British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DaveLovesDee Oct 31st 2016 10:56 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12091728)
Now I know never to take you seriously again.

Now you know how I feel about your posts.

Cameron crawled back with his tail between his legs, as usual.
Cameron was on a hiding to nothing. The hard-liners in his party wanted concessions from the EU, so he asked for them. When he didn't ask for enough in their opinions, the knives came out, and the spin was put on what he did get to make it appear as nothing.

He was a total embarrassment even to his own supporters.
Yeah, that happens when certain sections of his party brief their pet journalists to undermine him by reporting only negative stories about him.

Corbyn's been finding the same to an even greater degree.

I notice you carefully avoid the main point the GUARDIAN made in that article.

THE EU IS NOT ONLY UNDEMOCRATIC, IT IS ALSO ANTI DEMOCRATIC !

:cool:
When I went to school, my English teacher told us to write things in order of importance, with the most important point first.

The line you quote was the least important, and is even true. And the 'article' was an opinion piece dressed as journalism.

Assanah Oct 31st 2016 12:30 pm

BTW, the EU economy is growing despite the Brexit vote. Especially Spain seems to be doing great. So even the threat of losing the British retirees and tourists, and not being able to easily export to the Uk doesn't impress Spanish companies. Well done Spain :thumbsup:

So maybe the EU will just move on after Brexit and forget about the UK soon.....just as if the UK never was a member state.

EMR Oct 31st 2016 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12091711)
Maybe because Spain will not honour the treaties she has signed or international law or have any respect for democracy

If Gibraltar was an untidy spit of land in a non strategic place the UK would have given it up years ago.
If Spain had been able to take it back during the wars that followed the treaty you value so much the Spanish flag would be flying.
Minorca was also ceded to GB in the same treaty but whose flag flys over it?
We could not take it back so left it to Spain.
Your treaty is just a minor detail of history .

Fredbargate Oct 31st 2016 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12091847)
If Gibraltar was an untidy spit of land in a non strategic place the UK would have given it up years ago.
If Spain had been able to take it back during the wars that followed the treaty you value so much the Spanish flag would be flying.
Minorca was also ceded to GB in the same treaty but whose flag flys over it?
We could not take it back so left it to Spain.
Your treaty is just a minor detail of history .

Remember it is Spain that relies on the Treaty of Utrecht to defend her claims over Gibraltar, I have reminded you of this on innumerable previous occasions.
I only use their one card to counter those claims.

However seeing that you are showing such fervent interest I suggest you read the following in full whilst trying to rid your mind of it's inbuilt hatred of all things Gibraltarian:-
https://www.academia.edu/10575180/Gi...ernational_Law

Thanks for keeping Gibraltar in the public focus

EMR Oct 31st 2016 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12091896)
Remember it is Spain that relies on the Treaty of Utrecht to defend her claims over Gibraltar, I have reminded you of this on innumerable previous occasions.
I only use their one card to counter those claims.

However seeing that you are showing such fervent interest I suggest you read the following in full:-
https://www.academia.edu/10575180/Gi...ernational_Law

Thanks for keeping Gibraltar in the public focus

How many times have yiu mentioned the treaty to justify your case, probably thousands.
How do you justify the Spanish occupatiom of British territory, ie Minorca.also ceded in your famous treaty.
If your treaty is that important in international law why are you not leading a campaign to recover all those territories ceded to GB.
We hold Gib simply because the Spanish failed to take it back from us.
Your treaty is just a pretty piece of vellum , nothing more, nothing less.

Fredbargate Oct 31st 2016 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12091901)
How many times have yiu mentioned the treaty to justify your case, probably thousands.
How do you justify the Spanish occupatiom of British territory, ie Minorca.also ceded in your famous treaty.
If your treaty is that important in international law why are you not leading a campaign to recover all those territories ceded to GB.
We hold Gib simply because the Spanish failed to take it back from us.
Your treaty is just a pretty piece of vellum , nothing more, nothing less.

