British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Take it Outside! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/)
-   -   Post EU Referendum (https://britishexpats.com/forum/take-outside-67/post-eu-referendum-879308/)

Lynn R Mar 30th 2018 3:37 pm

Re: Post EU Referendum

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12473059)
Did you sign the petition?

De La Rue have not announced any redundancies at their Gateshead operation, nor even said there might be any. On the other hand, the company who won the contract will be creating 70 jobs at their sites in Hampshire and Heywood, Greater Manchester. So why all the hysteria, and what on earth is there to sign a petition for about imaginary job losses?

De La Rue did, however, cut 60 jobs at Gateshead in 2015, after cutting 40 at another of their UK sites. Where were you with your petitions then?

60 jobs to go at De La Rue in Gateshead | The Northern Echo

Perhaps you should turn your attention to trying to save the jobs of the 390 people who received redundancy notices (real ones) at Five Star Fish in Grimsby last week, or all those who will lose their jobs when 100 Prezzo branches close down, or New Look branches, or Carpetright workers ...

EMR Mar 30th 2018 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 12473109)
De La Rue have not announced any redundancies at their Gateshead operation, nor even said there might be any. On the other hand, the company who won the contract will be creating 70 jobs at their sites in Hampshire and Heywood, Greater Manchester. So why all the hysteria, and what on earth is there to sign a petition for about imaginary job losses?

De La Rue did, however, cut 60 jobs at Gateshead in 2015, after cutting 40 at another of their UK sites. Where were you with your petitions then?

Perhaps you should turn your attention to trying to save the jobs of the 390 people who received redundancy notices (real ones) at Five Star Fish in Grimsby last week, or all those who will lose their jobs when 100 Prezzo branches close down, or New Look branches, or Carpetright workers ...

Don,t confuse brexiters with facts, it's not fair .

DaveLovesDee Mar 30th 2018 3:58 pm

And Maplin and Toys 'R' Us....

Its dog whistle media.

Lynn R Mar 30th 2018 4:02 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12473126)
And Maplin and Toys 'R' Us....

Its dog whistle media.

And General Electric where 1,100 proposed job losses have already been announced in Stafford and Rugby.

https://staffslive.co.uk/2018/01/113...18/01/113060//

Or Wrightbus in Northern Ireland where 95 job losses were announced last month (and other really major upcoming job losses in NI are listed in this article)

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/b...-36596733.html

Nary a word heard from those who are now suddenly so very concerned about job losses which have not even been threatened.

"Mr Sutherland - who has challenged Prime Minister Theresa May and Home Secretary Amber Rudd to visit Gateshead to explain the decision to the workforce - hasn’t said how the Tyneside jobs would be affected but did say the company would have to find new work."

Lion in Winter Mar 30th 2018 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Cape Blue (Post 12473054)
And you took the bait - like shooting goldfish in a barrel.

I don't think bait is involved when shooting fish. I could be wrong though.

la mancha Mar 30th 2018 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Alianco (Post 12473081)
We sold up and are heading to France on Wednesday. Sometimes I get a little nervous. When I do I come and read this thread, particularly the ranting of lamancha, and I realise that it is as bad as I thought it was. Then I feel fine about going.

I think if you get nervous with a healthy discussion you would be better off in a safe space in France.

la mancha Mar 30th 2018 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by DaveLovesDee (Post 12473082)
Will it safeguard those jobs? Are those jobs at risk?

But there'll be crop picking jobs available because EU migrants are going elsewhere due to Brexit uncertainty.

There you go then. There will be crop picking jobs available…big joke. We don’t know if the jobs at De La Rue will be safeguarded or whether they are at risk but we have a chance to show where our sympathies lie. We have a chance to have our say and you do not want to know. Okay, don’t sign the petition. After all, it’s only British workers.

la mancha Mar 30th 2018 5:07 pm

Originally Posted by EMR (Post 12473102)
I have my numerous reasons not to sign the petition.
First UK jobs are not at risk, it's a daily Mail idea, I do not want to keep company with those who think , read , and support anything proposed by the Mail when it comes to Brexit.
Secondly I want nothing to do with bigoted idiots who challenge the patriotism of anyone who does not agree with them.

