British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

la mancha Oct 29th 2016 1:59 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12090427)
One of those ways will have the UK paying a fee (£350m a week, anyone?) to trade in those areas of the single market to which it wishes to retain access and following the rules with regard to that or those sectors. And possibly more besides (for example, could the UK be active in some or all sectors of the single market and not be subject to at least some rulings by the ECJ?)

Which will surely not be to the liking of all Leavers, who insisted during the referendum campaign that, aside from immigration, it was precisely those sorts of things that they would be voting against. That's why the sudden about-face is a bit puzzling to me.

There is nothing puzzling about Brexit. It means leaving the EU. Out of Brussels. Member states reduced to twenty-seven. Get on with it. Goodbye. Solve problems of your own making yourself. That is Brexit. Brexit that means Berlaymont. Not Europe.

Brexit from day one will not be the Brexit of five, ten years and more after.

DaveLovesDee Oct 29th 2016 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12090440)
Brexit from day one will not be the Brexit of five, ten years and more after.

Another meaningless soundbite!

The day we officially leave is Brexit Day. Anything after that is post-Brexit, which is when this thread's title will actually make sense.

Red Eric Oct 29th 2016 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12090440)
There is nothing puzzling about Brexit.

There is if you're going to keep changing your minds about what it might involve.

I was under the impression that to Leavers it meant, amongst other things, saving the membership fee (which it might not, according to you), getting rid of EU bureaucracy (which it might not, if the UK is to continue trading in the single market) and not being subject to decisions made by courts outside the UK (which it might not, ditto preceding point).

And that's just for starters.

Remainers have always been a lot more adaptable about what Brexit might mean.

amideislas Oct 29th 2016 2:13 pm

Evidently the government and brexit team are finding it puzzling, now that they've taken the time to learn about what it actually means.

And if Brexit means Brexit (as you suggest), then what's the problem? Why not pull the trigger and get on with it?

I'm going to lean out the window and suggest maybe the brexit team has concluded that Brexit may not be Brexit. Aside from guaranteeing huge payoffs to the auto industry (which they flatly deny), the only other compelling guarantee can only be that the UK isn't going to leave the single market. And there's no chance of being in the single market without the other burdens. So, Brexit may not mean Brexit.

DaveLovesDee Oct 29th 2016 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12090448)
Evidently the government and brexit team are finding it puzzling, now that they've taken the time to learn about what it actually means.

And if Brexit means Brexit (as you suggest), then what's the problem? Why not pull the trigger and get on with it?

I'm going to lean out the window and suggest maybe the brexit team has concluded that Brexit may not be Brexit. Aside from guaranteeing huge payoffs to the auto industry (which they flatly deny), the only other compelling guarantee can only be that the UK isn't going to leave the single market. And there's no chance of being in the single market without the other burdens. So, Brexit may not mean Brexit.

I'm seriously thinking that Brexit will be achieved by leaving the EU (which will satisfy Brexiters) but joining the EEA (which won't satisfy them).

But as la mancha wants, there'll only be 27 EU member states then!

amideislas Oct 29th 2016 4:41 pm

This one pisses me off a bit more than others, because the Spanish I know are all super people with big hearts.

Uproar in Spain over videos of ‘Brexit-related attacks’ in UK
Man from Bournemouth found guilty of hitting 27-year-old from Valencia around the head with a wooden plank

Two videos of Spaniards being violently assaulted in separate incidents in the UK have gone viral in Spain, fuelling speculation the attacks could be linked to Brexit.
He told El País that Way “came at us from the other side, screaming 'you f***ing Spanish, speak English', and I faced up to him a bit.

“Silvia told me to let it go. And then... well, you see it in the video: he pretends to leave, gets the stick... and takes good aim,” Mr Gil said.
In the four years he spent in Britain, he said he worked in a kitchen and a factory, and as a sales assistant and a waiter, but he experienced no racism beyond observing a "feeling of superiority" in some British people.

Dick Dasterdly Oct 29th 2016 5:17 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12090489)
This one pisses me off a bit more than others, because the Spanish I know are all super people with big hearts.
[/I]

Spanish mob 'killed British father-of-three Stephen Mallon after son danced with local girl' | Daily Mail Online

Of course this never happened. :sarcasm:

Dick Dasterdly Oct 29th 2016 5:19 pm

I imagine this pisses you off as well Ami. :cool:

Ford becomes latest car manufacturer to pledge future to Britain in major vote of confidence following Brexit vote | Daily Mail Online

amideislas Oct 29th 2016 5:31 pm

No it doesn't piss me off at all. It's a good sign. It likely means brexit does NOT mean brexit. Because, well, brexit represents only downside for everybody.

It's likely to piss you off though.

amideislas Oct 29th 2016 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12090511)

Given the daily mail's record, probably not. Or at least not as it's represented.

Dick Dasterdly Oct 29th 2016 5:35 pm

I see the Remoaners are still fantasising about the sky falling in some distant time in the future.

Having got their pre referendum forecast totally wrong,
their referendum forecasts wrong,
plus their immediate post referendum forecasts totally wrong as well
right up to the present date,
it might have been expected for them to pipe down a bit and stop embarrassing themselves any further,

but no,
on and on they go, like a broken record with not even the faintest clue how it will all pan out.

I imagine a betting man would look at their track record and put his money on precisely the opposite result of the endless nonsensical garbage they still continue churning out. :cool:

amideislas Oct 29th 2016 5:40 pm

Dick, you really need a break. Do you have a holiday scheduled or something? I think it might be good for you.

paulry Oct 29th 2016 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12090533)
Dick, you really need a break. Do you have a holiday scheduled or something? I think it might be good for you.

There there Ami :cry_smile:

amideislas Oct 29th 2016 5:52 pm

Do you have anything *credible* to offer?

paulry Oct 29th 2016 6:02 pm

The video is very credible. Are you saying these things are not credible?