British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Apr 19th 2018 3:43 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Very interesting article in the Spectator regarding progress on Brexit, immigration , etc. .
The so called " global vision " of a post brexit UK.
One point will have more than a few chewing the carpets,.
Since the vote for every 10 EU citizens who have left 17 have arrived, proof if needed that the economy will continue be the driver for immigration.
Reference is also made to Windrush and the status of EU citizens who now live in the UK..

EMR Apr 19th 2018 3:44 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12485121)
May now has to sort out the mess over the decision to destroy the landing cards taken under the then Labour government in 2009.

Just as NO jobs were at risk at DLR .

la mancha Apr 19th 2018 3:47 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12485131)
Just as NO jobs were at risk at DLR .

What?

EMR Apr 19th 2018 3:55 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12485132)
What?

Are there any jobs at risk at DLR .
You must know.

la mancha Apr 19th 2018 4:03 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12485142)
Are there any jobs at risk at DLR .
You must know.

The present contract at De La Rue runs for another 18 months or so. That is when we may see job cuts. Your post is about as good as LIW’s. Full of BS.

EMR Apr 19th 2018 4:17 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12485145)
The present contract at De La Rue runs for another 18 months or so. That is when we may see job cuts. Your post is about as good as LIW’s. Full of BS.


The words of Corporal Jones come to mind 🤔

Lion in Winter Apr 19th 2018 4:24 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12485145)
The present contract at De La Rue runs for another 18 months or so. That is when we may see job cuts. Your post is about as good as LIW’s. Full of BS.

Could you point out the BS please? As far as I know I simply stated a fact as reported about the company given the contract. What is false, exactly?


Secondly, De La Rue is currently in trouble for a series of reasons unrelated to to the passport contract, since, as you say, it is still in effect.

From the Beeb link:

"Full-year operating profit will fall short of £70.2m in operating income for the previous 12 months. As well as the cost of bidding to make post-Brexit passports, it said there had been "delays in the shipment of certain contracts" in the last week of the financial year. "

Sounds as though they have been having trouble in filling other contracts and so have not been paid. Which as far as I'm concerned is the company's management's fault, no?

Lion in Winter Apr 19th 2018 4:25 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12485154)
The words of Corporal Jones come to mind 🤔


"They don't like it up 'em"?

Lion in Winter Apr 19th 2018 4:27 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12485122)
Ah, so 70 jobs haven’t been created. They should be created.

Why would they be created before the work starts? As you have said yourself, De La Rue still has the contract for another 18 months. And it actually says "would" not "should".

De La Rue is pressing forward with making passports and other items for other countries, it seems. Stealing their jobs :)

"Mr Sutherland said: "We have the contract for another 18 months, that gives us plenty of time to take stock, refocus and drive forward on the international front so we haven't made any decisions about jobs in Gateshead."

Businesses these days are international La Mancha, you just have to accept that. French companies create jobs for British workers and British companies create jobs for Thai, Spanish, Chinese, Indian etc etc workers.

la mancha Apr 19th 2018 4:43 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12485159)
Could you point out the BS please? As far as I know I simply stated a fact as reported about the company given the contract. What is false, exactly?


Secondly, De La Rue is currently in trouble for a series of reasons unrelated to to the passport contract, since, as you say, it is still in effect.

From the Beeb link:

"Full-year operating profit will fall short of £70.2m in operating income for the previous 12 months. As well as the cost of bidding to make post-Brexit passports, it said there had been "delays in the shipment of certain contracts" in the last week of the financial year. "

Sounds as though they have been having trouble in filling other contracts and so have not been paid. Which as far as I'm concerned is the company's management's fault, no?

The BS is you are stating a fact which isn’t. Seventy jobs have not been created.

Since you need to bring up the viability or lack of management at De La Rue, something which this is not about, let us continue on that thread for a bit. Gemalto issued three profit warnings in 2017. There are also security issues with the products of this company. The decision has been made. I am moving on but don't expect me to believe the 'fact' that seventy jobs have been created, because they quite simply have not.

Lion in Winter Apr 19th 2018 4:50 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12485168)
The BS is you are stating a fact which isn’t. Seventy jobs have not been created.

Since you need to bring up the viability or lack of management at De La Rue, something which this is not about, let us continue on that thread for a bit. Gemalto issued three profit warnings in 2017. There are also security issues with the products of this company. The decision has been made. I am moving on but don't expect me to believe the 'fact' that seventy jobs have been created, because they quite simply have not.

