British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DaveLovesDee Nov 10th 2016 2:38 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12101293)
Also with the help of the Commonwealth forces.

Yeah, I forgot those too.

Fredbargate Nov 10th 2016 3:16 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Judging by the markets today it would appear that the crash of the £ was down to the fears of Clinton becoming President and not Brexit ;)

£= €1.15 & $1.25

la mancha Nov 10th 2016 4:26 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12101245)
Just look up Lend lease or the fact that Hitler switched from the west to planning his invasion of Russia in October 1940.
Its not your little island its our island an Island that countless numbers of many nations gave their lives for.
Remember that on Sunday, when you watch all the representatives of all the nations who fought alongside us lay their wreaths at the cenotaph.

I also have a list, a lot longer than yours but I do not have to post it to justify a point.

It is you who needs to look up history. Dunkirk, 1940. The Battle of Britain, 1940. The Blitz, 1940. Lend-Lease, 1941. How can you say ‘Our little Island would not have fallen because the US was rearming us and would not have let it happen,’ when the real threat was already over by 1941? (Even you admit there was a threat in 1940.) Where was America and lend-lease in 1940? Hitler only switched to the East when the Battle of Britain was lost and Operation Sealion was no longer possible.

Hitler did not authorise the invasion of Russia until December 1940 and invaded in June 1941.

I do know my island and I do not need anyone to tell me we are a little island when Europe would not be there in its present form if it were not for Britain standing alone against German tyranny. That is my point.

EMR Nov 10th 2016 4:48 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12101422)
I also have a list, a lot longer than yours but I do not have to post it to justify a point.

It is you who needs to look up history. Dunkirk, 1940. The Battle of Britain, 1940. The Blitz, 1940. Lend-Lease, 1941. How can you say ‘Our little Island would not have fallen because the US was rearming us and would not have let it happen,’ when the real threat was already over by 1941? (Even you admit there was a threat in 1940.) Where was America and lend-lease in 1940? Hitler only switched to the East when the Battle of Britain was lost and Operation Sealion was no longer possible.

Hitler did not authorise the invasion of Russia until December 1940 and invaded in June 1941.

I do know my island and I do not need anyone to tell me we are a little island when Europe would not be there in its present form if it were not for Britain standing alone against German tyranny. That is my point.

You should look at the billions the UK spent buying arms aircraft and munitions from 1939 onwards from the US.
You seem to be ignoring the efforts of all those who fought alongside the UK.
We were not alone far from it.
Visit a wargraves cemetery if you need proof.
Visit the Polish and Czech war memorials.

EMR Nov 10th 2016 4:51 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12101354)
Judging by the markets today it would appear that the crash of the £ was down to the fears of Clinton becoming President and not Brexit ;)

£= €1.15 & $1.25

Even for you Fred thats a ridiculous statement.
I assume you mean it as a Joke.
The dollar is down because of the uncertainty regarding Trump,
Are you a Trumper ?.

EMR Nov 10th 2016 4:53 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12101293)
Also with the help of the Commonwealth forces.

Well said Bipat, Some seem to forget the contribution of others.

la mancha Nov 10th 2016 4:55 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12101436)
You should look at the billions the UK spent buying arms aircraft and munitions from 1939 onwards from the US.
You seem to be ignoring the efforts of all those who fought alongside the UK.
We were not alone far from it.
Visit a wargraves cemetery if you need proof.
Visit the Polish and Czech war memorials.

You are spinning out of control again. You do not know your dates or the facts. I am stating that Britain as a nation stood alone in Europe against German tyranny. If you can prove otherwise I will listen, but for now I am done with this.

EMR Nov 10th 2016 4:58 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12101446)
You are spinning out of control again. You do not know your dates or the facts. I am stating that Britain as a nation stood alone in Europe against German tyranny. If you can prove otherwise I will listen, but for now I am done with this.

As I said, just visit a few wargraves cemeteries and look at the nationalities.

Your little Englander atititude insulting no more so than at this time of the year..

la mancha Nov 10th 2016 5:26 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12101448)
As I said, just visit a few wargraves cemeteries and look at the nationalities.

Your little Englander atititude insulting no more so than at this time of the year..

Okay, one last post to shut you up on your Little Englander slurs, something you always fall back on when you run out of argument. There would not be war cemeteries in Britain containing the graves of foreign soldiers if Britain had capitulated to Germany, as did the rest of allied Europe. They died in the Battle of Britain, for example, only because Britain was the only free allied nation that had not surrendered to Germany. That is why they were here. Do you understand this? Britain stood alone as a nation in Europe against German tyranny.

