British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DaveLovesDee Jul 18th 2017 10:41 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Ingles (Post 12296872)
It's ME :thumbsup:

oh! p.s. INDIA

20,000th post on this thread Ingles. :thumbsup:

Annetje Jul 18th 2017 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Ingles (Post 12296872)
It's ME :thumbsup:

oh! p.s. INDIA

WELL DONE !!!

WE ARE SO PROUD OF YOU !!!!

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Novocastrian Jul 18th 2017 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12296793)
None taken on that front. Damn sensible chap that Novocastrian - I've no qualms about being mixed up with him :)

About a week ago!

I fully agree with the sentiments but I think October's a bit early.

A whole week!!! FFS I can't remember that far back on a thread like this. :(

Garbatellamike Jul 18th 2017 11:37 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 12296900)
A whole week!!! FFS I can't remember that far back on a thread like this. :(

Be guided by Eric on this front - he's exceptionally good at remembering that kind of thing. He is perhaps the polar opposite of goldfish memory man EMR on that front :sneaky:

Lion in Winter Jul 18th 2017 11:46 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12296816)
Oh, I see. Interesting.

Do you think Lion in Winter's grammar-pedantry is a result of butt-hurt about missing the cut as an extreme-remainer?

It is disappointing. You would think that as a vile-lefty who doesn't think that the free-market is the best-solution to everything, I would have qualified easily. I put it down to growing up in Zone-2.

Lion in Winter Jul 18th 2017 11:49 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12296876)
20,000th post on this thread Ingles. :thumbsup:

This thread is many times fatter than the Brexit team's folder of documents.

EMR Jul 18th 2017 11:51 am

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12296909)
Be guided by Eric on this front - he's exceptionally good at remembering that kind of thing. He is perhaps the polar opposite of goldfish memory man EMR on that front :sneaky:

Its not too difficult, its about those poor unfortunates brexiters who do not undersand the theory of cause and effect .
Those who cling to the fantasy that a post brexit UK will return to the early 60s when we were still a major power, a manufacturing giant and where foreign language speakers were restricted to a few small areas of our major cities.

Garbatellamike Jul 18th 2017 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12296916)
It is disappointing. You would think that as a vile-lefty who doesn't think that the free-market is the best-solution to everything, I would have qualified easily. I put it down to growing up in Zone-2.

Putting aside the shameful fact that you grew up in zone 2 for the moment ;)

Does anybody think that the free-market is the best-solution (sic) to everything?

EMR Jul 18th 2017 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12296946)

Does anybody think that the free-market is the best-solution (sic) to everything?

Trump !

iano Jul 18th 2017 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12296810)
That explains why I cannot forget Stevie Gees slip against City that cost us the league.😥

Well, you've already forgotten the slip was against Chelsea that handed City the league, so you're half-way there Mr Goldfish. :p

EMR Jul 18th 2017 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12296972)
Well, you've already forgotten the slip was against Chelsea that handed City the league, so you're half-way there Mr Goldfish. :p

Don,t get me started, remember the result against Palace.
Best chance in a decade , thrown away.

Lion in Winter Jul 18th 2017 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by Garbatellamike (Post 12296946)

Apparently Cape-Blue does. I've tried explaining that the free-market isn't free at all but has been highly-manipulated by a certain power-structure to favour the chosen-few. But I have failed miserably.

Btw, all these hyphens are exhausting, I don't know how he does it. I'm stopping now.

DaveLovesDee Jul 18th 2017 1:02 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12296918)
This thread is many times fatter than the Brexit team's folder of documents.

Allegedly, the UK's documents were still in the briefcases, but the UK team was eager to get the photo-op done.

Image over substance (again!).

Bipat Jul 18th 2017 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12296920)
Its not too difficult, its about those poor unfortunates brexiters who do not undersand the theory of cause and effect .
Those who cling to the fantasy that a post brexit UK will return to the early 60s when we were still a major power, a manufacturing giant and where foreign language speakers were restricted to a few small areas of our major cities.

Brexiters do not want to return to anything, just for the UK to be in charge of its own destiny.

"Foreign language speakers"?? Presume you mean EU languages! There were plenty of 'non-EU' language speakers in all areas, also plenty of Polish and Jewish people post war, (and the latter came from European countries). They didn't all instantly forget their home languages!

