British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Red Eric Nov 9th 2016 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12099067)
Spain and Portugal to clash with EU over ‘IMMORAL' penalties | World | News | Daily Express

'It is SABOTAGE!' Spain and Portugal to clash with EU over ‘IMMORAL’ financial penalties

THE European Union (EU) is preparing for a ferocious showdown with Spain and Portugal today as proposals for controversial financial penalties are discussed.

Stupidity beyond belief, still considering financial penalties against countries already deep in the mire.

Just another example of the EU Dictatorships frustration that they have now lost control, no longer can they exercise absolute power and haven't the faintest clue which way to turn.

Just to bring you up to date with this issue Dick as you and your Express links seem to be a little behind the times.

Firstly, financial penalties by way of fines are not being discussed, following a vote forced on the European Parliament by the unelected EU Dictatorship a long time since and their response of taking note of that vote in making their own decision to drop the matter as far as last year is concerned.

Secondly, what is actually currently under discussion is the possible withholding of structural funds from the EU (just as an aside, I'm surprised that you wouldn't be in favour of that, seeing as you have always previously seemed to think that all EU funding is wasted. No matter though - glad you've changed your mind :thumbup:). Anyway, further to another diktat, Portugal's Finance Minister was frogmarched into the European Parliament once more and forced to present MEPs with an explanation of what's going on here, whereupon the MEPs were ordered to support Portugal's position against the Commission. Which they did by some majority, yesterday.

Thirdly, despite the allegation that the Commission is preparing to force harsh adjustments to Portugal's draft budget, there is no such indication that this will happen. In fact, the Portuguese have been consulting with experts from the Commisssion for months over the preparation of this budget and all the signs are that it will be approved by them. We'll find out later today but if there are any adjustments to be made, they will be minor and they will be accommodated just as they were last year.

You should really keep a bit more of an eye on developments between Portugal, some of the other smaller states and the European Commission, Dick. There's some very astute politicians here working for a better, more co-operative EU. Also some interesting developments in the wider world - I think I mentioned the proposal for freedom of movement between the Community of Portuguese Speaking Countries, for example. That's obviously something that would require some negotiation with the EU over but it seems there's quite a lot of momentum behind the idea and that it could come to fruition very shortly.

This is all rather off topic as far as Brexit's concerned, though. Sorry the UK can't be part of that any more but there you go. Brexit means Brexit.

Bipat Nov 9th 2016 6:22 am

re: Post EU Referendum

She is still here, doing her best.

Saree-Clad British PM Theresa May Says Post-Brexit Opportunities In India

While seismic changes going on around her. Modi has overnight made all 500 rupee and 1000 rupee notes non-legal tender. £5 and £10.
(Those most used by the poor without bank accounts, and stored under mattresses! Stocked in safes by the wealthy.)

https://www.bloomberg.com/gadfly/amp...ashless-future

Not relevant on this thread but with Trump as well, what is the world coming to!!!

amideislas Nov 9th 2016 6:30 am

No, Eric, I think you're behind the times.

It's a new era. The old era when things like truth and reality actually mattered is gone now. It left the room this year.

In the new era, you're free to believe anything you want to, even make up your own reality, regardless if there's any tangible basis for it.

So, by the new standard of what's real, everything dick says is true, regardless if it's true or not. Reality is irrelevant. Truth is irrelevant. It's whatever you're led to believe that counts.

Get with the programme.

Red Eric Nov 9th 2016 6:40 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12099569)
It's a new era. The old era when things like truth and reality actually mattered is gone now. It left the room this year.

In the new era, you're free to believe anything you want to, even make up your own reality, regardless if there's any tangible basis for it.

I blame Twitter.

DaveLovesDee Nov 9th 2016 7:03 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12099580)
I blame Twitter.

I blame the media, politicians, and the dumbing-down of education and TV.

Fredbargate Nov 9th 2016 7:06 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12099569)
No, Eric, I think you're behind the times.

So, by the new standard of what's real, everything dick says is true, regardless if it's true or not. Reality is irrelevant. Truth is irrelevant. It's whatever you're led to believe that counts.

Get with the programme.

That disappeared sometime last century along with meaningful education

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12099618)
I blame the media, politicians, and the dumbing-down of education and TV.

Red Eric Nov 9th 2016 7:18 am

Tell me about it.

