathing of the EU from exactly? One almost believes they came over in a body and beat him up in his sleep or something.!

He does profess an intimate knowledge of the inner workings of the procedures in Brussels that even I am unaware of after 30+ yrs of living and working within the EU. What I am aware of is the enormous amount of good this co-operation of countries has wrought. True is't not perfect.True there is some corruption. (where isn' there) but I can see tangible improvements to countries that were almost third world 25 yrs ago. I am also seeing that in area's in the UK that have been shamefully neglected, thanks to EU money and UK money combined. Keeping people out,keeping the people down does not improve a country
If you want to follow this hardened elitist approach , the none inclusive policies of the USA be honest about it.if you want to be racist and bigoted Go and look at middle America. see the abject poverty and illiterate natives that that attitude has brought to a country that claims to be the best in the world.

DaveLovesDee Nov 18th 2016 9:06 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12108251)
India would not expect unlimited immigration just equal rules with other nationalities.

Yet you seem happy enough that the wealthy and some executives got easier entry to the UK, while most Indians haven't.

Are you looking for equal immigration rules for the wealthy of every nationality, or for immigration rules for all Indians equal to those for all other nationalities?

There is friendship and trust between India and UK.

(The question is whether India trusts the UK not the other way round!)
Which is it?

The British have forgiven the past regarding Europe but they wish to be in control of their own Justice system and immigration rules.
And they were/are.

The UK legal system.

How many civil and criminal cases were listed in UK courts in the last 10 years?

How many of these went on the the High Court? I suspect a very low percentage.

How many of these High Court cases went on to the Supreme Court? Again, I would suggest a low percentage.

How many Supreme Court cases went to the European Court of Justice? Once more, I suggest a low percentage.
The ECJ is not the default judicial system in the UK, and as I've shown, there are a number of steps to take (and a considerable amount of time and money) before a case reaches the ECJ.

Immigration.

The UK is part of what's known as the Common Travel Area, along with Ireland. This means that anyone arriving an airport or sea port in the CTA (the CTA has no land border with any non-CTA countries) from outside the CTA goes through passport control in either the UK or Ireland (though Fred says he wasn't checked entering Ireland by ferry from France).

Dublin airport immigration (never been to any other Irish air/sea port) even checks flights from the UK (I've heard Rosslare checks all ferry passengers too) . The UK doesn't always do the same for flights from Ireland, and that's down to the UK, not the EU.

The UK and Ireland are not members of the Schengen area
Any failing in the UK immigration system is down to the UK.

DaveLovesDee Nov 18th 2016 9:15 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12108265)
Go and look at middle America. see the abject poverty and illiterate natives that that attitude has brought to a country that claims to be the best in the world.

:goodpost:

A teacher friend in the U.S. posted an article about the state government of Oklahoma moving to a four-day school week some time ago. Teachers get to do the stuff most of them do at weekends (grading, lesson plans, etc) on Fridays.

jimenato Nov 18th 2016 9:46 am

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12108259)
Actually YES. In the sense that she could have worn something professional and sober to reflect the times and the worries she and her government have inflicted on the citizens of the uk. Instead she chose to look like the scarlet woman(literally) , the centre of attention to vie with the robes of the mayor perhaps? The slit up the back? really?

People are NOT celebrating wildly in the UK right now. They are desperately concerned about the future. it was inappropriate at best. and shockingly rubbing people's nose's in her indifference at worst.

If by 'times and the worries she and her government have inflicted on the citizens of the uk' you mean Brexit, it was the Leave vote that did that - the government is only implementing it.

I have no idea what a government of a different colour would have done with that result but to dump all this at the door of this government is a little unfair.