British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

jimenato May 8th 2018 12:53 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12495990)
Trust me, Tesco does notice a £1,000 loss in a week. But like you say, it doesn't affect their profitability as much as it affects the little guy's......

£1,000 loss a week is usually a good week in a single large Tesco. It can be double that.

I said loss of (i.e. drop in) turnover.

Tescos turns over £1/2bn per week in total - that's around £500,000 per store - they ain't gonna miss a reduction of £1000 in turnover anywhere near as much as a corner shop which only turns over a few grand.

DigitalGhost May 8th 2018 1:03 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12496023)
The point of my post was that the article didn't come from China!!! It was a presumably British journalist! David Brown?

But on this occasion he is writing for a Chinese newspaper and is no doubt therefore answerable to a Chinese editorial team. When he starts writing articles that are critical of Xi Jinping or are in support of the Falun Gong then I will believe that his published views are entirely unbiased. Until then, I would take everything published by a Chinese outlet with a pinch of salt, even if it was written by a westerner.

Red Eric May 8th 2018 1:25 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12495879)
I can't work out whether you are being disingenuous here ...

...

If you really believe it I'm surprised you fell for it.

Yes, it's always a tough call, isn't it?

However, despite the incessant repeating of the idiot babble, which might give one cause to suspect if not gullibility then certainly susceptibility, I'd be inclined to go with the disingenuity. It is their stock-in-trade, after all. And who can blame them? Look at what they're trying to palm us off with. Nobody's going to openly tout that and claim they know full well what's at the heart of it, are they?

amideislas May 8th 2018 1:40 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12495754)
You're being childish as usual.

The FTA will allow both parties to sell their goods and services for no tariffs and non-tariff barriers. As the UK buys more from the EU than it sells to it, it will benefit the EU more in absolute terms.


​​​​​​Aside from the fact that Britain consumes only about 6% of what the EU exports (although that accounts for more than half of what Britain imports), why in the world would Britain stop buying European goods? It's all but entirely dependent on it. It doesn't appear to be much of a motivation to give the UK some crackin' deal. Especially one as sweet as it currently enjoys. Was probably not a good idea to give the UK all those concessions in the first place.

​​​​

Bipat May 8th 2018 2:08 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12496032)
It was in a Chinese newspaper with a circulation of tens millions if not more.
why any different from your Indian newspapers with their pro brexit stance.

I don't know of any newspaper there that has either a pro brexit or a pro remain stance!
The journalists that have articles published are usually well known individuals. In fact I think there have probably been more pro remain articles!! (I haven't counted!)

EMR May 8th 2018 2:29 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12496089)
I don't know of any newspaper there that has either a pro brexit or a pro remain stance!
The journalists that have articles published are usually well known individuals. In fact I think there have probably been more pro remain articles!! (I haven't counted!)

All those stories about post brexit trade, new opportunities etc etc, unlike the figures in the Chinese newspaper little basis in fact.
I can,t recall you posting one pro remain article.

amideislas May 8th 2018 2:31 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12496089)
I don't know of any newspaper there that has either a pro brexit or a pro remain stance!
The journalists that have articles published are usually well known individuals. In fact I think there have probably been more pro remain articles!! (I haven't counted!)


Other than say, fox news or RT, what non-UK news media has exhibited any pro-Brexit slant?

You see, there are other countries and nationalities. And not everyone harbours the English nationalism that's led so many Brits to ignore reality to justify Brexit (nor do they all wish they were English).

Outside of Britain, nobody feels the need to find ways to justify Brexit. They just see the reality of it, scratch their heads wondering what the hell they're thinking, and naturally, try to make some sense of it. They don't have the need to justify it. And that explains a lot about why the only place you find any numbers of people who believe Brexit is somehow a good thing ... is on that island off the coast of Europe.

Bipat May 8th 2018 2:48 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12496097)
All those stories about post brexit trade, new opportunities etc etc, unlike the figures in the Chinese newspaper little basis in fact.
I can,t recall you posting one pro remain article.

Be accurate, the article in the Chinese newspaper by an unknown Westerner was an opinion regarding Brexit as such. It gave a few recent statistics.

As I said There were/are articles in Indian newspapers giving views on both leaving and remaining. People have different views----Why would I post an article stating that Remain would have been better?? --do you post articles praising Brexit?? There are differing views on the referendum result EMR, points for discussion from BOTH sides!

The links regarding post Brexit trade and opportunities often referred to Ministerial speeches, and were certainly based on "fact".

jimenato May 8th 2018 2:58 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12496071)
​​​​​​Aside from the fact that Britain consumes only about 6% of what the EU exports (although that accounts for more than half of what Britain imports), why in the world would Britain stop buying European goods? It's all but entirely dependent on it. It doesn't appear to be much of a motivation to give the UK some crackin' deal. Especially one as sweet as it currently enjoys. Was probably not a good idea to give the UK all those concessions in the first place.