Red Eric Jul 18th 2017 1:43 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12296916)

Maybe your level of fecundity counted against you?

Red Eric Jul 18th 2017 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12296985)
Allegedly, the UK's documents were still in the briefcases, but the UK team was eager to get the photo-op done.

Image over substance (again!).

They should have claimed they had stacks of documents and folders in front of them but the EU airbrushed them out of the photo.

Lion in Winter Jul 18th 2017 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12297030)
They should have claimed they had stacks of documents and folders in front of them but the EU airbrushed them out of the photo.

[snort]

Apparently there was less than an hour's worth of material there.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...f-brexit-talks

Lion in Winter Jul 18th 2017 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12297018)
Maybe your level of fecundity counted against you?

I've only got the one child, so I don't think so. Mind you, he is half foreign.

EMR Jul 18th 2017 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12297014)
Brexiters do not want to return to anything, just for the UK to be in charge of its own destiny.

"Foreign language speakers"?? Presume you mean EU languages! There were plenty of 'non-EU' language speakers in all areas, also plenty of Polish and Jewish people post war, (and the latter came from European countries). They didn't all instantly forget their home languages!

Not at all , the early 60s were a very different place outside of our major cities.
Our own destiny, you really do not know much about our post-war history do you.
Falklands, N Ireland, Kuwait, Afganistan, Iraq,.Oman, West Africa.
Just a few of those significant events which have nothing to do with EU membership.
The miners strike, 3 day weeks, energy crisis, inner city riots, Comonwalth immigration ad nasesum.
You need to wake up.

Lion in Winter Jul 18th 2017 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12297014)

Why on earth did membership in the EU mean we were not in charge of our own destiny :confused: Life consists of choices, and we make them as a country too. To be part of the EU was a freely-made choice, and we made a choice for one set of alliances and agreements over others. All we are doing now (if the government ever gets its act together) is swapping it out for a different set of alliances and agreements. Casting this as more, or less, freedom either way is just electioneering nonsense.

Bipat Jul 18th 2017 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12297036)
Not at all , the early 60s were a very different place outside of our major cities.
Our own destiny, you really do not know much about our post-war history do you.
Falklands, N Ireland, Kuwait, Afganistan, Iraq,.Oman, West Africa.
Just a few of those significant events which have nothing to do with EU membership.
The miners strike, 3 day weeks, energy crisis, inner city riots, Comonwalth immigration ad nasesum.
You need to wake up.

We are talking of our Post Brexit destiny.

What are you talking about??? The events you describe obviously had nothing to do with the EU. Also it has only existed for the last 23 years.
UK actions good or bad were their own doing.

How old are you EMR--do you remember the 60s?
The major cities were were very different places 50 years ago!

But regards your previous post --foreign languages were spoken in all areas, apart from perhaps rural villages!

Bipat Jul 18th 2017 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12297042)
Why on earth did membership in the EU mean we were not in charge of our own destiny :confused: Life consists of choices, and we make them as a country too. To be part of the EU was a freely-made choice, and we made a choice for one set of alliances and agreements over others. All we are doing now (if the government ever gets its act together) is swapping it out for a different set of alliances and agreements. Casting this as more, or less, freedom either way is just electioneering nonsense.

I would have thought that another judiciary superior to your own meant you were not in charge.

We voted to stay in the EEC in 1975. The EU was founded 23 years ago, there was no choice for the general public.

jimenato Jul 18th 2017 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12297042)

:goodpost:

I expect the next things to go will be the UN, NATO, maybe The Commonwealth.

And definitely - absolutely - not a trade deal with the US. That would be selling our soul.

amideislas Jul 18th 2017 2:26 pm

Meanwhile...

Europe Is Bored With Brexit
Brexit talks fail to make it onto front pages across Europe

The geopolitical reality suggests what while Brexit is the be all and end all for the British, the EU may not be bluffing when it says the bloc has plenty else on its plate, from its dealings with U.S. leader Donald Trump and Russia’s Vladimir Putin to a series of complicated relationships with other G-20 partners.

(Tick tock tick tock tick tock)

EMR Jul 18th 2017 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12297046)
We are talking of our Post Brexit destiny.

What are you talking about??? The events you describe obviously had nothing to do with the EU. Also it has only existed for the last 23 years.
UK actions good or bad were their own doing.

How old are you EMR--do you remember the 60s?
The major cities were were very different places 50 years ago!

