British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Oct 2nd 2016 7:29 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12066469)
I left in 1976

You left when the Treaty of Utrecht was signed:lol::lol::lol:

Red Eric Oct 2nd 2016 7:37 am

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12066451)
The difference regarding immigration is, that the rules of entry will be the same for non-EU and EU immigrants.

:confused: How can you possibly know that?

There has been plenty of discussion about this and May has refused to pronounce on the matter thus far.

Here's a sample :

No 10 sources said May was still intending to honour the essence of what people voted for by bringing in a system that would be more effective at curbing immigration than the Vote Leave and Ukip idea. Theoretically, this could include a work permit or visa system, restrictions on entry to those with job offers, a quota system or an emergency brake.

However, the prime minister has given no details about how this might be done and has not answered the crucial question of whether the government could give preferential access to EU citizens over those from the rest of the world.

The dilemma for May is that a number of EU states have indicated that the UK will not get preferential terms for trading without accepting at least a degree of free movement for EU citizens.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...britain-brexit

It all depends on the type of Brexit that is eventually decided on.

Fredbargate Oct 2nd 2016 7:42 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12066482)
You left when the Treaty of Utrecht was signed:lol::lol::lol:

Spain's failure to honour that treaty is the main reason I voted to leave the EU

amideislas Oct 2nd 2016 7:49 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12066481)
There's certainly nastiness and fear-mongering and racism in saying (as the post that sparked this discussion off did) that refugees are "****ing up white culture".

There is a longstanding pattern of this "hypocrisy" (for lack of a better term) in the entire brexit mantra.

In this case, offering something blatantly racist (or at the very least, "white supremacist"), then claiming there's nothing racist about it - or even claiming those who feel it's racist are racist themselves.

It's been a pretty consistent narrative from brexiters to make statements that are obviously blatantly untrue or grossly misrepresented, then claim those who call it out to be "liars" or "delusional".

A good example of that is the label "project fear", applied to anyone who disagreed with the blatantly obvious fear campaign of the leave camp (fear of Europe, fear of foreigners, fear of immigration, fear of terrorism, et al).

jimenato Oct 2nd 2016 7:50 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12066484)
:confused: How can you possibly know that?

There has been plenty of discussion about this and May has refused to pronounce on the matter thus far.

Here's a sample :

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...britain-brexit

It all depends on the type of Brexit that is eventually decided on.

It's one of those things that brexiteers think they voted for.

Red Eric Oct 2nd 2016 7:55 am

They'll convince themselves fairly soon that their referendum campaign contained pledges which mustn't be broken ;)

mfesharne Oct 2nd 2016 8:02 am

Looks like May will be making an announcement about the 'Great Repeal Bill' later today. :)

EMR Oct 2nd 2016 8:11 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12066495)
Looks like May will be making an announcement about the 'Great Repeal Bill' later today. :)

She will announce it at the Tory party conference , it is to satisfy them not the general public.
EU laws will become UK law.
BBC news suggests that that will be put to Parliament in the spring, then the fun starts.
The Tories are divided and only have a majority of 12.
The Bill will not become law unil we actually leave when ever that is.

Ingles Oct 2nd 2016 8:19 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12066183)
I was and it was their own free decision unless they were running away from the law or similar to stay free ;)

To be honest ,your comment above could be actionable under UK Law !
So please be very careful in the future OK

I left UK back in the 80's because I was offered the opportunity of a lifetime.

Scamp Oct 2nd 2016 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12066254)
Is there anything more corrupt and rotten than a stinking dictatorial failed con job attempt to build a German Empire by such devious means as at present, having failed at a horrific cost to the whole world on two previous occasions ?

History seems to have taught very little.

Time to come down from your ivory tower Ami and face up to the fact that you are never going to rule Europe, never mind the world, as you watch the whole Eu crock of shite disintegrate and collapse around your lugs.

"Existential Crisis" comes to mind.

:cool:

You're comparing the EU to Hitler's plans?

Just want to check that's actually what you're getting at...

EMR Oct 2nd 2016 8:37 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12066513)
You're comparing the EU to Hitler's plans?

Just want to check that's actually what you're getting at...

Its either Hitler or Stalin, it depends which day he posts.

amideislas Oct 2nd 2016 8:46 am

Another example of the common "brexiteer hypocrisy".

Dick refers to "the German empire" (which is demonstrably nonexistent), yet Brexit is the result of a (naive) dream to recapture Britain's past empirical glory.

Then the "ivory tower". Yet that's a common stereotype of British culture and politics.

Then the "existential crisis", in no small part instigated by Britain's European paranoia, and greatly aggravated by its delusional uber-nationalist campaign to leave.

What's hypocritical about that?

EMR Oct 2nd 2016 8:54 am

Now we know, article 50 will be implimented in 6 months time. May interview on BBC.

Fredbargate Oct 2nd 2016 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Ingles (Post 12066508)
To be honest ,your comment above could be actionable under UK Law !
So please be very careful in the future OK

I left UK back in the 80's because I was offered the opportunity of a lifetime.

:rofl:

Ingles Oct 2nd 2016 9:25 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12066530)
:rofl:

You may laugh , but one off the reasons was to get away from my fellow English people who where so racist & inward looking that they could not see the great work & social life opportunities the EU offered.

Sadly it's now obvious ,that some off theses idiots have relocated out off UK , but still cling on to there in'bread UK mentality & even sadder is, they seem to infest the ExPat WS defending there stance.
Not open minded enough, they all should return to UK & help them sort off the bloody mess the have caused !
But that won't happen will it , because they all "key board warriors" & won't back up there convictions :amen:
This is why I use the word "tosses" to describe them !