British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

amideislas Sep 16th 2016 11:59 am

re: Post EU Referendum

So, Britain is leaving the EU dictatorship to join China instead?

la mancha Sep 16th 2016 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12053571)
Their willingness to sacrifice for the country knows no bounds, and I'm sure that will be of great consolation to the homeless.

Ask yourself why people are homeless.

la mancha Sep 16th 2016 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12053813)
Well, well - now that is odd.

Whenever a remainer mentions - even in passing - scenarios in which they may be adversely affected, they're accused of being greedy and selfish.

By contrast, there's quite a theory passing around Leavers at the moment which says that they voted to go selflessly and despite the fact that they know they personally will lose out but that they did so for the good of their country.

I guess it had to come out eventually. Like the one about the NHS.

Not odd but realistic. When one has nothing and is given the chance for change they will take it. Theories are one thing, reality another. Yes, people may lose out in the short-term with Brexit but they are willing to go through this for the good of the future of their country. A brighter future gives them hope for their lot in their now miserable lives rather than listening to the whine of the rich about how Brexit will affect everyone, meaning them personally. The people who voted out are only concerned for themselves, not those who told them a pack of lies mingled with threats. Some on here like only to remember the stories the Leave campaign brought up, but let us not forget the lies Remain told us with a straight face. Like the one about WW3. Or genocide. Or…or…or…

People who voted out did so for a better future.

amideislas Sep 16th 2016 12:59 pm

You still haven't been able to identify what that upside "better future" is.

Lion in Winter Sep 16th 2016 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12053966)
Not odd but realistic. When one has nothing and is given the chance for change they will take it. Theories are one thing, reality another. Yes, people may lose out in the short-term with Brexit but they are willing to go through this for the good of the future of their country. A brighter future gives them hope for their lot in their now miserable lives rather than listening to the whine of the rich about how Brexit will affect everyone, meaning them personally. The people who voted out are only concerned for themselves, not those who told them a pack of lies mingled with threats. Some on here like only to remember the stories the Leave campaign brought up, but let us not forget the lies Remain told us with a straight face. Like the one about WW3. Or genocide. Or…or…or…

People who voted out did so for a better future.

People who voted in also did so for a better future.

It's a pretty big and arrogant assumption to think that people who voted out are only concerned for themselves. Not to mention I have no idea where or how you got that data.

Secondly, and even more importantly, there is no evidence at all to suggest that leaving the EU will better the lot of the UK's poor. That is under the control of us and our own government, as it always was, and there is no reason to suppose that the vast, multinational business interests that direct the UK's agenda, domestic and foreign, are suddenly going to become altruistic because we leave the EU.

Lion in Winter Sep 16th 2016 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12053962)

I do. It's an area I work in, among others.

And the answer is not Germany, foreigners, or the EU.

EMR Sep 16th 2016 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12053962)

Do you mean now or ever since statistics were kept.

la mancha Sep 16th 2016 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12053967)
You still haven't been able to identify what that upside "better future" is.

When one has nothing one has nothing more to lose so anything else is better. If you have never been in that position then you would not know what I am talking about. Many of those who voted out do know. The better future is hope, something they do not have at the moment.

la mancha Sep 16th 2016 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12053970)
People who voted in also did so for a better future.

It's a pretty big and arrogant assumption to think that people who voted out are only concerned for themselves. Not to mention I have no idea where or how you got that data.

Secondly, and even more importantly, there is no evidence at all to suggest that leaving the EU will better the lot of the UK's poor. That is under the control of us and our own government, as it always was, and there is no reason to suppose that the vast, multinational business interests that direct the UK's agenda, domestic and foreign, are suddenly going to become altruistic because we leave the EU.

Yes, for themselves. So did those working in poverty.

Why is it arrogant to think people who voted out are only concerned for themselves? My information is what I have learned from talking to people pre- and post-referendum.

As for no evidence to suggest that leaving the EU will better the lot of the poor, it cannot make life worse for them because they have nothing. Don’t you understand the word ‘nothing’? No, it is not under our control, something which has been discussed so many times previous on here and across the country pre-referendum.

la mancha Sep 16th 2016 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12053971)
I do. It's an area I work in, among others.

And the answer is not Germany, foreigners, or the EU.

Then what is it?

la mancha Sep 16th 2016 1:34 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12053972)
Do you mean now or ever since statistics were kept.

I mean in the New Forest. That area is what we are discussing.

Lion in Winter Sep 16th 2016 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12053982)
Then what is it?

Lack of interest on the part of us and our government in doing anything about it.

Nobody really ****ing cares. If they did, it wouldn't be that way. We pour trillions of pounds into some things, and little or nothing into others. That's a choice. Even if, mysteriously, leaving the EU caused the coffers of the British government to fill to bursting, why should they suddenly start spending it on people they have been ignoring for decades?

In the New Forest, there are camps of people ages about 16 - 25. Young people. The charity I work for provides housing, as much as it can. Nothing beats seeing a young man seizing in the front office from taking "legal highs". No functional schooling, nowhere to live, no job, and no hope. You mean that the EU or migrant workers somehow caused that? Rubbish.

mikelincs Sep 16th 2016 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12053989)
Lack of interest on the part of us and our government in doing anything about it.

Nobody really ****ing cares. If they did, it wouldn't be that way. We pour trillions of pounds into some things, and little or nothing into others. That's a choice. Even if, mysteriously, leaving the EU caused the coffers of the British government to fill to bursting, why should they suddenly start spending it on people they have been ignoring for decades?

In the New Forest, there are camps of people ages about 16 - 25. Young people. The charity I work for provides housing, as much as it can. Nothing beats seeing a young man seizing in the front office from taking "legal highs". No functional schooling, nowhere to live, no job, and no hope. You mean that the EU or migrant workers somehow caused that? Rubbish.

Well Nige did say the UK would be 350million a week better off, perhaps some of that could be earmarked. :lol:

Lion in Winter Sep 16th 2016 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12053992)
Well Nige did say the UK would be 350million a week better off, perhaps some of that could be earmarked. :lol:

Let's just say that I'm not holding my breath for anything that that fraud said to happen. He earns about 85 thousand pounds a year from his MEP job and thousands more in expenses. I'm sure he cares a lot about the homeless.

SultanOfSwing Sep 16th 2016 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12053920)
and all those Turks too. Driving around Manchester with all those free EU-law benefit range rovers, clogging up traffic.

Jeezus, when will it end?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ChpCUZyXAAEbZpN.jpg

Quite literally all the Turks, by the looks of it :lol:

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12053989)
Nobody really ****ing cares.

Absolutely ****ing this. It's disgraceful that the level of homelessness in nations like the UK and the US is so high and there is no good reason why these people can't be helped and housed.

But why focus on the real problems like homelessness, poverty, climate change anyway? I'm telling you, EU migration and Syrian refugees are going to look like a ****ing picnic when the first waves of climate change refugees start heading north ...