But regards your previous post --foreign languages were spoken in all areas, apart from perhaps rural villages!

So do please tell us what our destiny will be when we brexit.
Go try.
I moved to N Oxon from Southall in the early 70s.
Asians ran the one Indian restaurant, that was their sum total.
The majority of black faces belonged to the US servicemen from local US bases, I suppose you could say they spoke a foreign language.
I will put it in a way that I think you will understand.
Immigration be it EU or non EU was not an issue apart from those who lived in those of our major cities where immigrants concentrated from the mid sixties onwards.

I will leave you to continue giving thought as to our post brexit destiny.

la mancha Jul 18th 2017 2:28 pm

Inflation has dropped.

Blame Brexit!

I am waiting for the usual moaners to post their negatives.

amideislas Jul 18th 2017 2:30 pm

Brexit? What brexit?

You keep using that word. I don't think it means what you think it means.

la mancha Jul 18th 2017 2:33 pm

There's the first.

EMR Jul 18th 2017 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12297053)
I would have thought that another judiciary superior to your own meant you were not in charge.

We voted to stay in the EEC in 1975. The EU was founded 23 years ago, there was no choice for the general public.

Given that you or anyone who shares your views can point to any negatives on you life or that if anyone in the UK regarding the ECJ you argument has no basis in fact.

iano Jul 18th 2017 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12297060)
Inflation has dropped.

That is great news, thanks for sharing manch.

amideislas Jul 18th 2017 2:44 pm

It seems the nonexistent Brexit inflationary pressure is over.

Well, maybe not. Still 2.5% higher than a year ago, and that's before Brexit even happens. But just keep a positive attitude and it'll all work out. That seems to be the plan so far anyway.

EMR Jul 18th 2017 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12297073)
That is great news, thanks for sharing manch.

Caused by a reduction in global oil prices and a rise in the pound against the dollar.
But as we know in brexit world cause and effect do not exist.
Because the chance of interest rate rises has diminished the pound has fallen today.
The result costs of imports will continue to affect inflation.
Inflation which is still above average wage increases.

Cape Blue Jul 18th 2017 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12297066)
There's the first.

First of many I expect, I'm sure there's a cloud they can dig up to smother the silver lining.

la mancha Jul 18th 2017 2:47 pm

Ami, can’t you be happy like iano, just for once?

iano Jul 18th 2017 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12297087)

Steady, manch, didn't say I was happy. Still poorer today than I was yesterday.

amideislas Jul 18th 2017 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12297087)

Well, all evidence suggests there's not one upside in any of this. Add to that the waffling and sheer incompetence of those in charge of it. Add to that the ticking clock...

But I reckon that's all just a product of the apparent "plan" (as you seem to champion): just keep a "positive attitude" and it'll all work out. Like buying that pub in the costas that's going to facilitate living the high life in the sun. Just sign here. It's gonna be great.

la mancha Jul 18th 2017 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by iano (Post 12297089)
Steady, manch, didn't say I was happy. Still poorer today than I was yesterday.

Sorry, iano, getting carried away a bit.

la mancha Jul 18th 2017 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12297097)
Well, all evidence suggests there's not one upside in any of this. Add to that the waffling and sheer incompetence of those in charge of it. Add to that the ticking clock...

But I reckon that's all just a product of the apparent plan (as you seem to champion): just keep a "positive attitude" and it'll all work out. Like buying that pub in the costas that's going to facilitate living the high life in the sun. Just sign here. It's gonna be great.

Yawn...

Garbatellamike Jul 18th 2017 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12297081)
It seems the nonexistent Brexit inflationary pressure is over.

Well, maybe not. Still 2.5% higher than a year ago, and that's before Brexit even happens. But just keep a positive attitude and it'll all work out. That seems to be the plan so far anyway.

Be careful of equating inflation solely with BREXIT as there are other factors involved including all the QE :nod:

The UK created £375bn ($550bn) of new money in its QE programme between 2009 and 2012. moreover, in August 2016, the Bank of England said it would buy £60bn of UK government bonds and £10bn of corporate bonds. This is all money printed that was not earned by the economy and leads to inflationary pressures sooner or later.

amideislas Jul 18th 2017 3:11 pm

Yes, that's how I feel about it. After all this this time, you (or anyone else) still have yet to offer any tangible upside.

Yawn...