British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Annetje May 7th 2018 5:24 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12495649)
How do you know that?

Because that's how it works in wonder lala land ... :nod:

Bipat May 7th 2018 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12495629)
He is a journalist, an economic commentator .
like all those whose opinions you post which support your views.
The difference is he is living in the real world quoting facts .

Yes a journalist writing an article in the Chinese Morning Post. for which he is paid. Is anything else known about him?
You agree with his views, you do not agree with my views.
The difference is that you are convinced your views are "facts", and that only you live in the "real world"!
This is a 'discussion' Forum, most of us are willing to at least consider there are different views to our own and that we personally are not in possession of all knowledge about everything.

EMR May 7th 2018 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Bipat (Post 12495659)
Yes a journalist writing an article in the Chinese Morning Post. for which he is paid. Is anything else known about him?
You agree with his views, you do not agree with my views.
The difference is that you are convinced your views are "facts", and that only you live in the "real world"!
This is a 'discussion' Forum, most of us are willing to at least consider there are different views to our own and that we personally are not in possession of all knowledge about everything.

Its very simple, the economic statistics regarding the UK economy are fact, 0.1%GDP growth in the last quarter.
There is no discussion regarding these statistics , they are facts..
Its not my view but that of the UK government who produces them.

Bipat May 7th 2018 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12495672)
Its very simple, the economic statistics regarding the UK economy are fact, 0.1%GDP growth in the last quarter.

Yes there were statistics in the article regarding the last quarter and other statistics.
I am referring to the overall opinion of the journalist.

DaveLovesDee May 7th 2018 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12495588)
Ywe will agree a sensible FTA with the EU and then move onto others.

The Brexit definition of a sensible FTA with the EU is for the EU giving the UK everything it wants and the UK giving nothing or little in return.

la mancha May 7th 2018 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12495672)

EU growth slows in 2018 first quarter.

https://euobserver.com/tickers/141727

What’s their excuse?

It isn’t a disaster, just economic cycles and world events. Stop trying to blame everything on Brexit. I suppose we will have to put up with this for the foreseeable future and every economic snippet that isn’t to your liking is because of Brexit. If there were none the world would be a perfect place but there are and it isn’t. I have never heard such moaning, ever.

Annetje May 7th 2018 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12495704)

What’s their excuse?

It isn’t a disaster, just economic cycles and world events. Stop trying to blame everything on Brexit. I suppose we will have to put up with this for the foreseeable future and every economic snippet that isn’t to your liking is because of Brexit. If there were none the world would be a perfect place but there are and it isn’t. I have never heard such moaning, ever.

Do you read newspapers from all over the globe or to you have a ''special'' interest in the EU ? (Just wondering)
In case you are worried about the EU, don't be, they will manage.

EMR May 7th 2018 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12495704)

What’s their excuse?

4 times that of the UK.

Strange how you bloated when the UK was higher than the Eurozone, now it's just part of the economic cycle.
what and who will you find to blame after Brexit.

jimenato May 7th 2018 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12495685)
The Brexit definition of a sensible FTA with the EU is for the EU giving the UK everything it wants and the UK giving nothing or little in return.

I think you'll find that there will be two types of Brexiteer in the end.

The first will realise that all this is their fault because they voted for it and will therefore have to make out that the end result is fine - it's what they always wanted and knew it would turn out this way.

The second will be extremely dissatisfied because the end result will not be what they voted for. It will all, of course, be anyone's fault but their own - they will probably mostly blame remainers.

Nobody has a clue what the end result will actually be but it doesn't matter - there will be those two types of Brexiteers.

Lion in Winter May 7th 2018 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12495732)
I think you'll find that there will be two types of Brexiteer in the end.

The first will realise that all this is their fault because they voted for it and will therefore have to make out that the end result is fine - it's what they always wanted and knew it would turn out this way.

The second will be extremely dissatisfied because the end result will not be what they voted for. It will all, of course, be anyone's fault but their own - they will probably mostly blame remainers.

Nobody has a clue what the end result will actually be but it doesn't matter - there will be those two types of Brexiteers.

One more type - those who forgot that they ever voted for it in the first place and can't really remember why when reminded and don't really care and don't think about it ever again. This may, in fact, be the majority group.

And yet, we will have left. A silly exercise from start to finish.

Cape Blue May 7th 2018 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12495648)
So you've just given up huh? You've realised there's nothing that can be done so you'll just accept whatever happens.

Unlike many of you guys, I don't see the heavens collapsing after leaving the EU.

We had a vote, the government sent a leaflet to every household in the country telling them how to vote, democracy was served - there's no "giving up" - sometimes in a democracy you don't get what you voted for, grown ups accept this and move on, children petulantly wail about it.

Time to move on and look at the future more positively.

Cape Blue May 7th 2018 10:10 pm

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12495649)
How do you know that?

Why wouldn't we? It's the sensible position for both parties and the UK gov is seeking one.

Sure, if the EU want to punish the UK and the citizens of the rEU they could try and avoid one - but there's nothing we can do about their issues.

Cape Blue May 7th 2018 10:12 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12495685)

You're being childish as usual.

The FTA will allow both parties to sell their goods and services for no tariffs and non-tariff barriers. As the UK buys more from the EU than it sells to it, it will benefit the EU more in absolute terms.

DaveLovesDee May 7th 2018 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12495754)
You're being childish as usual.

Really! What's childish about it?

All we seem to hear from the pro-Brexit camp is that the EU will give the UK everything it wants because they need us. Bullshit! The amount of trade we have with the EU benefits the UK more, because most of it is stuff we don't grow, make or otherwise in the UK.

But the EU's trade with the UK isn't a massive amount in the grand scheme of things for the EU.

Cape Blue May 7th 2018 10:32 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12495761)
Really! What's childish about it?

How about arguing the point instead of making a petty ad-hom.

It's childish because it's petulant about the UK and of course, entirely untrue.

I did argue the point, are you unable to read.