British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Cape Blue Apr 16th 2018 12:45 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Ingles (Post 12482574)
Any comments over £ massive fall against the €
Would be very interested :sarcasm:

It's not the £ weak against the euro, it's that the euro has strengthened against a range of currencies, nothing to do with Brexit unless you think Japan and the US were part of the Brexit decision.

Sterling is now the same against the world reserve currency the US$ and the same against the Yen as it was before the referendum. Unfortunately the welcome softening has reversed.

Ingles Apr 16th 2018 12:50 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12482583)
It's not the £ weak against the euro, it's that the euro has strengthened against a range of currencies, nothing to do with Brexit unless you think Japan and the US were part of the Brexit decision.

Sterling is now the same against the world reserve currency the US$ and the same against the Yen as it was before the referendum. Unfortunately the welcome softening has reversed.

OMG :- You should be appointed Press Officer for Trump :rofl:

Cape Blue Apr 16th 2018 12:57 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12295795)
One big flaw in Your argument.
World commodity prices are in dollars , so as happened on day 1 after the referendum and since then , input costs for every imported RAW material , product used by British manufacturers has risen.

Manufacturing margins are affected and the advantage of a lower sterling for exporters also significantly reduced.
This is reality and has been since the referendum.
Plus of course the possibility on tarrifs of imported materials and components.
Why do you think the Auto industry has been queuing up outside of No10 asking for assurances and support.

Looks like you'll be happy now that Sterling is back where it was to the US$.

Cape Blue Apr 16th 2018 12:58 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Ingles (Post 12482586)
OMG :- You should be appointed Press Officer for Trump :rofl:

I can't help it you don't understand the difference.

EMR Apr 16th 2018 1:23 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12482591)
Looks like you'll be happy now that Sterling is back where it was to the US$.

I would if commodity prices were not surging.
Trumps sanctions against Russia has increased the base price of Aluminium by almost 200dollars a tonne as Russia is one of the world's biggest producers.

Cape Blue Apr 16th 2018 1:44 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12482613)
I would if commodity prices were not surging.
Trumps sanctions against Russia has increased the base price of Aluminium by almost 200dollars a tonne as Russia is one of the world's biggest producers.

But not a brexit issue and a level playing field for all.

EMR Apr 16th 2018 1:49 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12482633)
But not a brexit issue and a level playing field for all.

But one that negates the rise of sterling against the dollar.
Impacts on costs for us all, fuel up by 2p ltr.
As you confirm, recent currency movements are not related to Brexit.

amideislas Apr 16th 2018 8:54 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
If it's good, it's because of Brexit. If it's bad, it's because of the EU.

Cape Blue Apr 17th 2018 6:45 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12482913)
If it's good, it's because of Brexit. If it's bad, it's because of the EU.

I've never said that - when Sterling was softening after the referendum I merely mentioned that the IMF had said it was up to 20% over valued and it needed to soften. The recent strengthening might not be a good thing for the UK.

amideislas Apr 17th 2018 7:00 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12483096)
I've never said that - when Sterling was softening after the referendum I merely mentioned that the IMF had said it was up to 20% over valued and it needed to soften. The recent strengthening might not be a good thing for the UK.

Ya think? Do you assume everything orbits you?

Cape Blue Apr 17th 2018 7:06 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12483105)
Ya think? Do you assume everything orbits you?

Blah, blah, blah.

You made a comment, I replied that it's not something that I've said. Feel free to point out who has made that claim or you're just spouting hot air as usual.

DaveLovesDee Apr 17th 2018 9:35 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12483096)
I've never said that - when Sterling was softening after the referendum I merely mentioned that the IMF had said it was up to 20% over valued and it needed to soften. The recent strengthening might not be a good thing for the UK.

'Experts' said the £ was overvalued. I thought Brexiters didn't like experts.

Wasn't the £ supposedly 'overvalued' because of confidence in the currency? But that's less of a problem post-referendum.

Annetje Apr 17th 2018 10:56 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Hey Blue boy, remember you said UK people only move to EU countries to retire ? Guess what ...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...0&CMP=ema-3239

All early retirees ?

amideislas Apr 17th 2018 12:20 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12483106)
Blah, blah, blah.

You made a comment, I replied that it's not something that I've said. Feel free to point out who has made that claim or you're just spouting hot air as usual.

I never said you said that. You assumed I did, presumably because you seem to think everything is about you. A little humility is a good thing. You shouldn't resist it.

Cape Blue Apr 17th 2018 1:49 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12483235)
Hey Blue boy, remember you said UK people only move to EU countries to retire ? Guess what ...

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...0&CMP=ema-3239

All early retirees ?

Mostly early retirees yes.

40% of Brits in Spain over 65 - https://www.theguardian.com/politics...es-in-10-years
Many others will be early retirees - the baby-boom generation with final-salary pensions.

Interesting that:

The UK has the smallest proportion of emigrants living in another EU country than any other EU country


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:10 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.