British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

mikelincs Jun 24th 2016 10:58 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 11982607)
That better not happen, if it does? i sense a massive civil war on the rise riots n shit.

Well at least one of the 'leave' leaders did state this in an address, but, unfortunately, it was largely unreported in the press, as 'stopping the migrants' was much better headlines.

Red Eric Jun 24th 2016 11:12 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Vexcore (Post 11982607)
That better not happen, if it does? i sense a massive civil war on the rise riots n shit.

Is that what a Brave New Dawn looks like?

Lion in Winter Jun 24th 2016 11:16 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 11982613)
Well at least one of the 'leave' leaders did state this in an address, but, unfortunately, it was largely unreported in the press, as 'stopping the migrants' was much better headlines.




I would imagine it will almost certainly go that way. What else can they realistically do? Plenty of people said so, including people on BE, but the shouting about foreigners and flag waving was too loud.

Lion in Winter Jun 24th 2016 11:44 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 11982626)
Is that what a Brave New Dawn looks like?

Mostly a lot of shouting and flag waving until they calm down, then the rest of us have to clean up the mess because the UK looks like a small town after an attack of binge drinking by a gang of youth - rubbish and sick on the ground everywhere, and people still wearing their dirty clothes from the previous night lying around wherever they passed out.

One could hardly blame the Northern Irish and Scots for wanting to bugger off.

amideislas Jun 24th 2016 12:06 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Luckily for us, British tourism accounts for a mere fraction of tourism revenues here, so the inevitable decline of it will only have a limited effect.

Fortunately, Germans should still have reasonably respectable disposable income, so I doubt that segment will be affected much. Besides, they don't share the same fear of foreigners, so it doesn't "scare" them to go abroad.

Although it's ironic that the scariest place around here is Magaluf.


Lion in Winter Jun 24th 2016 1:13 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Has Farage resigned yet? Surely he should lead the way? Presumably he has saved up enough from 17 years of EU salary and expense accounrs.

lutonlad Jun 24th 2016 1:16 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 11982484)
It's a bright shiny new day in the UK, everything fresh sunny and clean after the rains. What a perfect day for the UK to wake up to such good news

:cool:

:britflag:

It's the real Labour voters who helped bring this about - not Corbyns coalition of elitist Guardianistas and activist thugs. Examples of the former being evident on this thread. Their superior stance and smug hypocrisy has been left wanting.

As for Cameron, he's a complete idiot. His negotiating skills were exposed by the EU as useless. Otherwise, the outcome of this referendum could have been very different.

But now that the vote is done and dusted, I hope that the 'new' Tory leadership will quickly take the tough measures necessary to bring back control for the people of England and Wales - our United Kingdom!

Lion in Winter Jun 24th 2016 1:19 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 11982746)
It's the real Labour voters who helped bring this about - not Corbyns coalition of elitist Guardianistas and activist thugs. Examples of the former being evident on this thread. Their superior stance and smug hypocrisy has been left wanting.

As for Cameron, he's a complete idiot. His negotiating skills were exposed by the EU as useless. Otherwise, the outcome of this referendum could have been very different.

But now that the vote is done and dusted, I hope that the 'new' Tory leadership will quickly take the tough measures necessary to bring back control for the people of England and Wales - our United Kingdom!

People keep using the term "elites" - who exactly are these people? Specifically I mean.

paulry Jun 24th 2016 1:25 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 11982746)
It's the real Labour voters who helped bring this about - not Corbyns coalition of elitist Guardianistas and activist thugs. Examples of the former being evident on this thread. Their superior stance and smug hypocrisy has been left wanting.

As for Cameron, he's a complete idiot. His negotiating skills were exposed by the EU as useless. Otherwise, the outcome of this referendum could have been very different.

But now that the vote is done and dusted, I hope that the 'new' Tory leadership will quickly take the tough measures necessary to bring back control for the people of England and Wales - our United Kingdom!

