British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Lion in Winter Apr 2nd 2018 9:23 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12474635)
Holy crap, you're insecure, aren't you?


So would you be if you were channeling your inner Taylor Swift several times a day.

SultanOfSwing Apr 2nd 2018 9:24 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12474681)
So would you be if you were channeling your inner Taylor Swift several times a day.

:lol:

DaveLovesDee Apr 2nd 2018 9:26 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12474681)
So would you be if you were channeling your inner Taylor Swift several times a day.

He just can't Shake It Off. :p

Cape Blue Apr 2nd 2018 9:44 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12474661)
Oh, come on, don't just give in and throw out the 'I know you are, but what am I?' reply.

I'm disappointed.

Unlike you I am not a practiced online ad-hom troll.

macliam Apr 2nd 2018 10:14 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing (Post 12474606)
Ah, she's a West Brit, then :lol:

Ah sha, grá mo chroí, there's a sense of pride welling up..... Culchies of the world unite! :thumbsup:

macliam Apr 2nd 2018 10:35 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12474629)
You started off this round with:
when I was making some perfectly reasonable points back and forth with Jimenato - the first thing out of your mouth was typical hatred and ad-hominem.

I suggested I would ignore your ad-hom and anti-British attitude and you then move onto:


You then move onto questioning the character of the UK:
Whereas the reality is that the UK has been a pretty decent and upstanding country compared to many across the EU over the past 100 years. It is this knee-jerk anti-British (mostly English) that permeates so many of the Celtic fringe.

You can always find an ABE when it comes to sport - here where you are happy the English are losing - it's not happy the Irish are doing well, it's enjoyment about the English losing. I have spent time amongst many Celts, they are taught their ABE at an early age and no matter how far they travel from the next, it seems to stick with them. It does not do them justice and makes them a small and petty people.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/loung.../#post12460404

I don't blame you, it's often hard to shed the bigotry instilled in ones youth.

It's a tiny amount compared to the Irish who moved to the UK and we were talking about moving to work not retiring.

Sorry, you claimed I showed anti-English bigotry, I did not, I called you out. I openly admit to pride in my nationhood, but it's a sad thing that you only see that as demeaning yours, the UK deserves better.

You were the one who claimed I was anti-British and the best you can come up with is that I took the pi$$ out of rugby pundits bigging up the England team. Well, news for you, I'm not alone.

You are correct, many Irishmen, me among them, moved to the UK to work, pay our taxes and raise our families. I'll not apologise for that - but I guess we know your attitude to migrants.


Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12474695)
Unlike you I am not a practiced online ad-hom troll.

I think we all know what you are.......!! You are a dinosaur of a kind I have met rarely in the last 45 years and your fellow countrymen will be ashamed of you. I was right, you are a dick - and a racist dick at that. That is not an ad-hom, it is a comment, I suggest you look up the difference.

amideislas Apr 3rd 2018 6:24 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12474721)

I think we all know what you are.......!! You are a dinosaur of a kind I have met rarely in the last 45 years and your fellow countrymen will be ashamed of you. I was right, you are a dick - and a racist dick at that. That is not an ad-hom, it is a comment, I suggest you look up the difference.

He's funny though. Virtually anything he doesn't like is an "ad-hom" attack, because "it's all you got left" in the face of his superior logic and intellect.

But the most amusing thing is that whenever he runs out of argument, he resorts to name calling and personal attacks. Like he just did with you...

Personally, I find him quite entertaining. Especially since I really don't think he sees the irony. Like a straight man in a comedy.

amideislas Apr 3rd 2018 8:08 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Meanwhile... I thought this was amusing:

The Irish Border (@BorderIrish) Tweeted:
This afternoon I was watching a guy in Pettigo trying to build a garden shed. He had it half built. Then it fell down. His neighbour looked over the fence and said ‘Sam, are you ok?’. Sam said ‘I’ve made a complete f**king Brexit of it.’ And his neighbour said ‘You have, surely’. https://twitter.com/BorderIrish/stat...485838848?s=20

It seems the word "Brexit" is becoming synonymous with "FUBAR".

Cape Blue Apr 3rd 2018 9:17 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by macliam (Post 12474721)
Sorry, you claimed I showed anti-English bigotry, I did not, I called you out. I openly admit to pride in my nationhood, but it's a sad thing that you only see that as demeaning yours, the UK deserves better.

