British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

DaveLovesDee Sep 15th 2016 6:44 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12053365)
Surely it's better to accept the situation & instead discuss the really important issues?

Which according to the front pages of today's media has been Great British Bake Off going to Channel 4!

SultanOfSwing Sep 15th 2016 6:44 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12053365)
I'm all for discussing the important aspects of Brexit & post Brexit but f you care to review the posts more or less immediately above (what I consider) my rather witty meme, you'll see most had reverted to the same silly complaints & petty insults we've had for the last 3.5K posts......... and there's no point in those. - If nothing else, it's all been said several times before.

Surely it's better to accept the situation & instead discuss the really important issues?

Immediately above that was a post from EMR that seemed pretty harmless, then a conversation between Bipat and I, which I thought was reasonably civil. Actually, I was taking care not to be too much of an arsehole during our exchange.


Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12053365)
...(what I consider) my rather witty meme...

:lol:

Oh, bloody hell! I guess if you made it yourself, I'll concede on the originality, but honestly I thought it kind of ruined a rather calm and polite morning, my facetiousness aside.

DaveLovesDee Sep 15th 2016 6:53 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Lack of Brexit effects proves Brexit has not yet happened

DaveLovesDee Sep 15th 2016 6:58 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
1 Attachment(s)
Vogue. :p

mfesharne Sep 15th 2016 7:03 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Good to see some humour for a change. :) :) :)

la mancha Sep 15th 2016 7:05 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12053356)
Maybe, maybe not but nationalism and isolationism have no real place in the world anymore.

Unchecked, jingoistic patriotism is stupid as well. You are from where you're from because of an accident of birth, due to the nationality and/or location of the crotch you fell out of. Acting like you owe some strip of land anything is ridiculous.



No, I don't. Same way I can't understand why people can eat bananas, but they do.

I'll wager a great many people who voted leave can't really adequately explain why they did either.

Who wants nationalism, isolationism or overdone jingoistic patriotism? Those who voted out don’t want them, either.

They know exactly why they voted out. You underestimate the anger and astuteness of those who voted out in the same way Cameron and the Remain camp did.

la mancha Sep 15th 2016 7:09 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12053363)
I was suggesting that the country might have been better served by addressing those problems.

I was further suggesting that those who wrap themselves in the flag might consider instead doing something to actually help the British people.

I loathe hypocrisy.

They do: they voted out.

Dick Dasterdly Sep 15th 2016 7:09 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 


Excellent speech.
Well worth a listen.

SultanOfSwing Sep 15th 2016 7:15 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12053398)
Who wants nationalism, isolationism or overdone jingoistic patriotism? Those who voted out don’t want them, either.

You've obviously never been to America ...

I didn't say it was the majority, but the sentiment is rising all over the world and it's unsettling, whichever side of the fence you are on. One would think we'd have learned from the past, etc.


Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12053398)
They know exactly why they voted out. You underestimate the anger and astuteness of those who voted out in the same way Cameron and the Remain camp did.

Maybe, or maybe I really don't care, either. Don't forget, I'm not resident in the UK anymore, nor do I pay taxes there. As far as the UK is concerned, I don't exist and my opinion is irrelevant.

I could say every leave voter voted twice and it wouldn't matter a single little bit.

la mancha Sep 15th 2016 7:20 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12053413)
You've obviously never been to America ...

I didn't say it was the majority, but the sentiment is rising all over the world and it's unsettling, whichever side of the fence you are on. One would think we'd have learned from the past, etc.



Maybe, or maybe I really don't care, either. Don't forget, I'm not resident in the UK anymore, nor do I pay taxes there. As far as the UK is concerned, I don't exist and my opinion is irrelevant.

I could say every leave voter voted twice and it wouldn't matter a single little bit.

I am speaking only in terms of those who voted out in the referendum, not America or the rest of the world.

If you don’t care why make me waste my time answering you? (Sarcasm on)

SultanOfSwing Sep 15th 2016 7:26 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12053419)
I am speaking only in terms of those who voted out in the referendum, not America or the rest of the world.

You can't speak for all 17 million of them any more than I can. Those attitudes exist in the UK, always have. Of course a percentage of leave voters will have been people who held them.


Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12053419)
If you don’t care why make me waste my time answering you? (Sarcasm on)

That's your choice ... :whistle:

la mancha Sep 15th 2016 7:32 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12053425)
You can't speak for all 17 million of them any more than I can. Those attitudes exist in the UK, always have. Of course a percentage of leave voters will have been people who held them.



That's your choice ... :whistle:

You’re right. I may as well watch paint dry. As least there will be a result at the end of it.

SultanOfSwing Sep 15th 2016 7:37 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12053427)
You’re right. I may as well watch paint dry. As least there will be a result at the end of it.

Don't cut yourself on that edge.

jimenato Sep 15th 2016 7:39 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 
Did someone mention the vote again? Did they point out the winning margin? Was it the first time the vote had been mentioned since the last time the same person mentioned it?

Some people should learn to MOVE ON. We all have.:rolleyes:

EMR Sep 15th 2016 7:55 pm

re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12053427)
You’re right. I may as well watch paint dry. As least there will be a result at the end of it.

At least you know that paint will dry , but like everyone who voted, leave or remain you have no clue what form brexit will finally take.


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:57 am.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.