British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

jimenato Sep 15th 2016 9:42 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12052883)
I think jim was mocking the Leave side's likely reaction :p

;)

By the way did they win?:confused:

jimenato Sep 15th 2016 9:48 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12052890)
Comments please? ;)

UKIP leader Nigel Farage warns Britain would have been dragged into Juncker's EU army | UK | News | Daily Express

IIRC; didn't Clegg(?) say Farage was lying when he predicted an EU military force?

I think we should look forward.

amideislas Sep 15th 2016 9:53 am

Comments please? ;)

UKIP leader Nigel Farage warns Britain would have been dragged into Juncker's EU army | UK | News | Daily Express

IIRC; didn't Clegg(?) say Farage was lying when he predicted an EU military force?

I don't know how anyone could say a European army is unlikely. It's actually a damned good idea. Pool your resources and operations. Economies of scale. Greater than the sum of the parts. And frankly, a necessity for the long term. I'm not sure why there's so much fear of that. Makes good sense.

But Britain need not worry. Brexit is brexit.

EMR Sep 15th 2016 10:08 am

Comments please? ;)

You really do believe anything if it is in the Express putting aside it came from quasi racist Farage.

If you want to be taken seriously find a better source of your information.

Like the Times, or is that to hard a read for you.

Obviously the Express is unaware of an organisation called NATO.

jimenato Sep 15th 2016 10:33 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12052900)
I don't know how anyone could say a European army is unlikely. It's actually a damned good idea. Pool your resources and operations. Economies of scale. Greater than the sum of the parts. And frankly, a necessity for the long term. I'm not sure why there's so much fear of that. Makes good sense.

...not forgetting of course that, contrary to the lies still being told by the stupid Brexiteers, Cameron secured us an exemption from further integration so even if they are creating an EU army we needn't have been involved - we might have even been able to veto it.

Anyway, looking forward :rolleyes:, now it will probably happen anyway and we will have no say in it whatever.

DaveLovesDee Sep 15th 2016 10:35 am

Comments please? ;)

The headline doesn't reflect Juncker's actual words

Juncker - State of the Union

But Mr Juncker today raised the prospect on a continent-wide military.

He said: "We must have a European headquarters and so we should work toward a common military force.

"This should be in complement with NATO."

He added: "From an economic point of view, bringing together our military resources could be clearly justified.

"We could use cooperation because the lack of cooperation is something that is costing Europe 20 to 100 billion euros a year."

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12052900)

We already deploy British forces as part of EU battlegroups, a concept originally put forward by the UK, Germany and France.

Lion in Winter Sep 15th 2016 10:42 am

It

Comments please? ;)

Comments? Sure.

1. Juncker Is not King. Just because he thinks it's a good idea doesn't mean there will be one any more than when a lone MP suggests sonething in the Commons. There does not exactly appear to be a groundswell of support for the idea.

2. The Brexit vote is responsible for breathing new life into him on this issue. The UK had always opposed the idea but now that we say we're going will no longer have a say in the matter, so if you don't want the EU to have its own command centre then you just made a big mistake by voting out.

3. Promoting European cohesion and preventing European countries from going to war with each other seems like a worthy goal after the last few centuries, so military collaboration could be a step towards that.

4. If Europe goes to war, to think that the UK would not become involved in it with or without the "joint army" is fantasy. Or are you a Chamberlain fan?

Brexit vote revives dream of EU army - BBC News

Ingles Sep 15th 2016 11:02 am

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12052392)
It would not when you have the bigoted quasi racist campaign of Farage and the NHS lies that appealed to those who probably never gave a few seconds thought if any at all to considering the details of the negotiations..

Oh but they will do, when they get there €'s for this or next years holiday & find they can only tank down 8 pints a night instead off 12 due to the price.
Mind you ,they will blame the "wogs" any way :lol:
Short sighted & tunnel vision.

Ingles Sep 15th 2016 11:17 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12052828)
I'm not sure how we so magically got from Brexit to immigration overnight?

P'raps you guys felt you needed to change tack because you've finally grasped the idea of how democracy works? - Though I doubt it!

But yes, I'd say that what's happening in & around the Calais jungle etc makes it glaringly bleedin' obvious that the UK needs to improve border security wouldn't you?

Democracy at work :- Should we hold a Vote as to whether

Yes:- Turn up at "mfesharne" property & discuss face to face with him, not Post Brexit but Pre Brexit
(home address is on all off it's post)

No:- Just ignore the silly bugger

Up to you voters, what will it be ?

Dick Dasterdly Sep 15th 2016 11:35 am

Another fine day in the People's Republic.

Surprise, surprise,

I see your Great Leader in one of his more sober moments has chosen a notorious Brit Hater to lead the so called negotiations.

I feel sure such like minded folk on B.E. will welcome that news with great relief.

Nothing like starting as you mean to go on, eh.

:cool:

The EU's federalists are heading for defeat. Britain must be ready to pick up the pieces

EMR Sep 15th 2016 11:52 am

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12052969)
Another fine day in the People's Republic.

Surprise, surprise,

I see your Great Leader in one of his more sober moments has chosen a notorious Brit Hater to lead the so called negotiations.

I feel sure such like minded folk on B.E. will welcome that news with great relief.

Nothing like starting as you mean to go on, eh.

:cool:

The EU's federalists are heading for defeat. Britain must be ready to pick up the pieces

Your logic is questionable.

When the UK is no longer part of the EU why should itnpick up the pieces of your latest fantasy..
Are you suggesting now that the UK remain and take over leadership of the EU.

amideislas Sep 15th 2016 11:55 am

That would be a shame, especially for post-brexit Britain.

Europe as a united federal republic would not only be far more economically secure, but would be far more immune to its chronic crises, would have a more evenly distributed economy (there would be no "Greek crisis" for example), it would be able to far better manage its borders with a federal border force, and necessarily, would be far more "democratic" in much the same way America is (you can argue how "democratic" America or Britain or anywhere else is, but that's the standard the EU is always compared).

That scenario would officially make Europe the world's largest economy, or at least in the top 3. It would be a key member of the G7, have global political clout, and particularly with respect to American power.

And Britain? Europe would be Britain's best possible trading partner. Europe would no longer have an existential unity crisis, and therefore, no barriers to establishing comprehensive trade arrangements with Britain for fear it would be "unfair" to member states.

Other than naive nationalist fear, I don't know why the idea of a federal Europe is so scary. Britain will never be a part of it anyway, so why does it scare Britain so much? It's the best case scenario for Britain.

Dick Dasterdly Sep 15th 2016 11:57 am

David Cameron's aides accused of offering honours, jobs and contracts if high-profile figures joined Remain - Mirror Online

No great surprise there from Dodgy Dave.

Lion in Winter Sep 15th 2016 12:37 pm

Brexit: No substantive talks for 12 months, Herman Van Rompuy predicts - BBC News

Goal posts seem to be moving further away by the minute.

Lion in Winter Sep 15th 2016 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly (Post 12052969)

But I thought they were going to come crawling because we hold all the good cards?