You were the one who claimed I was anti-British and the best you can come up with is that I took the pi$$ out of rugby pundits bigging up the England team. Well, news for you, I'm not alone.

You are correct, many Irishmen, me among them, moved to the UK to work, pay our taxes and raise our families. I'll not apologise for that - but I guess we know your attitude to migrants.


I think we all know what you are.......!! You are a dinosaur of a kind I have met rarely in the last 45 years and your fellow countrymen will be ashamed of you. I was right, you are a dick - and a racist dick at that. That is not an ad-hom, it is a comment, I suggest you look up the difference.

You stated the UK cannot be trusted, entirely irrational in the face of all evidence, a clear sign of bigotry.

Like many ABE you revel in English sports failure - anti-Englishness writ large.

I was not commenting at all upon your history and move to the UK - that's a strawman argument.

The rest is all the usual ad-hominem - "dinosaur", "dick", "racist dick" (do you even know what "racist" means or have you been colluding with EMR?) - they are comments of ad-hom.

DaveLovesDee Apr 3rd 2018 10:24 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12474945)
You stated the UK cannot be trusted, entirely irrational in the face of all evidence, a clear sign of bigotry.

I don't think the UK government can be trusted either.

Why British people don’t trust the government any more – and what can be done about it

UK Government ‘can’t be trusted to handle immigration’

Government 'can't be trusted' on promises to the North, regional leaders say

A government that for the last 3 elections, have made promises to bring migration down to 'tens of thousands' without making any reduction in the number of migrants they have sole control of, they make promises they have no intention of keeping.

Those at the bottom have suffered years of 'austerity' and 1% or less pay rises, while those at the top have seen massive pay rises and tax cuts.

You say 'in the face of clear evidence'. What evidence is that?


Like many ABE you revel in English sports failure - anti-Englishness writ large.
I'm English, and I like to laugh the misfortunes of the English teams. It's not because I'm anti-English, it's because I'm fed-up that in any major tournament the media and the public expect the national teams to win the tournament. Our teams aren't good enough for that at this time, and even the 'golden generation of Beckham, Scholes and co couldn't do it. The hype is just ridiculous.

Germany overhauled their football coaching set-up years ago, and are doing better now and producing more world-class players. England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland need to improve the coaching and development of players. The current system doesn't work.

I'd love any of our national teams to win the World Cup, Euros, Rugby World Cup, 6 Nations and whatever the cricket equivalents are, but we're not going to anytime soon, despite the hype.

Take the England football team. Harry Kane is probably the only English player who would be in the top-20 of European players, likewise Gareth Bale for Wales. And who'd replace them when they're injured or they retire from international football?

macliam Apr 3rd 2018 11:18 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12474945)
You stated the UK cannot be trusted, entirely irrational in the face of all evidence, a clear sign of bigotry.

Like many ABE you revel in English sports failure - anti-Englishness writ large.

I was not commenting at all upon your history and move to the UK - that's a strawman argument.

The rest is all the usual ad-hominem - "dinosaur", "dick", "racist dick" (do you even know what "racist" means or have you been colluding with EMR?) - they are comments of ad-hom.

"Racist - a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another". I'd say immediately dismissing my argument because I'm Irish and brooking no criticism of the UK meets that definition. Equally distorting history to suit your argument does you no favours - or would you prefer Chauvinist?

You still haven't looked up the meaning of ad-hominem either, have you? Go back to your bubble, the real world is too tough for you.

Lion in Winter Apr 3rd 2018 11:52 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Would this be a good moment to mention that Ireland crushed England in Six Nations a couple of weeks ago :p

Come on Cape, I know a sense of humour isn't allowed post Brexit, but really. Get a grip man.

DaveLovesDee Apr 3rd 2018 11:59 am

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12475053)
Would this be a good moment to mention that Ireland crushed England in Six Nations a couple of weeks ago :p

And every other home nation (plus France) finished above them.

jimenato Apr 3rd 2018 12:20 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 
Right - that's it.

If you're going to talk about England's 6 Nations performance I'm off.:frown:

Lion in Winter Apr 3rd 2018 1:02 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum
 

Originally Posted by jimenato (Post 12475070)
Right - that's it.

If you're going to talk about England's 6 Nations performance I'm off.:frown:


It's ok, you're among friends. We all hate England here.

Apparently.


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:57 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.