British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Assanah Sep 19th 2016 8:12 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12055511)
UK exports of GOODS represents about 10% of GDP. Services exports represent 18%. Total services represent 70% of GDP. 3/4 of those are non exportable public services (e.g., NHS).

Financial services account for nearly 20% of tax revenues. Most of that is in global financial trades with Europe. That's likely to go along with brexit. Along with global corporate HQs established in the UK to conduct business in Europe. And the jobs they support.

Anyone who believes the UK will somehow export its way out of the losses is fooling themselves. .


In the end it doesn't make sense to talk about free trade while dropping the freest trade deal the UK has. I think from the point of view of free traders the UK should simply stay in the EU, enjoy the free trade with the EU and 59 other countries and wait for the commission to finish negotiating more free trade deals. The free trade argument in favor of Brexit is the one that is the least convincing with regards to the benefits of Brexit. I can see some merits to the immigration argument and the taking back control argument – although I do not share them. But the free trade argument is ludicrous.

BTW, one of the problems with negotiating free trade deals between the EU and other countries is actually the UKs desire for free trade in services. It is much, much easier to negotiate a free trade agreement in goods. But that is of no real interest to the UK. One major stumbling block (among others) in the negotiations with India for example is the UK demands that India opens its markets for services. Once the UK finally leaves the EU we might as well see that the EU-India trade deal will be signed much faster.

Assanah Sep 19th 2016 8:14 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 
An article about Brexit and regulation:



Brexit and EU regulation: A bonfire of the vanities? | Centre for European Reform

paulry Sep 19th 2016 8:20 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12055927)
Shit. All this time I thought this was British Expats.....but it's German Expats?

I hear Ami is really a German Expat :nod:

amideislas Sep 19th 2016 8:26 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Well, Obama was born in Kenya...

paulry Sep 19th 2016 8:28 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by GeniB (Post 12056000)
Arn't you sounding a little 'Hell Hitler' yourself there Dick.. Come on..ALL migrants? would that include you if you should want the democratic right to move to Germany? O r is it only those of a race you don't approve of? should we all stay in our little 'white' boxes in your world then ?

https://fellowshipofminds.files.word.../race-card.jpg

amideislas Sep 19th 2016 9:01 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Germans aren't a "race". So, I reckon hating them can't be considered "racism".

Bloody foreigners though. Is that "foreignism"? Or just the usual "fog in the channel"?

Bipat Sep 19th 2016 10:26 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12056001)
In the end it doesn't make sense to talk about free trade while dropping the freest trade deal the UK has. I think from the point of view of free traders the UK should simply stay in the EU, enjoy the free trade with the EU and 59 other countries and wait for the commission to finish negotiating more free trade deals. The free trade argument in favor of Brexit is the one that is the least convincing with regards to the benefits of Brexit. I can see some merits to the immigration argument and the taking back control argument – although I do not share them. But the free trade argument is ludicrous.

BTW, one of the problems with negotiating free trade deals between the EU and other countries is actually the UKs desire for free trade in services. It is much, much easier to negotiate a free trade agreement in goods. But that is of no real interest to the UK. One major stumbling block (among others) in the negotiations with India for example is the UK demands that India opens its markets for services. Once the UK finally leaves the EU we might as well see that the EU-India trade deal will be signed much faster.

Indian market is open for services.
Trade has always gone on with the UK, deal worth £9 billion took place late last year, trade will only increase after Brexit.
Regarding the EU-India potential deal, why would the UK leaving make this faster?? Indian duties on cars, wines and spirits and EU hindering the Indian generic drug industry were major concerns among other things.

Fredbargate Sep 19th 2016 10:36 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Theresa May will criticise the West's response to the migration crisis when she addresses world leaders later.

At a UN summit in New York, she will call for a greater distinction between refugees and people trying to enter a country for economic reasons.

The PM will also say refugees should claim asylum in the first safe country they reach and stress that nations have a right to control their borders.

Theresa May urges new approach to migrant crisis at UN summit - BBC News

Assanah Sep 19th 2016 10:37 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12056074)
Indian market is open for services.
Trade has always gone on with the UK, deal worth £9 billion took place late last year, trade will only increase after Brexit.
Regarding the EU-India potential deal, why would the UK leaving make this faster?? Indian duties on cars, wines and spirits and EU hindering the Indian generic drug industry were major concerns among other things.

The UK leaving might make it easier because we have one issue less to discuss with the Indians - the service industry.

Who says that a free trade deal with India will mean more trade for the UK? It didn't mean more trade for Japan and Korea after signing a free trade deal with India. The amount of trade actually fell after signing the agreement.

Scamp Sep 19th 2016 10:43 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by paulry (Post 12056012)
I hear Ami is really a German Expat :nod:

I'm just going to enjoy this thread now, there's nothing serious being said in here. Not even any real if/but/maybe type comments. It's just point scoring and us being called sore losers and you lot being called bigots or idiots, which is sort of fun I guess.

Now, what did we decide majority meant?

amideislas Sep 19th 2016 11:12 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 12056079)
Theresa May will criticise the West's response to the migration crisis when she addresses world leaders later.

At a UN summit in New York, she will call for a greater distinction between refugees and people trying to enter a country for economic reasons.

The PM will also say refugees should claim asylum in the first safe country they reach and stress that nations have a right to control their borders.

Theresa May urges new approach to migrant crisis at UN summit - BBC News


It's true. On this side of the Atlantic, Britain has exhibited shocking difficulty distinguishing between the two. So, that's good advice - especially for Britain.

But, if that's the message, I'd think it would be wise to use terminology which reflects that distinction. "Migrants" are generally those who move from place to place for economic reasons, while "Refugees" are fleeing wars and generally, the threat of death.

Right, then. "New approach to Migrant Crisis". Back to square one.

jimenato Sep 19th 2016 11:25 am

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12056074)
Indian market is open for services.
Trade has always gone on with the UK, deal worth £9 billion took place late last year, trade will only increase after Brexit.
Regarding the EU-India potential deal, why would the UK leaving make this faster?? Indian duties on cars, wines and spirits and EU hindering the Indian generic drug industry were major concerns among other things.

Well lets's hope India is open to services as Brexit is going to finish of manufacturing in the UK.

Bipat Sep 19th 2016 12:08 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12056105)
Well lets's hope India is open to services as Brexit is going to finish of manufacturing in the UK.

It is!!

Bipat Sep 19th 2016 12:27 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 12056081)
The UK leaving might make it easier because we have one issue less to discuss with the Indians - the service industry.

Who says that a free trade deal with India will mean more trade for the UK? It didn't mean more trade for Japan and Korea after signing a free trade deal with India. The amount of trade actually fell after signing the agreement.

You keep saying the same thing!!! India does import services.

As I pointed out the main problems for the EU were duties on cars, wines/spirits, also visas, EU wanted easier access for business people, (actually this has recently improved in more than one way -this may make it easier for an agreement--not Brexit). There were problems on both sides --a deal is two-way!!

"Who says free trade deal with India will mean more trade" --Smt. Sitharaman for one!! British have an ongoing relationship with India.

Japan----
Japan and India sign bullet train deal amid closer ties - BBC News
Wish this was already in place ---going to Ahmedabad next month!!

jimenato Sep 19th 2016 12:29 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12056131)
It is!!

Brexit is going to finish off manufacturing in the UK?


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:46 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.