There is a differernce between "have" and "will", isn't there? I'm not sure what you're upset about. I don't seem to have said that they "have" been created at all:confused: I did report on what the company itself says will happen when they get the work 18 months from now. Still not seeing the BS.


My point about the management troubles at De La Rue was that if there are any layoffs in the near future it will be difficult to attribute them to the loss of the UK passport contract since they a)are still fulfilling that contract and b)if they do actually have any economic difficulties, which is not clear, there are a whole series of possible causes so it's very difficult to attribute them to one contract. They have said themselves that no job losses are planned, since they obviously have more than one customer. They themselves say that they are "the biggest commercial passport producer in the world".

EMR Apr 19th 2018 4:54 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12485168)
The BS is you are stating a fact which isn’t. Seventy jobs have not been created.

Since you need to bring up the viability or lack of management at De La Rue, something which this is not about, let us continue on that thread for a bit. Gemalto issued three profit warnings in 2017. There are also security issues with the products of this company. The decision has been made. I am moving on but don't expect me to believe the 'fact' that seventy jobs have been created, because they quite simply have not.

The security ingredient of the passport is added afterwards in the UK by the .UK passport offices.
Its just a printing contract that has been awarded.
As production has yet to start why would any jobs have been created..
I am not bothered I am more than happy to get a new red cover, not so anal as to be fixated on its colour,

la mancha Apr 19th 2018 5:06 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12485174)
There is a differernce between "have" and "will", isn't there? I'm not sure what you're upset about. I don't seem to have said that they "have" been created at all:confused: I did report on what the company itself says will happen when they get the work 18 months from now. Still not seeing the BS.


My point about the management troubles at De La Rue was that if there are any layoffs in the near future it will be difficult to attribute them to the loss of the UK passport contract since they a)are still fulfilling that contract and b)if they do actually have any economic difficulties, which is not clear, there are a whole series of possible causes so it's very difficult to attribute them to one contract. They have said themselves that no job losses are planned, since they obviously have more than one customer. They themselves say that they are "the biggest commercial passport producer in the world".

Okay, you are levering away into the management of De La Rue now which isn’t what I am talking about.

When you say, and this is not a quote from the media but what you said, ‘So I see the Franco Dutch company's passport deal is final, a with a quite substantial savings for the UK's public coffers (maybe they could give it to the NHS?) and 70 new jobs in the UK., you don’t mean seventy new jobs in the UK? You don’t seem to have said that. You sound more like Red now.

I am not upset, just bewildered by all of you who say and imply things and then say it’s nothing to do with me, I didn’t say that, I don’t seem to have said that.

Lion in Winter Apr 19th 2018 5:13 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12485186)
Okay, you are levering away into the management of De La Rue now which isn’t what I am talking about.

When you say, and this is not a quote from the media but what you said, ‘So I see the Franco Dutch company's passport deal is final, a with a quite substantial savings for the UK's public coffers (maybe they could give it to the NHS?) and 70 new jobs in the UK., you don’t mean seventy new jobs in the UK? You don’t seem to have said that. You sound more like Red now.

I am not upset, just bewildered by all of you who say and imply things and then say it’s nothing to do with me, I didn’t say that, I don’t seem to have said that.


I have no idea what you're on about. Why does saying "70 new jobs in the UK" imply they they have already been created, when that company's contract is still 18 months away? Why not just accept this as a piece of good news for the future, since your original concern was job loss for British workers? Surely it's not the case that new jobs are only good news if reported by someone who voted Leave?

There must be very few businesses of any size at all left that are not international in this way. De La Rue is creating jobs in other countries, and companies from other countries are creating jobs in ours. That's how it works.

la mancha Apr 19th 2018 5:23 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12485192)
I have no idea what you're on about. Why does saying "70 new jobs in the UK" imply they they have already been created, when that company's contract is still 18 months away? Why not just accept this as a piece of good news for the future, since your original concern was job loss for British workers? Surely it's not the case that new jobs are only good news if reported by someone who voted Leave?

There must be very few businesses of any size at all left that are not international in this way. De La Rue is creating jobs in other countries, and companies from other countries are creating jobs in ours. That's how it works.

Because you use the words, ‘the deal is final…quite substantial savings…and 70 new jobs in the UK’. Seventy new jobs in the UK are not final. If you cannot see that I’ll leave it there.


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:30 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.