British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

EMR Apr 19th 2018 10:20 am

Re: Post EU Referendum

Laman and those who think that way going into orgasmic throes of delight at the thought of the decline in migration may well be right but not for the reasons they believe.
Shop Direct is closing 3 distribution centre losing 2000 jobs as it plans to open a new automated mega centre..
Amazon has already started down that road.
UK high street sales continue to decline, Debenhams hitting the headlines.
Yes there will be fewer job opportunities for migrants but also fewer for the unskilled, poorly educated, Brit..
At least you can not automate the care sector, not yet anyway.

EMR Apr 19th 2018 10:20 am

Laman and those who think that way going into orgasmic throes of delight at the thought of the decline in migration may well be right but not for the reasons they believe.
Shop Direct is closing 3 distribution centre losing 2000 jobs as it plans to open a new automated mega centre..
Amazon has already started down that road.
UK high street sales continue to decline, Debenhams hitting the headlines.
Yes there will be fewer job opportunities for migrants but also fewer for the unskilled, poorly educated, Brit..
At least you can not automate the care sector, not yet anyway.

Ingles Apr 19th 2018 10:28 am

[QUOTE=la mancha;12484510]I didn’t say they are coming rather than going, did I?

The EU talent pool? Talent? Suitably qualified and skilled workers? You want to come round here where I am, mate, and see these suitably qualified and skilled workers.

I know of job agencies here in London that are staffed by East Europeans and I have talked to English people looking for work through these agencies, genuinely looking for a job on the minimum wage on a permanent basis just to get into work, who are being obstructed and rejected because the agencies’ staff only take their own from their eastern EU member states. As for needing them for a while yet, yes, only until we have completely left the EU then they can all p*** off somewhere else. I have spoken to desperate people who want to work but cannot get through the agencies who have a stranglehold on the lower end jobs market. I have seen these jobs for the lower end (forget the EU talent pool) advertised on EU member state government work websites. The sooner this comes to an end the better. One very good reason for Brexit.[/QUOTE

Reads like your a utter Racist :thumbdown:

jimenato Apr 19th 2018 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Ingles (Post 12484866)

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12484510)
I didn’t say they are coming rather than going, did I?

The EU talent pool? Talent? Suitably qualified and skilled workers? You want to come round here where I am, mate, and see these suitably qualified and skilled workers.

I know of job agencies here in London that are staffed by East Europeans and I have talked to English people looking for work through these agencies, genuinely looking for a job on the minimum wage on a permanent basis just to get into work, who are being obstructed and rejected because the agencies’ staff only take their own from their eastern EU member states. As for needing them for a while yet, yes, only until we have completely left the EU then they can all p*** off somewhere else. I have spoken to desperate people who want to work but cannot get through the agencies who have a stranglehold on the lower end jobs market. I have seen these jobs for the lower end (forget the EU talent pool) advertised on EU member state government work websites. The sooner this comes to an end the better. One very good reason for Brexit.

Reads like your a utter Racist :thumbdown:

That bit in red - bit like what's happening to the Windrush people huh?

Bet the Brexiteers are delighted with the way we are treating them and can't wait to treat the EU immigrants in a similar disgusting fashion.

Ingles Apr 19th 2018 10:35 am

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12484872)

Bet the Brexiteers are delighted with the way we are treating them and can't wait to treat the EU immigrants in a similar disgusting fashion.

According to Grove :rofl:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...-politics-live

This is going to put a lot off the "leavers" nose's out off joint

Red Eric Apr 19th 2018 10:46 am

Oooh no, you can't say that!

The Windrush people are national treasures now, a travesty caught up in an unfeeling, heartless system. There's a campaign for them - have you signed it yet? If not, what have you done? (but we'll turn a completely blind eye to goodness knows how many countless other people in slightly different circumstances who have been no less unjustifiably shabbily treated, hassled, wrongly threatened, detained and deported).

amideislas Apr 19th 2018 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12484818)
Germany has the massively suppressed currency, making it tens of billions more pa than if there were just on the Dmark.

If that were only true. But in any case, good job we're leaving that hellhole of prosperity.

Cape Blue Apr 19th 2018 10:58 am

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12484881)
If that were only true. But in any case, good job we're leaving that hellhole of prosperity.

It's entirely true and well-known that Germany's suppressed currency has been a huge boon for an exporting country.

DaveLovesDee Apr 19th 2018 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12484891)
It's entirely true and well-known that Germany's suppressed currency has been a huge boon for an exporting country.

Could the UK have had a suppressed currency if we'd joined the Euro?

It's a shame the pound was overvalued, holding back the UK.

la mancha Apr 19th 2018 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Red Eric (Post 12484880)
Oooh no, you can't say that!

The Windrush people are national treasures now, a travesty caught up in an unfeeling, heartless system. There's a campaign for them - have you signed it yet? If not, what have you done? (but we'll turn a completely blind eye to goodness knows how many countless other people in slightly different circumstances who have been no less unjustifiably shabbily treated, hassled, wrongly threatened, detained and deported).

I said a few pages back I regarded the Mail campaign for Windrush admirable because the people affected have every right to be here as I have. I expected the resulting piss-taking from posters such as yourself.

But here we have it again, when CB told you, ‘Finally you are starting to see sense.’

You replied; ‘I think you'll find it was the government that was finally persuaded to start seeing sense and I don't have any influence with them.'

You put the dig in yet again, and this time there is no implication as you actually said it, ‘And there's still over 2 and a half years of mass-uncontrolled influx to come,’ but there you go: ‘it wasn’t me’…’nothing to do with me’.

Brilliant.

la mancha Apr 19th 2018 1:18 pm

Ingles, I cannot quote you as your quotes are messed up so I will add my comment to Jim’s here.

Yes, the same old phrase thrown my way. See what I mean? Whenever I say something you Remainers don’t like, I am a racist. It will be a good thing when this EU unskilled talent pool all piss off somewhere else and take their agency staff with them because then the people I am talking to will get work. If that is racism then I am a racist.

No, Jim, that is not a bit like what is happening with Windrush. Why do you Remainers always try to draw a comparison with something completely different to try to make a point?

Lion in Winter Apr 19th 2018 1:21 pm

So I see the Franco Dutch company's passport deal is final, a with a quite substantial savings for the UK's public coffers (maybe they could give it to the NHS?) and 70 new jobs in the UK.

materialcontroller Apr 19th 2018 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12484971)
So I see the Franco Dutch company's passport deal is final, a with a quite substantial savings for the UK's public coffers (maybe they could give it to the NHS?) and 70 new jobs in the UK.

Perhaps when the deal is next up for renewal, we could find even more substantial savings from companies in, for example India, Brazil or Thailand; without the EU telling us that we can't do business with whoever we want.

la mancha Apr 19th 2018 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12484971)

Can you tell me where these 70 new jobs are located?

Red Eric Apr 19th 2018 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12484965)
I said a few pages back I regarded the Mail campaign for Windrush admirable because the people affected have every right to be here as I have.

As have any number of other people caught up in May's ill-advised "hostile environment" policy and its application.

I do hope the Mail starts a campaign for all of them too, soon and that you see your way to signing it :thumbup: