British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Oct 3rd 2016 6:29 pm

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12067645)
bit like a dummy spit then:rofl:

Clearly you do not understand majority rules.
The UK is in a minority of 1 and subject to the decisions of the other 27 and the rules the UK signed up to.

TGA Oct 3rd 2016 6:32 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12067651)
Clearly you do not understand majority rules.
The UK is in a minority of 1 and subject to the decisions of the other 27 and the rules the UK signed up to.

ok a majority dummy spit.
happy now;)

EMR Oct 3rd 2016 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12067649)
meanwhile someone speaks sense.

Liam Fox

The same liam foxup who alienated the junior doctors and the millions who support them.
The same liam foxup who is regarded by many of his fellow mps as living in la la land.
The same liam foxup who has endeared himself to british business men by calling them lazy.
He is starting to make even the vulcan appear to have a semblance of normality.

amideislas Oct 3rd 2016 6:45 pm

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12067649)
meanwhile someone speaks sense.

“How little they understand the British people
Liam Fox

Do the "British people" have any understanding of the rest of the world (many orders of magnitude the size of Britain)? I think this may be where the larger problem lies. Clearly the three brexiters have exhibited little understanding. I'd be surprised if they could point out Brussels or Frankfurt or Madrid or Atlanta or Sao Paulo on a map.

EMR Oct 3rd 2016 7:17 pm

Liam Foxup is the best asset the hardliners in the EU have.
You could almost think he was planted by them.

Red Eric Oct 3rd 2016 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by TGA (Post 12067645)

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12067639)
And it's still "No" to any preparatory negotiations. Notification means notification.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics...e-50-triggered

bit like a dummy spit then:rofl:

Not at all like a dummy spit, no. It's the process which was inserted into the Lisbon Treaty at the insistence of the UK (take note all those Brexiters who were constantly saying prior to the referendum that the UK had no influence in the EU) and therefore presumably a process whose rules they were instrumental in drafting.

Playing by the rules - one of those traditionally British qualities and an integral part of its much-vaunted culture.

amideislas Oct 3rd 2016 8:18 pm

Just watched an interview with Grayling on TV.

He said it's a doddle, 16% of all European exports go to the UK (it's actually 7.5%) and so the EU has no choice but to give Britain anything it wants.

No mention of the fact that Britain is dependent on those imports.

Naive at best.

DaveLovesDee Oct 3rd 2016 8:30 pm

Given that May appears to want a hard Brexit, when do we break the Good Friday agreement and make the NI-RoI border a secure one?

After all, we don't want EU nationals, migrants and refugees going to Ireland then sneaking into the UK.

amideislas Oct 3rd 2016 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12067569)
The case why the EU could lose its exports to the UK is because in a recession-hit UK we will not be able to afford them. I have said this so many times now that I am thinking of sending you a sticker for you to stick…on your forehead. Why would consumer-based goods businesses have to move to the EU if we lose the single market? Are you saying the UK will not be able to, for some reason, export to European nations? Why should UK exports to the EU stop? Would the EU stop all UK exports? Why would a car maker spend billions to build a factory in the EU for the sake of…what exactly? No single market? No European market at all? Explain this for me.

Because it makes no sense to give away stuff for nothing. Britain won't be Syria anytime soon, but it will be minus the single market, and their problems will soon be their problems only.

Re food from the EU, there is a world beyond Brussels. Building on pre-existing historical links, one could envisage early agreements with New Zealand and Australia which could include comprehensive concessions on agri-food trade. The UK might also find it easier to sign an FTA with Mercosur, which could allow, for example, much easier access of Brazilian beef to the UK market than is currently the case, or with the US which would allow easier access for US beef and poultry than the EU is willing to allow in the TTIP negotiations. There is thus a high probability that the trade policy the UK would pursue with non-EU countries would lead to greater competition on the UK market for those EU countries that are current suppliers.

As for your assumption that we are dependent on EU goods, do you mean entirely dependent as you do not make this clear? Can I also ask if you mean if we leave the single market the UK will not reach out globally for other markets? Did you not read what May said today? ‘A global Britain, a country with the self-confidence and the freedom to look beyond the continent of Europe and to the economic and diplomatic opportunities of the wider world.’ Do you not think those words were said without any thought or strategy for the future?

Across the channel or across the Atlantic. Which is more cost-effective?