Education's been being dumbed down for decades. When I was just starting at school, loads of old people used to say to me "I don't know what they teach you in schools these days. It wasn't like that in my day". They had really good schools back then.

And it takes so much longer to teach kids anything these days. In the old days people used to learn everything in 4 years or 6 years and then they could go out to work. Twice as long, minimum, these days.

I think it's the teachers - they're all commies.

Dick Dasterdly Nov 9th 2016 8:23 am

Brexit: Jean-Claude Juncker takes on Angela Merkel with warning to German industry over UK | Politics | News | Daily Express

Yet another almighty clanger from your great and wonderful leader, Remoaners.

:lol:

mikelincs Nov 9th 2016 8:28 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12099698)
Brexit: Jean-Claude Juncker takes on Angela Merkel with warning to German industry over UK | Politics | News | Daily Express

You seem to think that those who voted to 'remain' were happy with the current system and the leaders, not so, in my case. but it is a lot easier to change things if you are actually on the inside.

EMR Nov 9th 2016 8:28 am

What a twonk you are., since when did Merkel become 1, British, 2, A UK politician, 3, A member of the UK parliament 4, A leader of the UK remain campaign.
Those men in white coats I referred in a reply to your post on the Trump forum had better get a move on.

amideislas Nov 9th 2016 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12099642)
Tell me about it.

Education's been being dumbed down for decades. When I was just starting at school, loads of old people used to say to me "I don't know what they teach you in schools these days. It wasn't like that in my day". They had really good schools back then.

And it takes so much longer to teach kids anything these days. In the old days people used to learn everything in 4 years or 6 years and then they could go out to work. Twice as long, minimum, these days.

I think it's the teachers - they're all commies.

Well, certainly in the UK. Europeans in general seem to enjoy a better standard of education, and obviously, aren't quite as gullible as Brits. Germans in particular, aren't nearly as driven by sensationalist media and populism.

DaveLovesDee Nov 9th 2016 9:28 am

Do you realise that any link with the term 'outbrain' in it's web address is pay per click, so the more hits it gets, the more money the link provider gets.

Or to refer to it but it's more common term, it's clickbait.

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12099702)
You seem to think that those who voted to 'remain' were happy with the current system and the leaders, not so, in my case. but it is a lot easier to change things if you are actually on the inside.

Same here. If you don't like the membership rules, only the members can ask for changes. And as we were members of the committee, how can we complain if we don't like them.

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12099704)
What a twonk you are., since when did Merkel become 1, British, 2, A UK politician, 3, A member of the UK parliament 4, A leader of the UK remain campaign.
Those men in white coats I referred in a reply to your post on the Trump forum had better get a move on.

Those who your message is aimed at won't listen to you even when you're right. Because they dislike the messenger, whatever the message is.

lutonlad Nov 9th 2016 9:55 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12099708)
Well, certainly in the UK. Europeans in general seem to enjoy a better standard of education, and obviously, aren't quite as gullible as Brits. Germans in particular, aren't nearly as driven by sensationalist media and populism.

From my limited experience I tend to agree. The Spanish seem to be more conscientious when it comes to learning. Especially when it comes to the 'basics'. Things like mental arithmetic and language skills are very good. I can only base this on what I've seen of my Spanish friends kids and their friends.

Apart from our top elite Uni's I don't think the UK's education system is anything to be particularly proud of any more.

Having said all of that, I'm sure that British kids have the edge in social media skills.

paulry Nov 9th 2016 10:59 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12099109)
Posting the same link within a couple of hours dies not make any less of a pile of your usual steaming stuff.
Is your short term memory going?

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12099343)
Stop confusing him.... it's not fair

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12099437)
He's still trying to convince himself he voted the right way, bless him.

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12099546)
Maybe he's asking for a 2nd Referendum? Or best of 3, possibly?

It was probably the highlight of his life - must all be a bit of an anticlimax now.

So you lot are are so devoid of rational arguments and having cried yourselves silly about brexit, all you can do now is bully those those who have a different opinion. True colours. :thumbdown:

EMR Nov 9th 2016 11:08 am

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12099797)
So you lot are are so devoid of rational arguments and having cried yourselves silly about brexit, all you can do now is bully those those who have a different opinion. True colours. :thumbdown:

Dick does not have an opinion about a post brexit UK.
He still thinks that the referendum has not happened..