Okay, so you don’t like the Daily Mail. A weak excuse but there you go. Then you won’t have any quibbles about signing a petition launched by UNITE. UNITE has joined with the Mirror and launched a petition for people to sign to safeguard De La Rue jobs.

Sign the petition against this betrayal of British workers here, is what the Unite website says.

Soldarity Trade Union - 23/03/2018 - Outrage as government betrays British workers

Will you sign it, to support British workers, as UNITE says?

Lion in Winter Mar 30th 2018 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12473167)
There you go then. There will be crop picking jobs available…big joke. We don’t know if the jobs at De La Rue will be safeguarded or whether they are at risk but we have a chance to show where our sympathies lie. We have a chance to have our say and you do not want to know. Okay, don’t sign the petition. After all, it’s only British workers.

Oh please. You don't own patriotism, you don't own the defense of British interests, and you don't own any litmus tests for who cares about these things and who does not. Nobody here reports to you or owes you any explanation. Job insecurity and economic deprivation have been inflicted on British workers for a long, long time, and certainly during our lifetimes - how many "petitions" have you signed when it isn't about silly blue passports? Who have you voted for and who have you held accountable before the dog whistles came out for Brexit? Give it a rest.

la mancha Mar 30th 2018 5:10 pm

You do not understand what I am saying so let me explain it again. All it takes is one click to sign a petition. Why not do it?

I know there are many job losses around as there have always been, all the while we are in the EU. But this is different. People have a say in trying to safeguard job losses at De La Rue, or do we wait until job losses are announced then blame the Tories or Brexit or La Mancha? It isn’t about job losses as such. It is about why people will not sign the petition. Why?

Usually we do not have a say with job losses in this country but here we have a simple way to express our views and I wonder why so many do not want to take the opportunity. That is why UNITE has arranged another petition with the Mirror. And all I get is excuses like yours why we should do nothing.

Or do we just let it go and fall back on Whataboutism? Your Whataboutism is just a way of diverting attention away from what I am saying. I am surprised you use it.

Annetje Mar 30th 2018 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12473175)
Oh please. You don't own patriotism, you don't own the defense of British interests, and you don't own any litmus tests for who cares about these things and who does not. Nobody here reports to you or owes you any explanation. Job insecurity and economic deprivation have been inflicted on British workers for a long, long time, and certainly during our lifetimes - how many "petitions" have you signed when it isn't about silly blue passports? Who have you voted for and who have you held accountable before the dog whistles came out for Brexit? Give it a rest.

... And why do they have a French name ?????

EMR Mar 30th 2018 5:13 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12473172)
Okay, so you don’t like the Daily Mail. A weak excuse but there you go. Then you won’t have any quibbles about signing a petition launched by UNITE. UNITE has joined with the Mirror and launched a petition for people to sign to safeguard De La Rue jobs.

Sign the petition against this betrayal of British workers here, is what the Unite website says.

Soldarity Trade Union - 23/03/2018 - Outrage as government betrays British workers

Will you sign it, to support British workers, as UNITE says?

Not when you and those who think like you challenge the patriotism of anyone who does not have your narrow minded view of events and ignorance of facts.
All De la Rue have to do is show their patriotism and support of the British passport holders and not rip off the UK taxpayer by over 100million.
Match the competitive bid.

la mancha Mar 30th 2018 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 12473175)

It isn’t about job insecurity or economic deprivation or blue passports (nice diversion, by the way) but the simple fact that people on here will not sign a petition to safeguard British jobs and not one of you will say why.

And please, do not come out with the ‘give it a rest’. That is a puerile response.

Bipat Mar 30th 2018 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by Annetje (Post 12473179)
... And why do they have a French name ?????

Just looked it up. Apparently the founder originated in Guernsey, came to the UK to make hats.
The new chief financial officer is Jitesh Sodha--(we know his family origins!!)
There have been scandals in the past concerning bank notes printed on substandard paper.

Cape Blue Mar 30th 2018 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by la mancha (Post 12473184)
It isn’t about job insecurity or economic deprivation or blue passports (nice diversion, by the way) but the simple fact that people on here will not sign a petition to safeguard British jobs and not one of you will say why.

And please, do not come out with the ‘give it a rest’. That is a puerile response.

Puerile, petty, passive-aggressive - it's all she's got. I rarely bother with her apart from the odd prod to let her show her colours.