You ask why European banks are in London? One reason is for the capital markets. This is where businesses borrow capital and obtain credit. There are only two ‘capital’ capital markets: New York and London. Without that market the EU’s Capital Markets Union is dead or severely delayed enough to keep European nations in austerity for another ten years plus, and borrowing across the Eurozone will be severely disrupted. Much of European banks' derivatives and wholesale markets operations are based in London.

London is hip, that's for sure. For now. But there's a new reality. It will soon be "just London". There won't be much more than that.

In any case, I can equally cite an article which claims that Businesses will move to New York, not Frankfurt. But like your example, that's just one. The rest seem to think Frankfurt or Paris are more likely. Certainly the institutions that are already moving seem to favour Frankfurt.

Businesses fleeing Brexit will head to New York not EU, warns LSE chief

In any case, despite the widespread threats to moving to the continent, it still means London loses its luster.

Press releases are one thing: reality another. Deustche Bank are to lay-off/laid-off 25,000 staff, some in London. Commerzbank, yet another German bank in trouble, are to lay-off up to 10,000 jobs, some in London. If these banks were not doing so to stay alive you would all cry ‘BREXIT’, wouldn’t you? From one of my earlier posts. ‘The world’s biggest banks are appealing to the U.S. and other foreign governments to help them make the case for safeguarding London’s status as an international financial hub in the Brexit negotiations.’ You are such an expert on all things so tell me why do you think they are doing that, because they like us? No, because it will halt a worldwide downturn. As a banker said, the financial sector does not belong to Europe but to the world.

That's great. Unfortunately, the EU is Britain's best bet to continue its prosperity. But that wasn't what the Brexit vote was about.

Sky news reports that 52% of those polled still believe stopping immigration is more important than prosperity.

Brexit Sky poll: 52% favour immigration controls over trade

Of course, those responding still have the luxury of tossing rotten tomatoes at their 60" LED smart-telly whenever somebody says something they don't like.

I see by your comment re Hammond that besides economist and political expert you have now undertaken the role of psychologist.

I'm no expert, but I read a lot about it, and study it intently. I love Irony. And the entire Brexit event is full of it.

paulry Oct 3rd 2016 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12067552)
Yup.

Cheap and nasty scaremongering.

vs.

Fact

Fact Check: would the UK have a veto on Turkey joining the EU?

(Put in spoiler due to pic size)

Of course we won't have a veto any more. Those bloody Germans will be able to let anyone in and they will doubtless all rush to the north coast of France ready to embark for the UK and all the waiting freebies.

Here's facts

Cameron: 'UK strongly supports Turkey EU membership bid' - BBC News

WATCH: The PROOF Cameron WANTS Turkey to join the EU… ‘We should back it wholeheartedly' | UK | News | Daily Express

DaveLovesDee Oct 3rd 2016 9:57 pm

Turkey needs to meet 35 conditions before a vote can be considered. These include improving their human rights, and withdrawing completely from Cyprus.

Greece and Cyprus have long memories, and either/both will vote against Turkey joining the EU.

Lion in Winter Oct 3rd 2016 10:14 pm

Oh no! Turkey having to meet standards and become a member of the EU.

This does not alter the fact that the UK, just like every other country, has a veto over members joining. We could not have been forced to accept that by that horrid EU. Well we did have a veto. We won't any more.

The fact that you don't want Turkey to join is neither here nor there. But with the UK out, if they were the only veto, there may well be a lot more Turks much closer to the UK than there were before, with their foreign, Turkish ways.

Lion in Winter Oct 3rd 2016 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12067745)
Turkey needs to meet 35 conditions before a vote can be considered. These include improving their human rights, and withdrawing completely from Cyprus.

Greece and Cyprus have long memories, and either/both will vote against Turkey joining the EU.

To be fair, I don't think Paulry likes Greeks or Cypriots either.

paulry Oct 3rd 2016 11:10 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12067757)
To be fair, I don't think Paulry likes Greeks or Cypriots either.

Point is Turkish membership of the EU is more than just scaremongering - it is a goal, and the majority of British voters quite rightly decided they did not want to be a part of that. The Islamification of Europe will have consequences for generations to come, why can't you see that?

As for suggesting I don't like Greeks and Cypriots (yawn), actually I love them - they have an amazing cultural heritage. What a disgrace that the EU has turned them into paupers :thumbdown:

scrubbedexpat099 Oct 3rd 2016 11:35 pm

Greek police use tear gas on pensioners at anti-austerity protest - BBC News

Greek police use tear gas on pensioners at anti-austerity protest