Brexit will lance much of the EU poison that has afflicted our main parties for decades now. I'm not banking on it but maybe, just maybe Brexit will be the catalyst for change - resetting the parties back to their core traditional values. :cool:

It also has the scope for ushering in a different kind of globalisation - one where the main beneficiaries will be hard working people and their families, instead of big business.

amideislas Jun 24th 2016 1:27 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 11982746)
It's the real Labour voters who helped bring this about - not Corbyns coalition of elitist Guardianistas and activist thugs. Examples of the former being evident on this thread. Their superior stance and smug hypocrisy has been left wanting.

As for Cameron, he's a complete idiot. His negotiating skills were exposed by the EU as useless. Otherwise, the outcome of this referendum could have been very different.

But now that the vote is done and dusted, I hope that the 'new' Tory leadership will quickly take the tough measures necessary to bring back control for the people of England and Wales - our United Kingdom!

As predicted, the blame game begins already...

EMR Jun 24th 2016 1:31 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 11982757)
Brexit will lance much of the EU poison that has afflicted our main parties for decades now. I'm not banking on it but maybe, just maybe Brexit will be the catalyst for change - resetting the parties back to their core traditional values. :cool:

It also has the scope for ushering in a different kind of globalisation - one where the main beneficiaries will be hard working people and their families, instead of big business.

Still clinging to the falacy that labour voters voted against the EU.
They and many others were able to show their dislike of migration, all migration and to express their dislike of government policies.
Who will they blame when nothing changes in fact for those in deprived areas it gets worse.

Lion in Winter Jun 24th 2016 1:35 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 11982757)
Brexit will lance much of the EU poison that has afflicted our main parties for decades now. I'm not banking on it but maybe, just maybe Brexit will be the catalyst for change - resetting the parties back to their core traditional values. :cool:

It also has the scope for ushering in a different kind of globalisation - one where the main beneficiaries will be hard working people and their families, instead of big business.

You leftie, woolly romantic you.

Dick Dasterdly Jun 24th 2016 1:36 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 11982757)
Brexit will lance much of the EU poison that has afflicted our main parties for decades now. I'm not banking on it but maybe, just maybe Brexit will be the catalyst for change - resetting the parties back to their core traditional values. :cool:

It also has the scope for ushering in a different kind of globalisation - one where the main beneficiaries will be hard working people and their families, instead of big business.

That's the big difference.
Remain has always been about greed, a quick buck and little else.
Leave was about decent values, freedom and democracy.
The people have spoken.

Try and get over your sour grapes and calm yourself down the English way with a nice pot of tea Ami.

I'm sure you'll feel much better. ;)

lutonlad Jun 24th 2016 1:38 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 11982751)
People keep using the term "elites" - who exactly are these people? Specifically I mean.

Ooh that's a tough one...

Could it be the pseudo socialists sitting behind their Guardians and Observers or Forums, making pronouncements from a safe distance, on what's best for mere ordinary folk who live in communities adversely affected by EU policies.

Often the same people who brand Brexiters as racist :thumbdown:

Is that specific enough?

Lion in Winter Jun 24th 2016 1:45 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by lutonlad (Post 11982778)
Ooh that's a tough one...

Could it be the pseudo socialists sitting behind their Guardians and Observers or Forums, making pronouncements from a safe distance, on what's best for mere ordinary folk who live in communities adversely affected by EU policies.

Often the same people who brand Brexiters as racist :thumbdown:

Is that specific enough?

Not really, no. It's a real question - because usually "elites" means the people who actually hold power in the country, irrespective of the newspapers they read, etc. Far from being at a safe distance, they are the ones running the banks, international industry, and government.

So unless you think that these people are not going to be the ones determining both the terms of our exit and how our economy will be run (as they always have), I'm at a loss as to how improving the lives of "ordinary people" is suddenly going to be made a priority. And I'm as ordinary as they come.


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:22 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.