British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Sep 15th 2016 8:09 am

re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12052821)
They should but I'll bet they won't........ Praps what they really need is some grief counselling to help them get over themselves? :lol:

Either that or a good kick up the arse to teach 'em their rights are no more important and any other burgers! ;)

Has Brexit happened yet yes or no?

What economic effects have there been for something that is yet to happen. The only ones who will need grief counselling will be our ultra brexiters, usually non resident in the Uk when the reality of brexit emerges.

mfesharne Sep 15th 2016 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12052819)
Does the UK need to improve border security?

I thought mostly what it wants to do is to reduce immigration, which is a rather different matter.

I'm not sure how we so magically got from Brexit to immigration overnight?

P'raps you guys felt you needed to change tack because you've finally grasped the idea of how democracy works? - Though I doubt it!

But yes, I'd say that what's happening in & around the Calais jungle etc makes it glaringly bleedin' obvious that the UK needs to improve border security wouldn't you?

Scamp Sep 15th 2016 8:16 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12052821)
They should but I'll bet they won't........ Praps what they really need is some grief counselling to help them get over themselves? :lol:

Either that or a good kick up the arse to teach 'em their rights are no more important and any other burgers! ;)

The vote stuff is really boring, everyone knows the result. It's boring for either side to bring it up.

What was interesting on the news this morning was the chat around the guy (forget his name) who will apparently lead on negotiations for the EU with Britain for some / all of the areas.

He has a tough reputation and sounded like someone not willing to concede much ground.

I predict that it will be a balanced scorecard when it's done. The UK will chest thump that the deals are great. The EU will chest thump the same and depending who you choose to believe, you (the proverbial) will do the same.

I reckon there will be real positives for the UK hopefully and I think there will be real negatives. Both means that both 'camps' from campaigning will have ended up getting not what was promised at all in some areas and having to concede things that people may have cast their vote based on (if that makes sense).

The pressure from the EU won't fall though. The message yesterday was a resounding - "get on with it".

Red Eric Sep 15th 2016 8:18 am

When did Calais become part of the UK border? And how will a visa system do anything to reinforce that border?

Red Eric Sep 15th 2016 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12052832)
What was interesting on the news this morning was the chat around the guy (forget his name) who will apparently lead on negotiations for the EU with Britain for some / all of the areas.

Guy Verhofstadt

jimenato Sep 15th 2016 8:35 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12052834)
When did Calais become part of the UK border? And how will a visa system do anything to reinforce that border?

It is to all intents and purposes part of the UK border. I expect the Brexiteers would prefer it to be repatriated to Kent - that would improve things.

By the way, did you realise they won the referendum?

amideislas Sep 15th 2016 8:36 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12052834)

Well, the French agreed to allow UK customs to operate on the Calais side to prevent asylum claims on British soil, which the UK would be forced to process (a UN convention, having nothing to do with the EU at all).

Of course, that's likely to vanish now too. So, there will be a significant increase in refugees claiming asylum in the UK, simply by boarding a ferry...

But at least the "jungle" will no longer exist. The French will be happy about that.

DaveLovesDee Sep 15th 2016 8:38 am

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12052796)
Note I deliberately didn't refer to the name of the visa that isn't a visa that the Yanks use but whatever it's called, it does very obviously entail a security check.

Check the links I provided that showed the Muslim family were refused travel because one of the addresses they provided had previously been linked to a terrorist website!

Moral of the tale is that anyone's information may deny them entry even if the information is wrong or was nothing to do with them.

How does anyone know whether the information held is accurate, and how does one prove it had nothing to do with them to be able to fly?

Originally Posted by mfesharne (Post 12052828)
I'm not sure how we so magically got from Brexit to immigration overnight?

I thought immigration control was one of the reasons people voted Leave.

But yes, I'd say that what's happening in & around the Calais jungle etc makes it glaringly bleedin' obvious that the UK needs to improve border security wouldn't you?
Actually, no. The French government needs to deal with the 'Jungle' camps. The UK needs to bring it's immigration officers back this side of the channel.

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12052836)
Guy Verhofstadt

Gesundheit!

amideislas Sep 15th 2016 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Scamp (Post 12052832)

The UK will chest thump that the deals are great.

The UK already did negotiate the graviest terms in the EU (while maintaining unfettered single market access) but that was widely scorned as "nothing". So, referendum it was (and we know the result, mfe, no need to post the vote numbers again).

Now that deal is off the table, it will be interesting to see how the 3 musketeers fare in maintaining unfettered access to the single market without any of the burdens.

I'd guess if a deal is struck, it will likely be something less that what the UK negotiated previously.

Scamp Sep 15th 2016 8:55 am

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12052836)
Guy Verhofstadt

Thanks.

DaveLovesDee Sep 15th 2016 8:57 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12052851)
The UK already did negotiate the graviest terms in the EU (while maintaining unfettered single market access) but that was widely scorned as "nothing". So, referendum it was (and we know the result, mfe, no need to post the vote numbers again).

Now that deal is off the table, it will be interesting to see how the 3 musketeers fare in maintaining unfettered access to the single market without any of the burdens.

I'd guess if a deal is struck, it will likely be something less that what the UK negotiated previously.

It think it's also worth reminding ourselves that single-market access will still mean that goods sold in the EU will still have to meet EU standards and carry the CE mark.

jimenato Sep 15th 2016 9:14 am

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12052857)
It think it's also worth reminding ourselves that single-market access will still mean that goods sold in the EU will still have to meet EU standards and carry the CE mark.

No! No!

We will be free of EU diktats from the faceless un-elected bureaucrats in Brussels. :eek:

Remember - they won.

mikelincs Sep 15th 2016 9:19 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12052870)
No! No!

We will be free of EU diktats from the faceless un-elected bureaucrats in Brussels. :eek:

Remember - they won.

No, if EU countries decide that all goods exported from the UK to EU countries MUST fulfill the safety and quality levels that are the CE mark, then they will all have to pass the tests, being outside the EU will NOT negate that.

DaveLovesDee Sep 15th 2016 9:31 am

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 12052878)
No, if EU countries decide that all goods exported from the UK to EU countries MUST fulfill the safety and quality levels that are the CE mark, then they will all have to pass the tests, being outside the EU will NOT negate that.

I think jim was mocking the Leave side's likely reaction :p

mfesharne Sep 15th 2016 9:41 am

Comments please? ;)

UKIP leader Nigel Farage warns Britain would have been dragged into Juncker's EU army | UK | News | Daily Express

IIRC; didn't Clegg(?) say Farage was lying when he predicted an EU military force?