​​​​

​​​​​​Of course aside from vague generalities like 'satisfactory' and 'suitable' no-one is actually saying what a 'good' deal for the UK will actually comprise. This will allow them to claim that just about any cobbled together arrangement is 'good'.

Bipat May 8th 2018 3:03 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12496099)
Other than say, fox news or RT, what non-UK news media has exhibited any pro-Brexit slant?

You see, there are other countries and nationalities. And not everyone harbours the English nationalism that's led so many Brits to ignore reality to justify Brexit (nor do they all wish they were English).

Outside of Britain, nobody feels the need to find ways to justify Brexit. They just see the reality of it, scratch their heads wondering what the hell they're thinking, and naturally, try to make some sense of it. They don't have the need to justify it. And that explains a lot about why the only place you find any numbers of people who believe Brexit is somehow a good thing ... is on that island off the coast of Europe.

Since the result of the referendum Brexit/Remain has been discussed regularly in Indian newspapers. With opinions on both sides! There are countries outside of the European continent you know, many of them have TV and newspapers!! (I have put many links on the 'other thread'!)

EMR May 8th 2018 3:47 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12496117)
Since the result of the referendum Brexit/Remain has been discussed regularly in Indian newspapers. With opinions on both sides! There are countries outside of the European continent you know, many of them have TV and newspapers!! (I have put many links on the 'other thread'!)

Exactly so why are you questioning the views in a leading Chinese paper, quoting UK givernment statistics.
There are countries outside of India, many have TV and newspapers..

la mancha May 8th 2018 4:10 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12496099)
Other than say, fox news or RT, what non-UK news media has exhibited any pro-Brexit slant?

You see, there are other countries and nationalities. And not everyone harbours the English nationalism that's led so many Brits to ignore reality to justify Brexit (nor do they all wish they were English).

Outside of Britain, nobody feels the need to find ways to justify Brexit. They just see the reality of it, scratch their heads wondering what the hell they're thinking, and naturally, try to make some sense of it. They don't have the need to justify it. And that explains a lot about why the only place you find any numbers of people who believe Brexit is somehow a good thing ... is on that island off the coast of Europe.

You are looking at this with a slanted view. Brexit is British. It is a mainly British concern. The same way Spain cannot form a majority government and the Cataluna problem is a Spanish concern. The same way Germany has Neo-Nazis in their parliament is a German concern. The same way Greek unemployment is endemic with no solution in sight is a Greek concern. We just scratch our heads wondering what the hell they’re thinking and naturally, try to make some sense of it. That is why the only place you will find people concerned about Spain having no stable government and the Cataluna problem are Spanish. That is why the only people concerned there are Neo-Nazis in the German parliament are Germans. Outside of those nations no one cares. And no one here cares if they make Brexit their concern or not. No one cares if anyone else thinks it is a good thing or not.

They do not live here.

Like you.

See?

Bipat May 8th 2018 4:17 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12496123)
Exactly so why are you questioning the views in a leading Chinese paper, quoting UK givernment statistics.
There are countries outside of India, many have TV and newspapers..

You don't seem to understand. It is the One view of One Western journalist and nobody has given any indication of who he is except he is obviously not Chinese!
Yes, he quotes a few recent statistics.

The links I have put are of the many different views discussed by known journalists and have been continuing over the almost two years since the referendum.

amideislas May 8th 2018 5:50 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12496130)
You are looking at this with a slanted view. Brexit is British. It is a mainly British concern. The same way Spain cannot form a majority government and the Cataluna problem is a Spanish concern. The same way Germany has Neo-Nazis in their parliament is a German concern. The same way Greek unemployment is endemic with no solution in sight is a Greek concern. We just scratch our heads wondering what the hell they’re thinking and naturally, try to make some sense of it. That is why the only place you will find people concerned about Spain having no stable government and the Cataluna problem are Spanish. That is why the only people concerned there are Neo-Nazis in the German parliament are Germans. Outside of those nations no one cares. And no one here cares if they make Brexit their concern or not. No one cares if anyone else thinks it is a good thing or not.

They do not live here.

Like you.

See?


OK, anyway, back to the point;

Doesn't it seem a little odd that, considering the cold reality of it all, the only people that can find any rationale to conclude that Brexit is a good idea is a minority of the British population? And of those, anyone who might question their wisdom is either themselves questionable, or a flat-out traitor (at least that's the way it often appears from outside the bubble). And by the way, the "rest of the world" has full access to the express, mail, and sun. It's not as though they don't see the ridiculousness of the arguments. Once you take away the flag-waving, the whole premise looks rather dubious.

BristolUK May 8th 2018 6:51 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12496130)
...That is why the only people concerned there are Neo-Nazis in the German parliament are Germans

Really? Have you heard of WW2?

. Outside of those nations no one cares.
Well it rather depends how insular you are.


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:21 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.