This discussion (!) is in answer to a poster calling my country a little island, as in insignificant. I do not agree with that and I am definitely finished here.

morpeth Nov 10th 2016 5:33 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12101208)
You what?! Idiot. Do you know nothing? If my little island had fallen in ’39 or ’40 Europe was finished as a free continent. If Germany had followed up on Dunkirk we, and Europe, were finished. What American arms?

Quote: ‘We were not under threat in 1939, just a few months in 1940’

What difference does it make? You have just admitted that we were under threat.

The Poles, French, Belgians, Danes. Norwegians, etc. had already fallen under the Nazi jackboot, the Yugoslavs in early ’41. The Commonwealth would not have been able to fight for Europe’s freedom without my little island. The Americans came into the war after December 1941. They, too, would not have fought for Europe if my little island was under the Nazi Jackboot. And the Russians had signed a pact with the Nazis. They, too, would not have fought for Europe. My little island stood alone in Europe in ’39 and ’40 and '41 against the Nazis and their allies. None of the forces you mention could have fought for Europe if they did not have a free little island standing alone against German tyranny.

Sorry to go off-topic but some things need answering!

America provided arms to UK that were important to the British war effort starting in late 1930's, often against the stated policies of the American government and well before America entered the war, the lend-lease program starting if I recall March 1941 was precisely started because Britain was running out of money.

I had several uncles who fought in the war. British courage and determination showed when it stood alone in the war- but also Australians, South Africans, Canadians, Rhodesians and American volunteers all contributed.

SultanOfSwing Nov 10th 2016 5:36 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12101498)
I had several uncles who fought in the war. British courage and determination showed when it stood alone in the war- but also Australians, South Africans, Canadians, Rhodesians and American volunteers all contributed.

Don't forget Indians and the Gurkhas :nod:

It was a team effort. Britain's role is not to be underplayed, but to pretend that they did not have support from all of these forces is doing a disservice to all who stood by her side.

la mancha Nov 10th 2016 5:45 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
What the hell is wrong with you all? I said ‘Britain stood alone as a nation in Europe against German tyranny.’ As a nation in Europe. Do you understand? I have not mentioned nationalities.

SultanOfSwing Nov 10th 2016 5:46 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12101513)
What the hell is wrong with you all? I said ‘Britain stood alone as a nation in Europe against German tyranny.’ As a nation in Europe. Do you understand? I have not mentioned nationalities.

What does it matter, though? The allies won the war, it wasn't a popularity contest.

Why do people get so triggered by the mere thought of criticism of the piece of land they fell out of their mother on?

morpeth Nov 10th 2016 5:47 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12101506)
Don't forget Indians and the Gurkhas :nod:

It was a team effort. Britain's role is not to be underplayed, but to pretend that they did not have support from all of these forces is doing a disservice to all who stood by her side.

Well worded. I think Britain can feel proud of that period. Germany because of not conquering Britain had to leave more soldiers in France than they otherwise would have- which may have had an effect in the East where in the end the war was really lost for the Germans. ( Having said that, Hitler's heart by all accounts wasn't for conquering England, he repeatedly offered a truce and offered troops defend the British empire).

But as you say , Britain had allies who also contributed and can be appreciated as well. I love the Gurkhas- when I was eight years old communist union organizers, with support from certain ministers in the Indian government, came to murder my father ( and maybe us as we were in the house)and a small band of Gurkhas. faced down a crowd of over 1,000. ( Later the leader of that effort against my father appointed a minister in Indian government !) God bless the Gurkhas !

In North Africa one of my uncles described the bravery of Gurkhas who fought with him. I have no doubt if they let the Gurkhas loose without interference, they would take care of Isis quickly !

SultanOfSwing Nov 10th 2016 5:51 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by morpeth (Post 12101518)
Well worded. I think Britain can feel proud of that period. Germany because of not conquering Britain had to leave more soldiers in France than they otherwise would have- which may have had an effect in the East where in the end the war was really lost for the Germans. ( Having said that, Hitler's heart by all accounts wasn't for conquering England, he repeatedly offered a truce and offered troops defend the British empire).

But as you say , Britain had allies who also contributed and can be appreciated as well. I love the Gurkhas- when I was eight years old communist union organizers, with support from certain ministers in the Indian government, came to murder my father ( and maybe us as we were in the house)and a small band of Gurkhas. faced down a crowd of over 1,000. ( Later the leader of that effort against my father appointed a minister in Indian government !) God bless the Gurkhas !

In North Africa one of my uncles described the bravery of Gurkhas who fought with him. I have no doubt if they let the Gurkhas loose without interference, they would take care of Isis quickly !

I have no doubts the Gurkhas could take care of just about any threat they were unloosed on. They redefine bravery. Also, Tony Hart was a Gurkha, how bloody cool is that?


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:46 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.