British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Jul 7th 2016 8:01 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 11996114)
I'm not sure how it is now but when I applied (6 years ago), people from the UK, NZ, Aus, etc didn't have to sit the IELTS test - you simply got 15 points for being from an English speaking country. But if you wanted (or in my case because of my age, needed) 25 points then you had to sit and score top marks in the IELTS test. IMO, the points system is a great way to plug changing skills shortages while at the same time putting first the interests of those who are already in the country. Britain ditched all serious efforts at developing a good points system firstly because it was seen as too hard and secondly those charged with developing and enforcing strong immigration controls (Home Office civil servants) simply do/did not have their hearts in it. And (besides the situation brought about by free mov0ement in the EU), that last point is largely why Cameron has been unable to reduce immigration down to the tens of thousands.

188,000 legal non EU migrants arrived in the UK in the last 12 months of figures.
The UK has some of the tightest entry conditions in tbe world.
How do you propose to reduce this number to a few tens thousands.?

Bipat Jul 7th 2016 9:10 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 11996119)
188,000 legal non EU migrants arrived in the UK in the last 12 months of figures.
The UK has some of the tightest entry conditions in tbe world.
How do you propose to reduce this number to a few tens thousands.?

Can be reduced by changing the visa and immigration rules!!

That figure given in the Tory manifesto was an ambition rather than an actual pledge. It doesn't state how many tens of thousands.

One point-- was 'aim to cap skilled level of non-EU migration at 20,700',
Obviously if skills are needed this figure should be exceeded.

Students are another question, but UK universities need the funding from overseas students.

(The manifesto also had points about EU migrants which also didn't happen.)

EMR Jul 7th 2016 9:19 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 11996150)
Can be reduced by changing the visa and immigration rules!!

That figure given in the Tory manifesto was an ambition rather than an actual pledge. It doesn't state how many tens of thousands.

One point-- was 'aim to cap skilled level of non-EU migration at 20,700',
Obviously if skills are needed this figure should be exceeded.

Students are another question, but UK universities need the funding from overseas students.

(The manifesto also had points about EU migrants which also didn't happen.)


Bipat it may have been jn the Tory manufesto but it is also now brexit policy.
Brexit was an all party campaign including Labour supporters.

The great british tabloid reading public does not as do we realise such a target would severely affect the demands of the Uk labour market.
It is also impossible without tne introduction of draconian measures that no right minded person would support.

My proposal is that the non EU arrangements should continue and that as part if a free trade agreement EU migrants must have a job before arriving in the UK.
Employers who pay below the living wage should be heavily fined. .
Employers should not as now be able to take advantage of migrant workers.

Assanah Jul 7th 2016 9:31 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 
First consultation of companies in Germany about the Brexit is done. Here are the results: 35% of German companies with subsidiaries in the UK are planning to cut investment, 26% are planning to make people redundant. On the other hand 21 % of subisdiaries of British companies in Germany want to expand, and invest more and 25 % want to hire more people.
So, maybe you guys don't really need to worry about immigration anymore?

amideislas Jul 7th 2016 9:50 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Over 100,000 Brits' flood Berlin job site after Brexit vote

lutonlad Jul 7th 2016 12:04 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 11996155)
Bipat it may have been jn the Tory manufesto but it is also now brexit policy.
Brexit was an all party campaign including Labour supporters.

The great british tabloid reading public does not as do we realise such a target would severely affect the demands of the Uk labour market.
It is also impossible without tne introduction of draconian measures that no right minded person would support.

My proposal is that the non EU arrangements should continue and that as part if a free trade agreement EU migrants must have a job before arriving in the UK.
Employers who pay below the living wage should be heavily fined. .
Employers should not as now be able to take advantage of migrant workers.

If Cameron had come back with an agreement the same as your proposal, the UK would have voted to remain. The bit about EU migrants having to have a job would have to be endorsed by prospective employers along necessary monitoring.

GeniB Jul 7th 2016 12:40 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11996165)



That's exactly what I predicted would happen several pages back. The well qualified Brits would leave in the event of a Brexit. As I said the 'flood' goes both ways. We lose citizens almost as fast as we gain immigrants

la mancha Jul 7th 2016 1:03 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 11996165)

100,000 Brits? Is that a fact?

amideislas Jul 7th 2016 1:07 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Readers explain why they are rushing for dual-nationality EU passports | Politics | The Guardian

DaveLovesDee Jul 7th 2016 1:10 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 11996248)
If Cameron had come back with an agreement the same as your proposal, the UK would have voted to remain. The bit about EU migrants having to have a job would have to be endorsed by prospective employers along necessary monitoring.

EU nationals in the UK already have to be employed/self-employed/student/self-sufficient to legally reside in the UK, and have to have worked for a minimum period to be able to claim unemployment benefits (1 year, I think).

Those are UK-imposed immigration rules.

amideislas Jul 7th 2016 1:14 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 11996291)
EU nationals in the UK already have to be employed/self-employed/student/self-sufficient to legally reside in the UK, and have to have worked for a minimum period to be able to claim unemployment benefits (1 year, I think).

Those are UK-imposed immigration rules.

That's pretty much the same rules everywhere (you have to prove self-sufficiency to obtain legal residence). EU and beyond. And if for any reason it's not that way in the UK, it still has nothing to do with the EU.

la mancha Jul 7th 2016 1:26 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 11996291)
EU nationals in the UK already have to be employed/self-employed/student/self-sufficient to legally reside in the UK, and have to have worked for a minimum period to be able to claim unemployment benefits (1 year, I think).

Those are UK-imposed immigration rules.

Lutonlad was answering EMR who suggested that EU migrant workers should have a job before they arrive in the UK. I would have voted to stay with that proposal, most definitely.

DaveLovesDee Jul 7th 2016 1:40 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 11996307)
Lutonlad was answering EMR who suggested that EU migrant workers should have a job before they arrive in the UK. I would have voted to stay with that proposal, most definitely.

What about self-employed, self-sufficient or student?

la mancha Jul 7th 2016 2:00 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 11996319)
What about self-employed, self-sufficient or student?

All welcome.

lutonlad Jul 7th 2016 2:07 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 11996319)
What about self-employed, self-sufficient or student?

In simple terms.

Self Employed = NO
Self Sufficient = OK
Student = OK for course duration, having paid all fees and accommodation etc.


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:25 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.