I guess you didn't bother with the link

amideislas Oct 31st 2016 2:49 pm

Why UK Brexit talk baffles Germany
Brexit may mean Brexit in Westminster. But Theresa May would be well advised to remember that in Germany no very definitely means no. And if she does get offered a biscuit from Angela Merkel in any upcoming negotiations, she might do well to take it. The plate probably will not come round again.

jimenato Oct 31st 2016 3:26 pm

This will please the Breckers.

Descendants of the tens of thousands of German Jews who fled the Nazis and found refuge in Britain are making use of their legal right to become German citizens following the Brexit vote.
I hate what our country is becoming.

I think I'll post this in the 'Proud to be British' thread as well.

mrken30 Oct 31st 2016 3:58 pm

Brexit Threatens British Pound Reserve Currency Status, Says S&P

What will happen if this become true , I wonder.
https://www.dailyfx.com/forex/market...s-Says-SP.html

la mancha Oct 31st 2016 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12091998)
This will please the Breckers.

I hate what our country is becoming.

I think I'll post this in the 'Proud to be British' thread as well.

Re-posted from 'Proud to be British' thread.

Jewish people have been fleeing Britain for some years now. See link written more than a year before Brexit.

'We’re leaving Britain - Jews aren’t safe here any more’ - Telegraph

They are also fleeing France. And Belgium. And Germany...

And Europe…

700,000 Jews are considering leaving Europe - - Articles -

And it has nothing to do with Brexit.

People sometimes think the grass is greener somewhere else. Human nature.

These days it is also human nature to blame everything on Brexit.

EMR Oct 31st 2016 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12092136)

Jewish people have been fleeing Britain for some years now. See link written more than a year before Brexit.

And Europe…

You just posted this on another thread, posting twice does not make it more worth reading.
Your links are also a bit dated, rather like the views of many brexiters.

la mancha Oct 31st 2016 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12092138)
You just posted this on another thread, posting twice does not make it more worth reading.
Your links are also a bit dated, rather like the views of many brexiters.

I have answered both this and the other post and that is the reason my post has been replicated on two threads. Can I ask why you did not post a similar comment to jimenato who posted the same post on two threads and to whom I was replying to on both threads? You really are pathetic and puerile.

I know the links are dated. That is the whole bloody point! They are pre-Brexit!!!

SultanOfSwing Oct 31st 2016 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12092151)
I know the links are dated. That is the whole bloody point! They are pre-Brexit!!!

I guess they're not that out of date then, because so is the UK.

DaveLovesDee Oct 31st 2016 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12092136)

And Europe…

Of course they have been leaving, given the rise again of groups such as the BNP, National Front, and similar organisations across Europe.

The Brexit vote gave groups like these (and like-minded individuals) the belief that they could be more open in their dislike of foreigners. But these groups and individuals have been growing in numbers for at least the last 5 years. Even UKIP wasn't as hard core until it became mainstream (or did it become mainstream after it became hard core?).

la mancha Oct 31st 2016 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12092165)
Of course they have been leaving, given the rise again of groups such as the BNP, National Front, and similar organisations across Europe.

The Brexit vote gave groups like these (and like-minded individuals) the belief that they could be more open in their dislike of foreigners. But these groups and individuals have been growing in numbers for at least the last 5 years. Even UKIP wasn't as hard core until it became mainstream (or did it become mainstream after it became hard core?).

15,000 Jews to leave France for Israel, Jewish Agency says - Telegraph

Jews leave France in record numbers - CNN.com

Are you for real? I give you two posts why Jewish people are pissed off with Europe and Brexit does not come into it. I could post more but I will not waste time off-topic.

When will you listen? My links are from way before the Brexit vote. Why is it that everything that goes wrong anywhere is the fault of Brexit? Muslim extremism has something to do with it. And WTF has UKIP to do with Jewish people leaving Britain or anywhere else for that matter? You may as well say Jewish people are leaving Britain because of anti-semitic comments from members of the labour party.